Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 AM

422 posts, read 1,370,912 times

Advertisements

Its called Eminent Domain (I think thats how its spelled) hehe.. And it happens all the time and will happen again and again especially since Charlotte is growing. And I wouldn't start blaming the developers.... It is a threat of every neighborhood in Charlotte. The developer has no way of knowing if it will happen or not. And if you stopped construction on everything that is a possibly going to be condemned, then we would all be homeless.

The homeowners who will lose their home will recieve FULL market value. There is nothing you can do- its the LAW.

And those of you not in the realestate business must understand that ALL neigborhoods have this threat. You just don't know or hear about it until it happens....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM

352 posts, read 521,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomesalesrep View Post
Its called Eminent Domain (I think thats how its spelled) hehe.. And it happens all the time and will happen again and again especially since Charlotte is growing. And I wouldn't start blaming the developers.... It is a threat of every neighborhood in Charlotte. The developer has no way of knowing if it will happen or not. And if you stopped construction on everything that is a possibly going to be condemned, then we would all be homeless.

The homeowners who will lose their home will recieve FULL market value. There is nothing you can do- its the LAW.

And those of you not in the realestate business must understand that ALL neigborhoods have this threat. You just don't know or hear about it until it happens....
I think most of us understand what Eminent Domain is, but i think what a lot of people are upset about is the fact that thier is a chance that a major roadway could come through this neighborhood. The developers knew that before hand yet still developed it. This is exactly why Real Estate Agents and Develops have a bad image.

I dont care what you say, a home owner is not going to get a full market value......they dont have the option of getting multiple offers like most people do.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM

153 posts, read 469,261 times
Quote:

Actually, it is "fair" market value, based upon history the value usually isn't very fair and the homeowner has no choice. People in the affected communities will most likely lose considerable $, very sad and definitely not fair!!

Additionally, it is spelled Eminent domain, however, Eminent domain is simply the governments right to seize a citizens private property for government use, and, the government is not required to pay anything for the property, although they usually do. The government actually exercising their right of eminent domain is called condemnation.

Here is a link for more information.
Eminent domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be sure that what you post is factual and concrete, there are a lot of people that depend on us (Real Estate Professionals) to give solid, definitive advice on this forum

Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 AM

153 posts, read 469,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
I think most of us understand what Eminent Domain is, but i think what a lot of people are upset about is the fact that thier is a chance that a major roadway could come through this neighborhood. The developers knew that before hand yet still developed it. This is exactly why Real Estate Agents and Develops have a bad image.

I dont care what you say, a home owner is not going to get a full market value......they dont have the option of getting multiple offers like most people do.

You are absolutely correct, and yes, the developer should have had some insight as to this being a potential problem, especially with the Bonterra Village community which is relatively new, read my post, before this, I agree with you and feel that people should watch what they say of they are not astute to the actual problems

Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,798,628 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: flaming

Jeez, please don't come on here and think everyone fell off the turnip truck. OF COURSE home builders know about these things before hand. And you statement about full market value (IN CAPS no less) is total BS.

You should be ashamed of yourself coming on here and spouting those lies.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-24-2007 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 11:15 AM

422 posts, read 1,370,912 times
My bad for writting Full not Fair... and yes, I should have read my reply before posting. huge difference... my fault.
I was just trying to point out Eminnt Domain... thats all..
And no, I am not ashamed of myself nor am I spouting lies.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-24-2007 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: comment in reference has been deleted

Old 08-24-2007, 11:42 AM

352 posts, read 521,358 times
Quote:
My bad for writting Full not Fair... and yes, I should have read my reply before posting. huge difference... my fault.
I was just trying to point out Eminnt Domain... thats all..
And no, I am not ashamed of myself nor am I spouting lies.
i'm not going to judge you...but from your post, it sounds like you wouldnt care what you sold someone as long as you get paid for it.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-24-2007 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,759,230 times
Lets refrain from debating each other and stick with debating ideas
or make your point without flaming remarks.

The direct message feature is a helpful tool.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-24-2007 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM

58 posts, read 307,868 times
The Union County Weekly newspaper recently had an update (sort of) on the Bypass progress.

Bypass speeds forward (http://www.thecharlotteweekly.com/Archives/2007/Aug.24/Bypass.html - broken link)

Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM

21 posts, read 73,666 times
Default Agents beware

I live in Bonterra. I would not buy a house in Bonterra and it is not because of the bypass. Several of my neighbors are fed up with the HOA. Many people especially those associated with community watch and HOA are cut throat and vindictive. They are very biased and unfair to the working class people. I lived in Lake Park 8 years and never had a problem with the HOA. I have been in Bonterra 2 years and have received about 10 violations.( none have been substaniated) The time and money that goes into sending these violations are ridiculous. Our dues keep going up. Money could be better spent on safety issues. I would love to sell my house. I would not get fair market value and I can assure you it is not only because of the bypass. This community has issues.

Last edited by gina gardner; 01-09-2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte