Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 08:32 AM

82 posts, read 120,191 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit surprised that O'Reilly picked the old Kroger for its Cross Lanes location. It's not overly visible from the road anymore since Fruth was built (which is now also closed and vacant). Although I guess it's still a big, flexible building, and visibility can be mostly overcome by signage. Anyway, I agree with Chris -- between Sheetz, O'Reilly, Bojangles, and Rural King, it's a noticeable amount of growth in a short time and that's a good thing.

Also, the Fifth Quarter closed yesterday unexpectedly. My first thought was that it would be related to Beni Kedem's rumblings about developing that lot, but even the Shriners seemed to be taken by surprise.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Fifth Quarter restaurant closes unexpectedly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:23 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
I'm a bit surprised that O'Reilly picked the old Kroger for its Cross Lanes location. It's not overly visible from the road anymore since Fruth was built (which is now also closed and vacant). Although I guess it's still a big, flexible building, and visibility can be mostly overcome by signage. Anyway, I agree with Chris -- between Sheetz, O'Reilly, Bojangles, and Rural King, it's a noticeable amount of growth in a short time and that's a good thing.

Also, the Fifth Quarter closed yesterday unexpectedly. My first thought was that it would be related to Beni Kedem's rumblings about developing that lot, but even the Shriners seemed to be taken by surprise.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Fifth Quarter restaurant closes unexpectedly
Yeah I saw this too. I was never a fan, but its always unfortunate to see local businesses go under. But this is leaving a prime lot ready for development beside the mall and civic center. Can somebody say "Charleston Hyatt Place"? lol

Old 06-01-2016, 11:25 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
The article has been updated. The folks at Beni Kedem knew that it was closing, but was surprised because it was supposed to close at the end of June, not May. Also, it now mentions that they are in talks with a developer to try and build a hotel, so there it is.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 PM

I hope that if they decide to develop the two lots that they don't do a pi$$ poor job! I would hate to see a 4 story Suburban style hotel with surface parking and a middle scale brand.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 PM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
Please let this be something substantial. 5 or 6 stories of parking garage with a 10 to 12 story hotel on top would be nice. Something taller than anything else downtown would be awesome.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Please let this be something substantial. 5 or 6 stories of parking garage with a 10 to 12 story hotel on top would be nice. Something taller than anything else downtown would be awesome.
It is all speculation as details are very scarce on the new hotel...

It is also speculation that this would be a Hyatt Place property, I think if it is Hyatt that there is nearly a 100% certainty it would be a Hyatt Place.

After seen several of these personally and after checking out those in the Mid-Atlantic/Mid-west region of a similar size - 150 rooms - Hyatt does not seem to deviate much from a basic design. Most of those that are in comparison have ample footprints permitting open air, lot parking around the perimeter of the property, this site in Charleston does not have that luxury.

The current Fifth Quarter parking set up has just under 100 spaces. If we assume a standard set up:

A new parking garage would run the length of the property nearest to the Beni Kedem Temple. It would probably be a 3 floor structure and with only one row of spaces on each side (severe space limitations force this) it would host ~60 spaces per floor for 180 total. Depending on how the tower is sited, there will be a dozen to 2 dozen more spaces near the main entrance to the property for valet, emergency and special delivery vehicles like limousines. If we assume that the main entrance is on Quarrier and sides up to Clendenin Street a loop is formed that has an entrance off of Clendenin, though a drop off area and either into the garage or exit onto Quarrier.

This would put the tower roughly on the site where the existing restaurant is located. The hotel would have a larger footprint that would run all the way back to Civic Center Drive. This allows a floor plan large enough to have 16 rooms per floor from the 3rd floor up. Hyatt Place rooms are generous in size so I doubt you would get more than 8 per side of the central corridor.

The main floor is usually a story and a half in height but some of those I have been were double height levels. I am not sure how Hyatt might do this one, but if they chose a double height level, the portion of the tower backing onto Civic Center Drive might include an indoor pool and fitness center.

If there is enough room in the foot print Hyatt almost always has a Starbucks on site as well as a few other associated retailers. Assuming that Hyatt would lease these spaces, it will need a second floor level for guest business affairs and meeting rooms as well as its own administrative needs.

The tower would have direct access to the garage. The 1st and 2nd levels of the garage would access the Main floor of the hotel and the 3rd level of the hotel would access the 2nd level of the hotel.

If we assume the 150 rooms detail is a target it may not be too solid until a design is put forth. Personally I find convention center hotels need more and not less rooms but this is a small convention market in comparison to other regional cities.

If we assume the hotel has a double height main floor for the lobby and a second floor devoted to services and administrative offices and we have 16 rooms per floor; an 11-floor tower has 9 floors for rooms with 144 rooms and a 12-floor has 160.

The 150-room Hyatt Place 12-floor tower would be small compared to either the 352-room Marriott at 16-floors and the 283-suite Embassy at 9-floors, but it is only slightly smaller than the 176-room 12-floor Four Seasons.

I am not sure of the vacancy rate in Charleston but with essentially a new Convention Center and the seemingly imminent closure of the Heart-o-Town twins, it might be wise to be larger than 150 rooms.

Whatever comes out of this, I think it is safe to say a small hotel is not going to be worth the money there and something at least on the order of what my pea-brain can generate is the minimum.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:14 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Forgive me if this has been posted already ( I didn't see anything on the previous 7 or 8 pages) but there will be a Petco location in Teays Valley. The store will be at Liberty Square, next door to Aldi.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Forgive me if this has been posted already ( I didn't see anything on the previous 7 or 8 pages) but there will be a Petco location in Teays Valley. The store will be at Liberty Square, next door to Aldi.
That is interesting. I don't ever remember hearing that. I'm sure one would work well there.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:31 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
The Petco sign is now up on the building.

There is room for another business next to Petco. Remember this location is the former Kroger location at Liberty Square. It will be interesting to see what other business can be recruited to fill that spot.

I think it would be a good spot for a shoe store (like Famous Footwear since they don't have a presence in the area) or a J. Crew or even an Under Armour store.

Last edited by aeros71; 06-05-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 08:04 PM

146 posts, read 166,218 times
There is not now or has there ever been a Four Seasons in Charleston. If it is truly a Hyatt, it can under no circumstances be a Hyatt Place. That is the equivalent of IHG's Holiday Inn Express. No way no How!!!!!!!! If Hyatt wants it they can build a 20 story real Hyatt Convention Center Hotel or let Hilton or someone else have a shot. Anything less than a Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin or Crown Plaza is useless This needs to be a convention center hotel the finest quality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston