Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
No your children will not be able to atttend any school in the county...they are all overcrowded and won't let others in (with a few exceptions and generally you wouldn't want to go to those schools..I got the list last year) Davidson is a great school if your child has special needs as I have some friends whose kids go there who have special needs (1 is autistic) I would talk to each of the schools about their special needs programs before you commit to one...a friend of mine is now homeschooling her SN child after pulling her out of Cornelius..they do not have a good program.

good luck!!!
I know a lady that is having problems finding appropriate schooling for her special needs child. They just don't handle them the same down here as they do up north and it should be a special consideration when buying a home. I guess he's a special needs but mainstreamed with assistance. From how I understand it, they don't mainstream kids with his needs and cannot find assistance to get what he needs. So I think the school should be a priority in an instance such as this, and then the home. I think that couple did it backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,561 times
Red face Torrence/Hopewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey View Post
Hey there, everyone. I am hearing so many conflicting reports regarding Mecklenburg School System and how horrible it is but yet, isn't Torrencecreek Elem. in Meckenburg (or Union) and Hopewell High School (middle school?) seemed nice too (Mecklenburg?). Perhaps it just depends on the specific school that your child goes to? Also, is it true that if I am willing to provide the transportation, my children (right now ages 3 1/2 and 2 1/2) can attend any school in Mecklenburg County? Would anybody also have any insight on the special services provided for autism diagnoses in Mecklenburg? Are they provided by the state or county or are they out of pocket expenses? Any info. anybody has is sooo appreciated. I LOVE this site and am so happy I stumbled across it. It is so informative and everyone is so helpful. By the way, we also looked at Rosedale, beautiful houses and neighborhood just a liitle too above what we could afford right now. Also did the nonstop househunting and purchasing a home in the Charlotte area in two and half days! With our 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds. With the special needs. Need I say more?? ha ha Thanks again!!!
Torrence Creek and Hopewell are in Meck. Rosedale children go to those schools and I've heard they are very good schools.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,659 times
I would check out Wynfied, it has several sections to it and two entrances. It is a great neighborhood for kids, walking dogs, and walking/running. It also is only about a mile from Torrence Creek Elemntary. They are not new, but houses sell fast in there because of the location and value. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmikesell View Post
Next question...schools.

In and around Huntersville the schools seem to be very crowded as in 25-30 students per teacher. Are there plans for new schools?

Also, North Meck High seemed to be the only HS.

My kids will be in K and 2nd grade if we're up there next year. Any recommendations on schools? I see that the Fort Mill SC schools grade out well.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,778 times
Default Subdivisions in Huntersville

Considering a move to the Huntersville/Denver area of NC. Have been checking out homes on the web in the $170-185,000 range. Any suggestions for a nice, fairly quiet neighborhood, and not terribly far from Birkdale Village? Where do we look? We keep seeing the Stone Hollow sub popping up with, what look like nice homes in that price range. Why so many available? No concerns for schools but do want a nice atmosphere.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM

18 posts, read 43,880 times
Hi,
I know the area very well. I would look in Wynfield, Birkdale and Northstone. There are plenty of other newer neighborhoods but these are the best resale neighborhoods around in that price range.
thanks,

Lisa

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-31-2007 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: realtor solicitation

Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM

286 posts, read 946,290 times
try gilead village

Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 AM

18 posts, read 43,880 times
I like Birkdale, Northstone, Oakhurst and Wynfield. They are all established neighborhoods in good locations. I live in Oakhurst and really like it.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 AM

674 posts, read 804,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAx2 View Post
You can't get homes in those neighborhoods at those prices.

For that price range look in Heritage Green, maybe Oakhurst, etc
No kidding. I love how realtors come here and make suggestions that completely don't match the buyers needs.

I did a quick search and I agree with Gilead Village, and there were a few listed in Cedarfield, Crosswinds, and Tanners Creek. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
A city data member I just helped out bought a home in Wynfield for 269k so it can be done. I also suggest Cedarfield. Crosswinds are ok but the lots are extremely small. Gilead Ridge homes seem ok as well.
I

Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,343 times
Default acknowledgement

[hello my friend....try skybrook...beautiful area..well made home ...average home start at 225,000...sincerely Cliff

quote=jsmikesell;131227]I'm making a trip up to scout out the area for relocation. So far from my internet research, Huntersville looks ideal.

So for a newer home (2000 and up) between $250-325K what subdivisions should I check out?[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte