Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,730,576 times

Advertisements

Just found out that Carmine (Brooklyn NY transplant of 2 years)is being asked to shut down his lights. HOA is claiming his lights are against "rules and regs" of HOA.

A little background: Carmine previously worked in the scrap iron business in NYC and at the age of 55 decided he wanted to go to "greener pastures". (Don't know exactly what that means)

He moved to a cookie cutter Mc Mansion against my advise. The first summer he was there he received a notice of complaint re his BBQ ing sausage and peppers and the aroma that filled the back yard of a BOA executive that thought it was "ethnic". Well, Carmine doesn't know from "ethnic" so he invited Mr. Whitney over for a expresso and it all was worked out. Whitney has enjoyed many hours of Carmine's company and one nite last summer even tasted fried calamari with Italian bread soaked in tomatoe sauce. They bonded. Kinda like ...white bread meets seeded Italian.

Well the love affair is over. Carmine turned on 100,000 lights for Christmas. Not really a big deal up in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn but apparently a big deal at Whitney's house. (I think there's a pix on You tube but not sure).

Carmine called today and asked what he should do. Keep turned on or flip the switch??

What should I tell my friend?? Need your help....please advise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM

539 posts, read 1,500,753 times
I would leave the lights on. There is a process that an HOA has to follow before they can start fining someone. At least 1 warning letter then a letter calling you to a hearing which are held at the monthly HOA meetings. By the time they get close to the hearing the holidays will be over and the violation will no longer exist.

I am curious about how the rule he is breaking is worded. Most rules regarding lights say that they can't be put up more than xx days before and have to be down x days after.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,065,351 times
thinking that pink is pulling our collective leg to try to get a rise out of us...

Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 AM

642 posts, read 1,172,741 times
This sounds like your friend Carmine should be looking to find some new neighbors. It would apear that the HOA will side with the other residents and to always find against Carmine. Personally I would not care to pass my retirement under thse circumstances. I would move elswhere.

On the other hand, 100'000 lights does sound rather a lot. I hope that Carmine does not live near the airport as his show may draw aircraft to land on his house .

It is my experience that once somebody gets up the noses of petty officaildom personified by HOAs then there is almost no way back. It also sounds like the BOA exec next door is somewhat looking down his nose at the scrap metal dealer who is his neighbor.

This is very silly of him because whilst he makes money with the finished product (money, precious metals and commodities) Carmine was making it with a somewhat lower level of product refinement with scrap metal. Of course you could turn that statement on its head and say that Carmine was working with materials after the bank had finished with the money but either way, there seems to be an element of snobbery in there somewhere.

I hope this gets sorted out soon. Chrismas is not the best time to be arguing with your neighbors when everyone needs a bit of give and take with parking and noise.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,719,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
thinking that pink is pulling our collective leg to try to get a rise out of us...
Sounds like it.

That said if my next door neighbor had their house lit up as bright as the sun like Clark Griswold's with 100,000 lights well...I might find it annoying too.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,757,991 times
How could you guys think this is real???? Jeez! Very gullable!

Pink, nice job....I was cracking up....!

p.s. you didn't mention anything about the Virgin Mary statues on the front lawn!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM

763 posts, read 824,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Just found out that Carmine (Brooklyn NY transplant of 2 years)is being asked to shut down his lights. HOA is claiming his lights are against "rules and regs" of HOA.

A little background: Carmine previously worked in the scrap iron business in NYC and at the age of 55 decided he wanted to go to "greener pastures". (Don't know exactly what that means)

He moved to a cookie cutter Mc Mansion against my advise. The first summer he was there he received a notice of complaint re his BBQ ing sausage and peppers and the aroma that filled the back yard of a BOA executive that thought it was "ethnic". Well, Carmine doesn't know from "ethnic" so he invited Mr. Whitney over for a expresso and it all was worked out. Whitney has enjoyed many hours of Carmine's company and one nite last summer even tasted fried calamari with Italian bread soaked in tomatoe sauce. They bonded. Kinda like ...white bread meets seeded Italian.

Well the love affair is over. Carmine turned on 100,000 lights for Christmas. Not really a big deal up in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn but apparently a big deal at Whitney's house. (I think there's a pix on You tube but not sure).

Carmine called today and asked what he should do. Keep turned on or flip the switch??

What should I tell my friend?? Need your help....please advise..
Besides the sausage and calamari and Carroll Gardens Brooklyn for which you elude, they are as irrelevant to the situation as the name of the person that complained and his place of business,. Carmine should have checked his HOA covenants and rules. Simple as that. There was probably a justifyable reason for not allowing 100,000 lights. Nothing else is relative.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,854,277 times
Nail arat to the guy's door. You decide which one.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,624,295 times
Stop the madness.

It is was just a bad dream, Pink.

Go pour yourself another brandy and turn off the Godfather re-runs.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,375,088 times
There are no BOA executives in the Charlotte area named Whitney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte