Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:01 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I feel like this was more for geography sake. Basically saying “coast to coast” but using cities.
That's a good point also...from the northwest to the southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Okay. I’ll be in the lookout for unrelated instances.
Do that. It would indeed be interesting if this is becoming the norm in general.

Quote:
If they were going to pick cities to indicate coast to coast, I can see Portland, sort of. What happened to ‘from New to LA?’
Portland was in the news for everything going on there over the summer, and while Charleston wasn't to quite the same extent, the protests/demonstrations/gatherings related to Walter Scott's killing and the Mother Emanuel massacre along with the removal of the Calhoun monument last year made it an obvious city to mention in connection with the subject as well. And by specifically mentioning cities like Portland and Charleston, the implication was that these protests weren't just happening in big cities.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
If they were going to pick cities to indicate coast to coast, I can see Portland, sort of. What happened to ‘from New to LA?’
I love giving Charleston credit, but I really dont think this was anything more than a surface level coast to coast shoutout. Dont really think someone sat down and researched recent Charleston happenings so they could include it in a quick quip.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I love giving Charleston credit, but I really dont think this was anything more than a surface level coast to coast shoutout. Dont really think someone sat down and researched recent Charleston happenings so they could include it in a quick quip.
Being that it was NBC Nightly News, there's a good chance some people there were already familiar with last summer's protests in Charleston and, more specifically, the Calhoun monument coming down.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Being that it was NBC Nightly News, there's a good chance some people there were already familiar with last summer's protests in Charleston and, more specifically, the Calhoun monument coming down.
And that happened everywhere. Statues came down in Richmond first, in Birmingham. Like I said, to me, it was very surface level not meant to promote Charleston, or Portland. Simply two random opposite coast cities they threw together.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:55 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
My point with the coast to coast concept was that on some other topic besides the protests both cities had, like the economy or something else, if the reporter was expressing say economic improvement from coast to coast, I would have expected him to say from Portland to Charleston, South Carolina, with an ear out for him to omit the South Carolina to see whether Charleston does indeed seem to be getting national news billing with no state name necessary.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
And that happened everywhere. Statues came down in Richmond first, in Birmingham. Like I said, to me, it was very surface level not meant to promote Charleston, or Portland. Simply two random opposite coast cities they threw together.
True and Richmond could have been another good one to use for the "coast to coast" effect. I don't recall Birmingham having had much going on last year comparatively speaking besides one monument that was covered with a tarp for a while but it's also not considered coastal either. Come to think of it, Charleston and Richmond might have been the only smaller East Coast cities to bring down monuments last year if I recall accurately.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
My point with the coast to coast concept was that on some other topic besides the protests both cities had, like the economy or something else, if the reporter was expressing say economic improvement from coast to coast, I would have expected him to say from Portland to Charleston, South Carolina, with an ear out for him to omit the South Carolina to see whether Charleston does indeed seem to be getting national news billing with no state name necessary.
I still feel like you're reading too deep into it. Yes they may have not said "South Carolina", but I still feel the whole shoutout was simply for convenience sake rather than careful calculation. Seems more feasible they omitted SC to make it less wordy than because Charleston is now "nationwide."

I also cant see viewers caring that much either in the grand scheme. Its a passive intro comment.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:13 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
From what I just read after some research, the National Association of Broadcasters follows AP style. AP style lists only 30 US cities for leaving off the state. Portland isn’t one. Neither is Charlotte, for example. So actually, reporters who always go by the book always use the state’s name for all but those 30 US cities. So, while I can watch for examples that suggest a reporter seems to feel Charleston has arrived when they omit South Carolina regardless of context, the rule will usually prevail.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:33 PM

Still not convinced...but sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area