Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 10,037 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, and thank you for reading my post!

First of all my family and I are thinking of moving from Tampa Fl, to Charlotte N.C.
My family consists of myself, husband, 4 children 15,12,10,8. Also our 3 cats . The reason for wanting to relocate here is because my Mother moved to Salisbury N.C. about 6 months ago. She loves it there! Our youngest child is disabled, and she is the only support system we had, so we are missing her greatly. I was also looking into Levine Childrens hospital since my Son and I would spend alot of time there. How is that Hospital?

I have been looking online for places to live, and I have found a couple to either rent/buy. One in particular I liked was just off of Sunset Rd? Is that an Ok area?? I want someplace where my Children can go outside. How are the schools??
If we were to rent I could afford up to 1,000. We have transportation so I wouldn't need any place close by public transit.

My husband would have employment, and I am a stay at home mom. We never go out so I also don't need "nightlife" only stores, schools, parks ,and the Hospital. I was just in N.C. last week visiting my mom. I only saw her area, but it was very nice.
Also how does the weather compare?? It is almost always hot here! I probably use my heat 2 days out of each year. Does it snow? Is there such thing as "fall" ? Not just 90 instead of 98??

Thank you so much for reading! and for input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,353 times
Sounds to me like you have basic expectations and would be OK just venturing into "the city" every few weekends for things to do. $1000 a month is a bit low in Charlotte to rent anything big enough for the kids and cats, but you could rent a house in a nearby town like Belmont, Harrisburg, Concord or Rock Hill for that.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaa2826 View Post
Hello everyone, and thank you for reading my post!

First of all my family and I are thinking of moving from Tampa Fl, to Charlotte N.C.
My family consists of myself, husband, 4 children 15,12,10,8. Also our 3 cats . The reason for wanting to relocate here is because my Mother moved to Salisbury N.C. about 6 months ago. She loves it there! Our youngest child is disabled, and she is the only support system we had, so we are missing her greatly. I was also looking into Levine Childrens hospital since my Son and I would spend alot of time there. How is that Hospital?

I have been looking online for places to live, and I have found a couple to either rent/buy. One in particular I liked was just off of Sunset Rd? Is that an Ok area?? I want someplace where my Children can go outside. How are the schools??
If we were to rent I could afford up to 1,000. We have transportation so I wouldn't need any place close by public transit.

My husband would have employment, and I am a stay at home mom. We never go out so I also don't need "nightlife" only stores, schools, parks ,and the Hospital. I was just in N.C. last week visiting my mom. I only saw her area, but it was very nice.
Also how does the weather compare?? It is almost always hot here! I probably use my heat 2 days out of each year. Does it snow? Is there such thing as "fall" ? Not just 90 instead of 98??

Levine Children's Hospital is top notch, have no worries there!

Sunset Rd is not a great area though, sorry.

Your budget would get you a nice apt. Finding a house in a great area in your price range would be a little tough in the Charlotte area. Have you thought of just living in Salisbury too? Rent would be more affordable there

Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 PM

162 posts, read 228,974 times
Levine Children's Hospital is wonderful! I have spent some time there with my younger sibling and the care he received was AWESOME!!!!

I think Concord would be great for you! It is right outside od Charlotte and closer to Salisbury. You will get more bang for your buck.

I would stay away from sunset. There are a couple of okay cookie cutter neighborhoods, but I would not feel safe there.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,353 times
Any 3 BR house in Charlotte under $950, and any 4 BR under $1100, likely has some problems either with the location or quality of the dwelling. If getting close in to town is highly important, it can be done - just understand you'll be making compromises. You're pretty likely to not approve of the schools in "cheap" neighborhoods anyway.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Thank you everyone so much!! I certainly want good schools. Now my Children attend A schools. I wouldn't want to compromise that to save a few bucks! I will look into Concord for sure thank you, and looking online I haven't found much in Salisbury that would fit us comfortably.

It is never easy to find someplace to live over the internet, and my mother goes to work,stores ..home! She gets lost so easily.

I will keep looking for sure. I am in no rush to move. It was going to be in about 6 months.
I hate rushing into anything so It is no harm to look some more!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 AM

27 posts, read 44,695 times
I may be a little biased because I work there, but Levine is awesome! (I have not always said this about prior positions at other facilities.) Your little man will receive great care and your family will love it.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,980,569 times
Quote:

Charlotte has all 4 seasons but none of them are really that extreme. Plan on using the heat here in the winter and the AC during the summer. There are usually a couple of days of snow, but it's usually gone the next day. On the extreme side there can be no snow, to lots of snow that might take more than a week to melt but this happens only once or so a decade. There are long periods of nice weather in the fall and spring where neither heat or AC is needed.

The humidity is a lot less here than in Tampa.

I lived in S. Fla for a while and I was really happy to return to NC in part to escape the weather there.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Nenjarn-- Thanks alot for your input! We can't just pack up, and move like lots of other folks can. I have to find, and approve of a list of Doctor's for him! It is great to know that he would be in good hands!

Frewroad. Thanks for answering! I can only imagine that it is nicer then Fl. I am not a beach bum so this weather just isn't for me! It is nice to know that it could snow even if it doesn't always. I truly look forward to having more then 1 1/2 seasons. Thank you!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,980,569 times
Quote:

Frewroad. Thanks for answering! I can only imagine that it is nicer then Fl. I am not a beach bum so this weather just isn't for me! It is nice to know that it could snow even if it doesn't always. I truly look forward to having more then 1 1/2 seasons. Thank you!
You are welcome. I'll add that if you like to see snow, the NC mountains are only a 90 minute drive from the Charlotte area and you are guaranteed to find snow there in the winter. The nice thing about it is that once you get tired of it, a 30 mile drive takes you away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte