Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM

80 posts, read 121,640 times

Advertisements

Good move all around for my family. We weren't expecting utopia but a better quality of life was paramount!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Well I'm afraid I really don't remember who you are inbetween and don't believe I was ever tying to "scare anyone away".... but I guess I'm flattered that you remember me from way back when in the early days of C-D?

6 years ago I said that the influx of folks moving from expensive areas to NC would be a factor that would contribute to the COL going up, the traffic and crime rates increasing, and tightening up the job market (higher unemployment). Please tell me which of those is not true?

Also I did not "have a bad attitude because I moved there and didn't like it". I actually lived in NC for 13 years and generally enjoyed it. Long enough to see the trend I was talking about build up and really take off in the early/mid 2000s when the influx really picked up, especially from LI. We moved our family back to NY (Upstate) mostly for personal/family reasons. But thank you for the personal insult just the same
I'll give you the traffic but you can't tell me that the global economy tanking had nothing to do with the other factors and that it was all due to the increase in transplants.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
I'll give you the traffic but you can't tell me that the global economy tanking had nothing to do with the other factors and that it was all due to the increase in transplants.

I didn't say it was "all due to transplants"...just that they were a contributing factor. Less jobs with more people= higher unemployment rate. Obviously the financial crisis had the largest impact on Charlotte's bad economy and giving it above-average unemployment...but you can't deny that an influx of people, especially when many come without jobs, is also going to inflate the unemployment numbers.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM

247 posts, read 378,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I didn't say it was "all due to transplants"...just that they were a contributing factor. Less jobs with more people= higher unemployment rate. Obviously the financial crisis had the largest impact on Charlotte's bad economy and giving it above-average unemployment...but you can't deny that an influx of people, especially when many come without jobs, is also going to inflate the unemployment numbers.
I agree people coming here assuming jobs were plentiful surely contributed to the overall unemployment numbers, which is why when I was looking to move, I moved with my job. I left that job for a better opportunity about 2 years after we got here, but I could never imagine moving without a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte