Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,770 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a new home in North Charlotte (around Eastfield Road near Highland Creek) or South Charlotte (close to Carowinds). I work near uptown. I've only been living in Charlotte for a couple of months, so I don't really know what area is good and what areas have the worst traffic. Any suggestions and comments on those areas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv82 View Post
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy a new home in North Charlotte (around Eastfield Road near Highland Creek) or South Charlotte (close to Carowinds). I work near uptown. I've only been living in Charlotte for a couple of months, so I don't really know what area is good and what areas have the worst traffic. Any suggestions and comments on those areas would be appreciated.
The Carowinds area is actually southWEST Charlotte - the Steele Creek area. Just know, south Charlotte is more desirable for schools. I like the Eastfield Rd area (which in not "north Charlotte", but north Mecklenburg) and Highland Creek in particular, you can't really go wrong there. Commute from both areas would be about the same. Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The Carowinds area is actually southWEST Charlotte - the Steele Creek area. Just know, south Charlotte is more desirable for schools. I like the Eastfield Rd area and Highland Creek in particular, you can't really go wrong there. Commute from both areas would be about the same. Best of luck!
any tangible benefits to buying in North Charlotte, LovesMts?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
any tangible benefits to buying in North Charlotte, LovesMts?
Well, I just edited my post for clarity - the area around Eastfield and Highland Creek is not North Charlotte but North Mecklenburg - and yes, I do think buying in several places in that general vicinity would allow you to see appreciation and not depreciation over time in your home's value. Highland Creek in particular has enjoyed continued appreciation since it was begun 15 or so years ago - it is a desirable area.

North Charlotte would be the NoDa area, Hidden Valley area, Derita, etc...Many yuppie types have bought in NoDa in particular hoping for big returns on their investments later down the line. It will happen, but may take another 10 years as not enough of NoDa has been gentrified yet and the light rail has yet to be completed.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
One suggestion for looking in the Eastfield Road area, is to find out where the final leg of I-485 will be built in relation to the community you are considering.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Eastfield Rd and Prosperity Church are TERRIBLE during normal commute times. Eastfield is a 2 lane road that should have been widened about 10 years ago. Other than HEAVY traffic, the area in general is very desirable!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 PM

246 posts, read 583,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, I just edited my post for clarity - the area around Eastfield and Highland Creek is not North Charlotte but North Mecklenburg - and yes, I do think buying in several places in that general vicinity would allow you to see appreciation and not depreciation over time in your home's value. Highland Creek in particular has enjoyed continued appreciation since it was begun 15 or so years ago - it is a desirable area.

North Charlotte would be the NoDa area, Hidden Valley area, Derita, etc...Many yuppie types have bought in NoDa in particular hoping for big returns on their investments later down the line. It will happen, but may take another 10 years as not enough of NoDa has been gentrified yet and the light rail has yet to be completed.

Depending on how zoning shakes out, the Eastfield area around Highland Creek could be a great area for schools.

Also, I agree with Hoagie - Eastfield Rd. should be 4 lanes to handle the rush hour volume. Once you're on Prosperity Church Rd, though, you can make decent time getting to work.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
Depending on how zoning shakes out, the Eastfield area around Highland Creek could be a great area for schools.

Also, I agree with Hoagie - Eastfield Rd. should be 4 lanes to handle the rush hour volume. Once you're on Prosperity Church Rd, though, you can make decent time getting to work.
Part of Highland Creek is actually in Cabarrus county-lower taxes and better schools.I believe this part of the subdivision demands higher prices and people have been known to sell in Highland Creek, only to move to the part that's in Cabarrus county.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,745 times
I live in this area and the traffic is not TERRIBLE. Eastfield and Prosperity Church Rd. get congested during normal rush hour times, but I've never had to sit on either road for more than 15 minutes or so. Its no worse than other parts of town, and better than some. You should do some research into the planned route for 485 to make sure its not too close to where you're looking. Otherwise, I think its a great area. We have many new schools in the area at all levels and at least one under construction. There are plenty of amenities within an easy drive without having big box stores in your backyard per se. If you have a specific neighborhood in mind, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can give you some more specific advice.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
DH said he will never consider moving to North Charlotte now that he is used to taking the Lynx train into Uptown. He loves it.

I know a North Charlotte train is in the works, but it may be years before it is completed.

If you are at all interested in taking the train to work, South Charlotte is your best bet.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte