Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

I've been to each the Speedway and McAdenville once. Forget what day of the week they were but I seem to remember more traffic at McAdenville than the Speedway. Overall both were okay but probably a little underwhelming IMO. This year we checked out the display at Daniel Stowe, and that might have been better than both (although you need to walk through to see them). Will have to check out Tanglewood sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
I hate to be negative, but we went to the Speedway two years ago and it was okay...not awesome by any means. Our company took us this year...we went last Friday night and it was not very busy, so much so that they let us in for $20 even though we were in a bus and should have paid $50. The village leaves much to be desired and the "games" are not worth the extra money. They have a few vendors inside selling stuff...again, not very amazing at all. The lights are just okay. Not at all worth the money, even the discounted price we got.

Someone mentioned Tanglewood....listen, its a trip up there...about 90 minutes I'd say from south Charlotte, but it makes the Speedway look bad. And if that is not an option...I'd suggest McCadenville.

If you do go to the Speedway....please come back and give us your opinion. I am wondering what other people really think.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 AM

249 posts, read 499,376 times
I've done the Speedway before and I think we went the Saturday before Christmas. The traffic was miserable. If you go, go as early as possible in the month. Also go on a weeknight instead of a weekend. Other that that, it was ok. Didn't blow me away. It's always fun to drive your car on the speedway though and my 4 year old son still talks about riding the turn in the minivan. That was the highlight for sure.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Thanks everyone. I am not sure what we will do yet, but I will come back and let you know what we did and how it was. I am not expecting to be blown away. Just want to do something we've never done before. I figured the Speedway would be good for one year and not likely something we would do again.

We will actually be coming from the Lake Norman area so I was thinking about checking out Zootastic in Troutman. Anyone ever been?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
So here is my update. We went to the Speedway on Thursday night around 6:30. No traffic whatsoever. We left around 8:30 and there was no traffic back-up going in at that time either. We enjoyed the lights and went on a carriage ride, got hot chocolate and took a family picture with Santa. My kids enjoyed it and it was fun to listen to Christmas music on the radio while driving through.

What I felt is that there weren't enough Christmas lights for the big area. Since it is so wide open, you are looking at cars going around after you. To me, because the area is so big, it's less intimate. I say this because we went to Zootastic on a weekend night. Same deal except it is $5 per person. They have a lot of trees so the light displays seemed to be more dense. It was very enjoyable and in the middle, you can get out and look at the animals. They have a petting zoo (you have to pay for the food). They also had a nativity area with a few displays and live animals. You can buy snacks and they have a gift shop too.

Overall, we enjoyed both and will probably do them again next year, time and weather permitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte