Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,668,257 times

Advertisements

We're planning our second trip to Charlotte in early fall (this time with my Parents'), and are looking for a walkable main street / town square / village in Charlotte. I know that NoDa is big, but we're looking for something that's more conservative/traditional - something that might pertain more to families, and youthful seniors.

Are there any 'center of town' / main street areas in areas like Dilworth, Myers Park, Chantilly, etc? Any surrounding suburbs we should look at? Finally, we're thinking of staying in Matthews, and taking the Lynx into center city. Any suggestions about where we can safely park our car, and catch the train?

Thanks in advance, for any suggestions you might offer!

PS: Any other family friendly sight suggestions are most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
We're planning our second trip to Charlotte in early fall (this time with my Parents'), and are looking for a walkable main street / town square / village in Charlotte. I know that NoDa is big, but we're looking for something that's more conservative/traditional - something that might pertain more to families, and youthful seniors.

Are there any 'center of town' / main street areas in areas like Dilworth, Myers Park, Chantilly, etc? Any surrounding suburbs we should look at? Finally, we're thinking of staying in Matthews, and taking the Lynx into center city. Any suggestions about where we can safely park our car, and catch the train?

Thanks in advance, for any suggestions you might offer!

PS: Any other family friendly sight suggestions are most welcome!
Actually, NoDa is small, and only for the urban pioneer - I would not bring senior citizens to live there.

You cannot take the Lynx from Matthews, it is nowhere near Matthews. The drive from Matthews to uptown can be done in 15-20 minutes during non-rush hours. If you really want to use the light rail you will need to stay in a hotel along South Blvd - though there are nicer hotels in town than those for sure.

And finally, we can't really recommend places to you at all until you give us your price range and future job location.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Have you looked at Baxter Village in Ft. Mill, SC?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM

Thank you both, for your replies! Actually, we're not looking into moving down (at least not right now); just visiting for fun - hoping to catch a little bit of local flavor/culture. Thought that the LYNX might be a fun, and inexpensive, way to get a good view of the city. I know that parking can be difficult (and costly) downtown...

Thanks for the tip on Baxter Village. That's something I will definitely look into

Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thank you both, for your replies! Actually, we're not looking into moving down (at least not right now); just visiting for fun - hoping to catch a little bit of local flavor/culture. Thought that the LYNX might be a fun, and inexpensive, way to get a good view of the city. I know that parking can be difficult (and costly) downtown...

Thanks for the tip on Baxter Village. That's something I will definitely look into
Actually, parking in uptown Charlotte can be a bargain compared to other cities. Anifani and I paid $5.00 to park for hours the night of our last City-Data meetup in a lot right near everything. So, don't fear driving to uptown Charlotte. However, for the fun of it, do ride the light rail. I would suggest you park at the last stop, which is near I485 and South Blvd and ride it in. The line actually ends right at the Museum of the New South - a must do to understand your new potential hometown and state

Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
I would stay around Southpark. Lots of shopping, great restaurants.

Charlotte SouthPark Hotels | Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark Hotel | Uptown Charlotte Hotels

Charlotte Hotels - Doubletree Guest Suites Hotel in Charlotte NC

Residence Inn | Extended stay Charlotte NC hotels | Marriott hotels in Charlotte NC

Hampton Inn & Suites

I always have my clients as well as family members stay at one of these hotels.

Other than that, there are some nice hotels, including Marriott, in Ballantyne.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,989,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Have you looked at Baxter Village in Ft. Mill, SC?
+1

Also Mt. Holly...

Ani I've parked at the other end of the scale for parking garages in Charlotte. The Westin charged me $18 for 3 hours.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
+1

Also Mt. Holly...

Ani I've parked at the other end of the scale for parking garages in Charlotte. The Westin charged me $18 for 3 hours.
Good grief! Whenever I have a meeting, banquet, etc at the hotels here, I have found they will usually validate parking for me. I would NOT like paying $18 just to have a business lunch. Dang.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks to all who replied!

LovesMountains, thanks for the tip on the Museum of the new South. I will definately make that a point of our visit!

Anifani: Thanks for the hotel suggestions! Like you, I was surprised at the high cost of parking on my last visit...

Barkingowl: Thanks for the suggestion of Mt. Holly, which looks just like the type of small town I'd want to visit!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Let me ask you all this: Am I jumping to conclusions, to think that each neighborhood within Charlotte does not have it's own neighborhood center? In other words, are walkable main streets in Charlotte confined to NoDa, or Central Ave, in Plaza Midwood?

It seems that most of the shopping or local business/shopping activity is organized into shopping malls, or local shopping centers. Is this presumption correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: