Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Restaurants and Stores in Charleston are going up!!!

Restaurant is going down. Subway at Town Center will close on Saturday. The rent at Town Center is too high for a Subway to be profitable. (My guess is that it is because mall traffic is much lower than it once was.)

Old 12-28-2016, 01:56 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Restaurants and Stores in Charleston are going up!!!

Restaurant is going down. Subway at Town Center will close on Saturday. The rent at Town Center is too high for a Subway to be profitable. (My guess is that it is because mall traffic is much lower than it once was.)
I have spoken to a few retailers in the mall and they all comment on this aspect of the P&L. Mall rates go up every time there is a new vacancy and new vacancies come up every time there is a new rate hike. Dumb people can see the self-full filling correlation in that process, why can't Forest City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 PM

146 posts, read 166,265 times
Thank goodness........sad but I know Forest City and Lisa McCracken are incapable of attracting a Dillards Belk or BonTon........or Talk to the Macys people. Do they want to move to the much larger Sears location. Probably 1/3 larger. Tear down the auto center and redevelop that corner.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:42 PM

583 posts, read 592,933 times
I have ZERO confidence that Forest City or the folks running Charleston have a clue, a care or the capability to make something better happen from this situation. The Town Center, Charleston and much of WV feels like a sinking ship without sailors or a captain. Forest City will milk the carcass until there is no more milk to give. In fact maybe they'll see the writing on the wall and sell the place and perhaps someone else will take a chance on it and try to do something better with it.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:29 PM

146 posts, read 166,265 times
the best hope is for Simon to buy it. Those guys know how to develop, redevelop and run malls.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:59 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
If it is possible to re-develop a "mall" there is every possibility to do it there.

Customers there are used to downtown parking issues, and the remodeling of the civic center could breathe some new life in that area.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:07 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
UPDATE: Charleston Subway will Remain Open - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

So it looks like Subway is staying open. Honestly do we need a Subway in the mall? There is one two blocks over on Summers Street, and another one down Washington Street on the East End. Plus about 15-20 more in the area.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:35 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
UPDATE: Charleston Subway will Remain Open - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

So it looks like Subway is staying open. Honestly do we need a Subway in the mall? There is one two blocks over on Summers Street, and another one down Washington Street on the East End. Plus about 15-20 more in the area.
I would think it would be better than having a vacant slot there. Just a hunch.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:17 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I would think it would be better than having a vacant slot there. Just a hunch.
Very true. However, It would be nice to see something different considering the abundance of sub shops around.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:51 AM

583 posts, read 592,933 times
Regarding Subway. I don't like their food. However, let's look at the bigger picture. Perhaps and this is a BIG PERHAPS the folks running the mall are starting to get it, that they are not sitting on a pot of gold and if they want the mall to be viable they better step it up. Keeping a spot rented is a whole lot better than another open sore at the CTC.

Now for my take on the Dillard's subject. It would be a major Coup D'etat if the folks running the mall and Charleston could pull that off. My opinion obviously but I don't think they can and probably don't care. In fact I think a lot of what runs Charleston can't see beyond the city limits much less the bounds of their South Hills neighborhoods and I should know a little bit about this because I live in one of those neighborhoods and know some of these folks...let's just put it this way, they are fine, they have what they need, they are a decade away from death and they really could care less about the rest of us. That's been my impression. Not trying to offend anyone but I live in the midst of it and it's very telling to me besides the crappy state and local economy that this is a part of why Charleston is in the condition it is in.

As for Dillard's and the Sear's Auto space, ideally for the mall to be successful they have to offer stores and restaurants that Beckley, Huntington and Parkersburg do not have. There has to be a reason to drive to Charleston and make it worth it. It used to be the case but no longer is. We don't need another Taco Bell, Wild Wings, Applebees or any of those places that everyone else has.

Charleston needs a PF Changs, Carraba's, Trader Joe's, Dillard's you know some places that someone that lives an hour or so away can get up early on a Saturday and drive in to town and shop/eat at. A Trader Joe's especially would pull from a 2 hour region around town. Your getting close to a million folks. This can be done. It can happen but the people running the mall and the folks running Charleston have to give a darn and I just don't think they can or do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston