Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM

115 posts, read 229,480 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NY, left 20 years ago for other destinations and just relocated to Waxhaw a few months ago. I was really surprised by the number of families who are originally from LI, and who are now living in Union, and Waxhaw in particular. I had no idea. So here's my question: why have so may families relocated...job losses, transfers...a desire for a different lifestyle? Has this been happening over the last 20 years or more recently? All I can say is that we need a good Salumeria! Somebody please open one. I miss the smells of all that Italian food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,402,901 times
Lower taxes is the biggest factor for most; also more bang for your buck with home size. Some people just desire to get out of the city and want warmer weather. I relocated for a better quality of living. Charlotte is full of transplants from all across the world.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,662,645 times
Long Island has changed drastically over the past 20 years.

I have no love for Long Island, nor do I have a love for Long Islanders.

Categorically, although there are exceptions, Long Island is an assemblance of incredibly selfish, rude, narcissistic, boorish, lunatics, who run all day in a rat-race frenzy.

That's why I left Long Island.

On top of that:

Daily use fees for parks is $10. But the parks aren't like what we have here; facilities are often subpar, and (depending on the facility), in need of attention.

They're pondering a $15 toll to cross the Verrazano.

My Family is STILL without electric. They live FAR from the water. Yet, today is the TENTH day without electric. LIPA points to National Grid. National Grid points to LIPA. No one has any answers. And, after nine days, the Governor of New York issues a statement: "This is not good"

A road en route to Bayville failed. It's a road that I used to take often, as a child, and as a young adult. Now segments are gone. The road improvement measures have been in the PLANNING stages since 1978. I am not kidding.

We left Long Island primarily because of culture. After culture, we left Long Island to escape the remarkably unresponsive, expensive, inept, local government.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,036,813 times
We chose Union County (specifically the NW corner) because it reminds us of the best things about LI growing up. Schools - communities - shopping - safe - all the important factors when you compare it in the big picture. Comparable areas are insanely overpriced and overtaxed (getting worse year by year)... You end up looking at areas of LI that are "affordable" and suddenly you realize LI is not the nicest all over. There's this tendency to say "LI schools" or "LI is safe" like Wyandanch, Mastics, Hempstead, Amityville, etc etc don't exist. yet they do... and middle of the road towns just seem to be taking steps backwards.

When you factor in the beaches as one of the biggest positive for LI - you see from Sandy exactly how your strengths can work against you. The 40+ year old infrastructure that they're barely maintaining, which was never designed to withstand storms that we see nowadays, is really catching up to them. South of Montauk was always a matter of pride (and most importantly value) - now South of Montauk means sand in your livingroom and flood insurance rates that are unsustainable down the road.

In my few years here I see many positives on the foodie front - it will take time and the influx will bring these things with them. LI 30+ years ago when my parents moved out there to raise kids didn't have the smells it has now - these things take time.

In the end it came down to what area is on its way up and what area is on its way down. At the time we moved we felt that Union County was right for us and everything I'm seeing from what is happening here vs. what is happening on LI only confirms we made the right choice.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM

184 posts, read 316,552 times
Counting the days till I can get off this god for saken island. 1 year, 1 month and 23 days to go....

Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM

162 posts, read 240,402 times
[quote=NDL;26845001]Long Island has changed drastically over the past 20 years.

Categorically, although there are exceptions, Long Island is an assemblance of incredibly selfish, rude, narcissistic, boorish, lunatics, who run all day in a rat-race frenzy.

That's a little harsh don't ya think!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,715,849 times
^^^^^He's only kidding. Deep down he loves Long Island and Long Islanders.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,188,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Quote:
The road improvement measures have been in the PLANNING stages since 1978. I am not kidding.
And Charlotte started building I-485 in 1989. They were planning it for years prior to that. Greasing all those palms takes time

Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM
NDL

[quote=noname13;26849157]
Quote:
Long Island has changed drastically over the past 20 years.

That's a little harsh don't ya think!
Perhaps. I do realize that some parts of Long Island are far worse than others.

I think a major contributing factor to the disposition people have, has to do with the fact that they're overworked and overtaxed.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark!
I sincerely doubt that .

Heck, maybe it's simply that I am stuck on the Long Island that MikeyKid describes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
And Charlotte started building I-485 in 1989. They were planning it for years prior to that. Greasing all those palms takes time
You're referring to a major highway; I am talking about a 2.5 mile segment of a two lane road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte