Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 PM

41 posts, read 100,974 times

Advertisements

Since I'll be working from home I am open to locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa92778 View Post
Since I'll be working from home I am open to locations.
LovesMountains sent you a DM? She's very knowledgeable, so you'll be in good hands with her advice. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Yes she's great. I think I need to google and find the best school system first and then see what I cam afford there. Tomorrows project.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
6245 Sid Crane, Charlotte, NC 28216 - House for Rent in Charlotte, NC - HotPads (http://hotpads.com/search/listing/mobile/6245-Sid-Crane-Charlotte-NC-28216--3q024fc6gj50m - broken link)
This location is only 15 minutes from the area where your husband will most likely find work. FYI, you can get what you want for as little as $950 per month in this economy so don't just go with the first thing you find.

One last thing; make sure to take a streetview tour of any neighborhood you find online. That way you can get an uncensored look at what the neighborhood really looks like.

6245 sid crane charlotte - Google Maps

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
Some of the neighborhoods are in so-so areas for crime. You have pockets of bad and good throughout the NW Charlotte region, some neighborhoods are just fine, and some are really, really bad. I personally live in the 28214 zip code and live in a decent neighborhood, but there are section 8 / high crime neighborhoods not far from me. I can't vouch for the schools.

Use the CMPD crime mapping tool as a guide: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/C...s/default.aspx

As for the address on Sid Crane --- it is off Sunset. I personally, especially with children, would not live off Sunset. A lot of section 8 and bad influence in many of those newer neighborhoods.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 AM

443 posts, read 1,257,743 times
28214 and 28216 do not have ideal school districts, though part of 28216 is okay. They are both good if you want good charter schools...but then you have drive the kids to and from school and have to get IN the charter schools (not easy to do here).

I think you need to narrow down things a bit. Also, I agree that you need to up your game if you want 4+ bedrooms in a nice neighborhood with good schools for $1100. Frankly, if that were available everyone in Charlotte would be thrilled. You might be able to get a cute 3 bedroom for that is a good, but not great, school district.

T

Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 AM

13 posts, read 20,554 times
Here are a couple of sites to check out schools: www.ncreportcards.org and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . My girls went to schools in Mooresville and we were very happy with them. The two homes you found are about 45 miles apart-do you know where he will be working? It would be a long commute if he works in Charlotte and you live in Statesville.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Ok, question, about these Charter schools. Since ill be working from home, i can do the driving to and from school. Do i contact them directly to enroll, are they free? Are they specific to different needs. My 7th grader is a straight A student (not sure it matters) but he also plays on the football team. Do Charter schools have things just like the public schools do?

I understand what everyone is saying and I think I would prefer a cute 3 bedroom in a safe area with a good school system. We can always move in the future to a bigger home. I think the area is the most important. I do not want to switch my son from school again after moving because we end up in a bad part of the town. I do have a few friends in NC who said they would ty to help too. I think narrowing it down is a great idea.

Im going to start focusing on schools and go from there. We pay $1100 here in FL and id rather not move and pay more, not right away.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALeslie View Post
Here are a couple of sites to check out schools: www.ncreportcards.org and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . My girls went to schools in Mooresville and we were very happy with them. The two homes you found are about 45 miles apart-do you know where he will be working? It would be a long commute if he works in Charlotte and you live in Statesville.

No, I do not. He will be looking for work in transportation. He has a cdl/hazmat/tanker license.
I think im overwhelmed because if you go on hotpads.com it looks like there are so many great deals.
I just know with living in FL, you have a $500,000 home then across the street a rundown mobile home park. I just wish i knew more about NC. Ill just keep reading and posting and googling. We are just not sure we can visit first, although its high on the priority list.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
Quote:
No, I do not. He will be looking for work in transportation. He has a cdl/hazmat/tanker license.
I think im overwhelmed because if you go on hotpads.com it looks like there are so many great deals.
I just know with living in FL, you have a $500,000 home then across the street a rundown mobile home park. I just wish i knew more about NC. Ill just keep reading and posting and googling. We are just not sure we can visit first, although its high on the priority list.
Same here. The problem isn't the mobile home park .... the problem is if the mobile home park houses riffraff you don't want around.

Why NC? If you don't know much about the area, you're coming with only 1 job and you most likely won't be able to visit - what is bringing you here?

The rental listings are very deceiving. You will find what looks like a nice, newer neighborhood, but in reality, it is a section 8 neighborhood with high crime within Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte