Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 AM

3,914 posts, read 5,004,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbien View Post
wow! thank you all for the information.

Frewroad, you answered my questions on use.
We would like to Kayak on the lake and I figured it would be best anytime, but not summer with all the motor craft. And you are right academics should trump sports, but he idea of the lake is so enticing.
IMO, Lake Norman is far too busy for kayaking unless you travel to the north and get onto the river. Unfortunately there isn't very good access that far north if you are not in a powered craft. Even in the cold months, it can be quite choppy.

The good news is that kayaking is much better on Mountain Island Lake. This is the lake just below Lake Norman. There is a place setup specifically kayaking including rentals. You will want to check out Latta Plantation Park and the Neck Rd. Access Area. If you live in Huntersville there is very easy access to this lake. Unfortunately not so convenient to Mooresville.

Most of this lake is surrounded by preserved land so there is no development and no marinas so no large boats. I took some photos last summer.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...land-lake.html

IMO, there isn't enough difference in the good schools in this area to play a part in where you live. I say go for the lake lifestyle. It's like being on vacation every day and not much else in this area compares to it.

Last edited by frewroad; 02-09-2013 at 04:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 AM

20 posts, read 24,104 times
all i know is that my TAX goes up every year with no end in sight..

Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM

298 posts, read 632,092 times
There is nothing like the traffic on PCH between Newport and Laguna Beach in NC. If you are thinking about a scenic drive around the lake you only see the lake every so often. The road does not go right along the edge on the lake in most spots. Brawley school road was finished being widened 1 - 2 years ago so traffic is no longer an issue at all. Mooresville probably has most of the things you would need as far as shopping but you would have more choices in South Charlotte. The Point, if you're thinking that area, is about 10 minutes out on a Peninsula into the lake. It definitely feels remote to me. We live in both areas, NC and CA, due to my husbands job in NASCAR. He travels a lot and is not in either place full time so I chose to stay in CA due to family and lifestyle. I do prefer CA but may make the move once the kids are done with school. NC has changed a lot since we started this crazy bi-coastal life.
Also I do think it's possible to kayak on Lake Norman. I wouldn't go into the main channel but there are several coves which are fine. My daughter has a kayak and has gone out several times.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,075,261 times
Quote:

Mikeykid, great perspective on having done both LN and MR. Do you have kids? If so what did/do they think? Was it the traffic, the people or lack of anything to do that you chose to leave LN?
My husband likes the "mountains", but not for hunting, for their tranquility. I like having some rural areas around, but for trails for running and biking. Also I would like fairly easy access (10 minute drive) to grocery stores with a lot of good choice (fresh produce, meat , and dairy.) I cook a lot.
I guess I'm might be looking for a good blend of middle to upper middle economic class w/ a few uber rich in the mix. Also lots of opportunity for sports and other kid & family activities. I've heard that LN really just has the lake. Does MR offer a lot of these things? Do you see the area still progressing?
Driving into Charlotte should be a rare thing, for the occasional treat or necessity.
Was it difficult to find a house to rent in Marvin? (around 1200k-1800k) I read that it is. This is what we would like to do to start.
Maybe it would be best to live in MR and enjoy the Lake on an occasional weekend? Even though it's an hour away?
Thank you again to all who took the time to respond.
Yes, I have 3 kids in Elem... Our feet did the talking in this case and we're in Marvin, so that's what I think. We were living up there pre-Brawley expansion and it seems better now, but we're not on it every day like when we lived up there - it was a nightmare back then traffic wise. Poke your eyes out bad. They also added an exit on 77 which helps, too. Like I said it's more a "lake thing" than anything else. However, pay heed to other's warnings about the lake - it's not very accessible to those who don't have property on or in a lake side community. The park in Huntersville is pretty nice, but that's about it if you don't live on the lake.

Shopping and eating in Mooresville is somewhat limited - beyond fast food and chains you'll be going over to Davidson or down into Huntersville most of the time. You will have much, much better choices in Ballantyne / South Charlotte overall from down here. Going into Uptown proper is about the same depending on traffic between Mooresville and Marvin. 77 is incredibly rough when it pinches down going North and 485 is crushingly bad coming around into Pineville/South Blvd (last stop on the light rail). I think it's about even in the big picture commute wise - but you do at least have a rail option from the South.

You'll find an economic mix in both areas. Mooresville is essentially cut in half by 77 stereotypically - richies on West (Lake Norman HS) and more middle class on the East (Mooresville Graded). The "uber rich" live on the West side of 77. Marvin is similar in that it's really a small part of Waxhaw - which is well mixed with plenty of middle income families... but some call it Marvin Rich High School - you'll see some incredibly opulent homes in Marvin. Same with the LN area. But, that said - it's also just some stereotypes and your mileage will vary. Many consider the Mooresville Graded schools to be better than Lake Norman schools... I believe Marvin Ridge is better than either - for us. I am neither uber rich or live in a mansion and we feel very comfortable in Marvin. It is most certainly progressing... neighborhoods that I had some concerns about seeing finished when I signed my contract to build are now done/sold out. It seems demand is exceeding the supply in this area right now... honestly I think that may be true up in LN, too - I'm just in touch with that as much as I used to be.

In the end, finding a rental is likely to be your biggest challenge, especially at that price point due to demand. I would suggest you get with a RE agent sooner than later... some very good ones who are regulars on this board can help you.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 31,356 times
loveorangecounty, we should chat off site a bit, we may know some of the same people. We have a house in South OC. How does that work by the way to make contact, so not to make contact not in a forum? I sent a "befriend " to you. Your insight and info has been very helpful, since if we move it means giving up the OC, but there are reasons for the switch.

Mikeykid; you have been very generous with your information to help. I hope I'm not seeming to snobby about economics, but it is a factor when considering sending your kids to school. We are not uber rich, just from personal experience i know some wealth can improve choices in an area. MR sounds like it could be a good fit, I guess i'm narrowing things down well,so a visit this summer should really help get a "general" feel for each area.
I know it will be easier to rent in LN than South, but I'll figure that out after our summer visit. Thank you again for taking the time with your responses.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,075,261 times
Quote:

Mikeykid; you have been very generous with your information to help. I hope I'm not seeming to snobby about economics, but it is a factor when considering sending your kids to school. We are not uber rich, just from personal experience i know some wealth can improve choices in an area. MR sounds like it could be a good fit, I guess i'm narrowing things down well,so a visit this summer should really help get a "general" feel for each area.
I know it will be easier to rent in LN than South, but I'll figure that out after our summer visit. Thank you again for taking the time with your responses.
Glad I can help in some small way - I'm really just trying to pay it forward as so many were helpful on this forum when I was sitting in your seat trying to decide where to go.

Keep in mind that we all have our own preconceived bias - it's human nature. Your visit will help to form your own opinions as to what is best for your family, which ultimately is what really matters. Take it all in and be thorough in your research to sort it out.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM

86 posts, read 222,198 times
Default Decision?

Hello- just wanted to know what you decided after your research? I am having the same dilemma as you and would love to know what you have decided. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte