Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 PM

526 posts, read 955,142 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I have found great information and advice, so I decided to post a few questions that are particular to my case.

A little bit about me…. I am originally from the Dominican Republic and have lived in MA for the past 7 years. I have a bachelor in Liberal Arts and a master’s degree in Management. I am also fluent in Spanish. I am tired of the weather and bland people. I will be bringing my parents to the USA in 2012 and my mother can't live in a weather like New England's. I know that Charlotte has a winter as well, but it's much shorter and less aggressive than the one we experience here in the North. I am looking for a place with nice people, some diversity, suitable for a single, late-twenties girl, and with a low unemployment rate. I know that our current economic climate might not be the best; however, NC is one of the states with the best economies at this time.

I have some friends in Charlotte and I have heard wonderful things about the city. I know that everyone's experience will be different, but I am a very positive person and I find it very easy to make new friends. I am by no means looking for the perfect city, there's not such a thing, but I am looking for the perfect city for me and I have a feeling that Charlotte might be it. So, with all of these in mind:

1. Has anybody in here moved to Charlotte from the North, especially MA? If so, how are these two places different from one another?

2. I am working at a college at this time, how's the job market in higher ed currently? Besides education, are there any other fields where you see a relative job growth?

3. Are employers hesitant about hiring someone from out of state? Any techniques you might have used to be successful?

4. If you moved to Charlotte without a job, how long did it take you to find one and how much money/how many months of living expenses did you budget for?

5. Could you please name 3-4 safe neighborhoods within a 15-mile radius of Charlotte? Can a 2-3 bedroom apartment be found in any of these neighborhoods for under $1,000?

6. Would a landlord rent you a place without employment if you can prove you can cover your rent expenses for at least 6 months?

7. I have a small dog and a cat, is Charlotte a pet friendly city? Is it hard to find a pet-friendly apartment?

8. How’s the dating scene? Do you see any/a lot of single guys between 27-40 years old?

I apologize for the length of this post, but I will be visiting Charlotte in February for a week and I’d like to have as much information as I can to make the best of my trip. There’s ton of information in the internet, but I know that the most accurate information about a particular place is always going to come from the locals.

I thank you in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

DRGirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
however, NC is one of the states with the best economies at this time.
Are you sure??

Unemployment rate by state, September 2011. NC is in the worst 10, at 10.5%.

It really, really behooves you to have a job already lined up before moving to NC. This rumor that "anybody can snap up a job in NC" is based on old (pre-recession) data, and the more folks who move here without jobs, the higher it gets (since what jobs are open have more and more people competing for them).

Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM

185 posts, read 318,451 times
4. If you moved to Charlotte without a job, how long did it take you to find one and how much money/how many months of living expenses did you budget for?

If you are seriously considering Charlotte as it sounds like you are I highly recommend you start looking in to work now, especially if you want to stay in higher ed. The good news is there are several schools in this region , UNCC, Davidson, Queens, JCSU, JWU to name a few. I dont know what the prospect are in this area as Im in I.T. but perhaps someone where you currently work has some connection here and may be able to help you.

5. Could you please name 3-4 safe neighborhoods within a 15-mile radius of Charlotte? Can a 2-3 bedroom apartment be found in any of these neighborhoods for under $1,000?

There are alot of good area's just depends on your personal preference in what type of community and environment you want to live in. If you like families out walking with the kids and dogs, people jogging that sort of thing, South Charlotte area, and Northern end of Charlotte (huntersville,etc) is nice.

If you more into the city lifestyle or enjoy mid and high rise living, Uptown would suit you well.

There are many more but again its up to your personal lifestyle tastes and also once you find a job it will be easier to help you pinpoint a good spot near it. For example I dont want to tell you that Huntersville is great and then you get a job on Arrowood! Your commute would be terrible!

However yes its very possible to find nice apartments for under $1000, some with things like cable and internet and/or washer and dryer included arent uncommon. The only area where it can get tricky to find a nice apartment for under that amount with decent space is uptown and sometimes the southpark area but that just again depends on what you like and have to have in an apartment.

6. Would a landlord rent you a place without employment if you can prove you can cover your rent expenses for at least 6 months?
Just depends........

7. I have a small dog and a cat, is Charlotte a pet friendly city? Is it hard to find a pet-friendly apartment?
Yes its a pet friendly city. I have a little one and will be adopting another on soon! There are a decent number of dog parks spread throughout. Charlotte also has great boutique dog stores, as well as many doggie daycare/boarding facilities. Also some staple dog events several times of the year like Bark in the Park! Great services like low cost vaccine clinics and low cost spay and neuter clinics as well.

I wouldnt say its hard to find a pet friendly apartment. I will say however that some charge crazy fees and pet rent for your animals. Also know that their are breed restrictions, mostly the so called aggressive breads but that their are several apartments that dont have weight restrictions which is good.

8. How’s the dating scene? Do you see any/a lot of single guys between 27-40 years old?
I dont even know how to respond to this but to say if your looking for love in this city good luck lol

Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Are you sure??

Unemployment rate by state, September 2011. NC is in the worst 10, at 10.5%.

It really, really behooves you to have a job already lined up before moving to NC. This rumor that "anybody can snap up a job in NC" is based on old (pre-recession) data, and the more folks who move here without jobs, the higher it gets (since what jobs are open have more and more people competing for them).
Thank you very much for the link, Francois. I read that information in an article that I found on this forum. I can't remember the name or the date but it might have been as you said "pre-recession data."

Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post

If you are seriously considering Charlotte as it sounds like you are I highly recommend you start looking in to work now, especially if you want to stay in higher ed. The good news is there are several schools in this region , UNCC, Davidson, Queens, JCSU, JWU to name a few. I dont know what the prospect are in this area as Im in I.T. but perhaps someone where you currently work has some connection here and may be able to help you.
Thank you for your reply, PeachInTheCity. I have been looking at websites for jobs but my fear is that when you are out of state is very, very difficult to find employment especially in these times. I am fine staying in higher ed for now as a stepping stone, but I'd really like to explore other fields.

Quote:

There are alot of good area's just depends on your personal preference in what type of community and environment you want to live in. If you like families out walking with the kids and dogs, people jogging that sort of thing, South Charlotte area, and Northern end of Charlotte (huntersville,etc) is nice.

If you more into the city lifestyle or enjoy mid and high rise living, Uptown would suit you well.

There are many more but again its up to your personal lifestyle tastes and also once you find a job it will be easier to help you pinpoint a good spot near it. For example I dont want to tell you that Huntersville is great and then you get a job on Arrowood! Your commute would be terrible!

However yes its very possible to find nice apartments for under $1000, some with things like cable and internet and/or washer and dryer included arent uncommon. The only area where it can get tricky to find a nice apartment for under that amount with decent space is uptown and sometimes the southpark area but that just again depends on what you like and have to have in an apartment.
I prefer a more family oriented neighborhood. I like to live in the suburbs and drive to the fun, so I'd look into those places you mentioned.

Quote:
Yes its a pet friendly city. I have a little one and will be adopting another on soon! There are a decent number of dog parks spread throughout. Charlotte also has great boutique dog stores, as well as many doggie daycare/boarding facilities. Also some staple dog events several times of the year like Bark in the Park! Great services like low cost vaccine clinics and low cost spay and neuter clinics as well.

I wouldnt say its hard to find a pet friendly apartment. I will say however that some charge crazy fees and pet rent for your animals. Also know that their are breed restrictions, mostly the so called aggressive breads but that their are several apartments that dont have weight restrictions which is good.
It's good to know there are many activities to do with my dog. I have a Maltese/Poddle mix, she's about 16 pounds, so breed and weight restrictions would not be a problem.

Quote:
I dont even know how to respond to this but to say if your looking for love in this city good luck lol
LOL, I guess it's a national epidemic then. It seems like a tough market for us singles.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,018 times
One thing I'll say about this region is , IMO , it is an overgrown version of Dawson's Creek. You will definitely be at home in suburbia , to say the least. It's not a bad thing , but there are alot of persons pushing/pulling for certain amenities which breeds strife. Regarding singles , they are here , but alot of them are either out for 1 night stands , parties , friends with benefits , associated drivel. Not all are like that , but it damn sure seems that way , LOL!! All genders share this fallacy , so keep 3 eyes open at all times. I used to get out and club , et al. , but things became too much like highschool for my tastes. If only I knew then what I know now , LOL!! All in all , based upon your criteria , you/yours will be at peace here , just watch out for Nascar wannabes , serial texters , Earth's worst drivers , second to India , teens under the influence of mind controlling 'music' , and the occasional 'gangbanger'(loosely save for certain ones). With this in mind , good luck in your endeavour.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I will continue to do my research and I'll be there for a week in February. I am determined to make Charlotte my new town.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM

First, I want to thank you all again for your prompt answers. This is a great forum and I’ve found lots of useful information in it.

I just booked an 8-day research/exploratory trip to Charlotte for the last week in February. I have been sending resumes/filling out applications on a daily basis for the past two weeks. I am stating in my applications and cover letters that I am currently residing in MA but that I can be available for a personal interview (if a phone interview goes well) within 72 hours. I am also stating that I am going to be covering ALL of my relocation expenses. So I am wondering: what can I do to up my chances of landing an interview in Charlotte while being in MA? Is there anything else I can do for employers to overlook my address but rather concentrate on my skills/experience?

Also, I am just pending my thesis (which I am working on) to get my master’s degree, but I am willing to get any job to get my feet in Charlotte. I honestly would not mind to work as a cashier or any other type of job, as long as it gives me enough to live on. I am single and very frugal so it does not take much money for me to survive. I am afraid that when I apply for jobs that I might be overqualified for, employers will not contact me. I do not want to lie in my resume and/or take out my education to better my chances. How can I go about this without compromising my ethics?

I know that the economic climate is challenging, but I also know that if there’s a will, there’s way. I am putting 100% energy/thoughts in my move to Charlotte next year.

Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte