Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 08:48 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times

Advertisements

I think they used the two cities for contrast. Portland is seen as a mega-liberal city that bordered on lawlessness over the summer while Charleston is basically known for decorum and politeness. If you follow any conservative media, or have friends who do, you would have seen a lot about protesters taking over a courthouse, barricading streets, and stopping foreclosures/police activity. Even though some on this board think of Charleston as progressive for SC our image is much more in line with a Disneyfied tourist destination. Portlandia vs Army Wives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 06:41 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
My only point was that, whatever the story was about, there is a standard they normally use for naming only the city versus the city and state. The AP probably should update its rules on that, because I think Charlotte, for example, at 800,000+ and about 3 million metro can pull it off without the North Carolina. And I do often hear just Charlotte, but when I do, the reporter may sometimes be skirting what I believe at least used to be a rather steadfast AP media rule. Same when they say just Charleston, of course, but I’ll watch for examples of national reporting on Charleston on a case-by-case basis. Just a little interest of mine within the bigger picture. Whoever thinks it’s dumb, fine. I’m 62. I can be dumb if I want to and hope for others to do as I do and scroll on past the stuff they deem to be dumb.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:14 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
No one called you dumb. I get being excited Charleston is getting exposure. All i said was i dont think Nightly News was being that calculated.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No one called you dumb. I get being excited Charleston is getting exposure. All i said was i dont think Nightly News was being that calculated.
I misspoke. I said I can be dumb if I want to. I meant I can post dumb (trivial may be a better word) stuff if I want to.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:11 PM

I messaged my Montana buddy from my DC days an article saying TripAdvisor just named seven Charleston hotels among the best in the world. He, a man who has taken for granted global travel, planned or on a whim, several times a year his entire life, and who retired from a career in travel agency management, and who has been to Charleston a few times, replied, “Charleston is riding a wave.”

Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I messaged my Montana buddy from my DC days an article saying TripAdvisor just named seven Charleston hotels among the best in the world. He, a man who has taken for granted global travel, planned or on a whim, several times a year his entire life, and who retired from a career in travel agency management, and who has been to Charleston a few times, replied, “Charleston is riding a wave.”
Even though I'm not sure what he meant by that, I have to agree that "Charleston is riding a wave" and has been for some time. Given the increased flooding downtown I might wish for a different metaphor though.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Even though I'm not sure what he meant by that, I have to agree that "Charleston is riding a wave" and has been for some time. Given the increased flooding downtown I might wish for a different metaphor though.
He meant a ten-year (so far) wave. He’s highly aware of Charleston’s stature in the travel and leisure world, and of both Travel & Leisure and Condé Nast’s reader’s love affair with the city. Funny, true story: The last time I visited him in DC was years after I had moved back to SC. Little did I know he would some 30 years later move back to Montana to a village of 1,300. I spent all those years thinking that when he retired from his DC career he would take off to NYC or back to San Diego where he lived from birth till seventh grade before moving to MT. And I felt like he was always patronizing me and SC and Columbia. He once even sent me a postcard from Charleston, where his travels had brought him, and my paranoid self thought he was just trying to get under my skin. The #1 thing we had in common was talking about cities. Anyway, on my visit with him in DC, we went to a cafe, and a friend he ran into there was all excited because it was Friday and the following week she was going on vacation.

“Going anywhere?” he asked.

“Yes. I’m going to Charleston, South Carolina.”

Without even flinching or looking at me he said, “Oh, nice. He’s from South Carolina,” with a little flick of his thumb in my direction. I don’t remember the rest.

Interestingly, that same weekend the host at a dinner party said he had heard a lot about Charleston, but hadn’t heard much about Columbia, once he learned I lived there. If I were really paranoid, I would have thought both scenes were set up to get under my skin. But no, my buddy was being sincere and wasn’t alluding to flooding, although I did telegram him an article about the Dutch Dialogue and Charleston’s rush to embrace the water creatively. I will say that waves don’t last forever and that it’s important to be ready to catch the next wave.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:45 AM

SmartAsset just named Charleston County #1 in SC for percentage of the economy that comes from small businesses and the best place in the state to open one.

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...g4ZwDJJz6JZTeg

Old 05-14-2021, 01:22 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
He meant a ten-year (so far) wave. He’s highly aware of Charleston’s stature in the travel and leisure world, and of both Travel & Leisure and Condé Nast’s reader’s love affair with the city. Funny, true story: The last time I visited him in DC was years after I had moved back to SC. Little did I know he would some 30 years later move back to Montana to a village of 1,300. I spent all those years thinking that when he retired from his DC career he would take off to NYC or back to San Diego where he lived from birth till seventh grade before moving to MT. And I felt like he was always patronizing me and SC and Columbia. He once even sent me a postcard from Charleston, where his travels had brought him, and my paranoid self thought he was just trying to get under my skin. The #1 thing we had in common was talking about cities. Anyway, on my visit with him in DC, we went to a cafe, and a friend he ran into there was all excited because it was Friday and the following week she was going on vacation.

“Going anywhere?” he asked.

“Yes. I’m going to Charleston, South Carolina.”

Without even flinching or looking at me he said, “Oh, nice. He’s from South Carolina,” with a little flick of his thumb in my direction. I don’t remember the rest.

Interestingly, that same weekend the host at a dinner party said he had heard a lot about Charleston, but hadn’t heard much about Columbia, once he learned I lived there. If I were really paranoid, I would have thought both scenes were set up to get under my skin. But no, my buddy was being sincere and wasn’t alluding to flooding, although I did telegram him an article about the Dutch Dialogue and Charleston’s rush to embrace the water creatively. I will say that waves don’t last forever and that it’s important to be ready to catch the next wave.
It basically started when Wheel of Fortune came in 2007. It was basically a 3-week commercial for the city when they came. It took a couple years for that to be redeemed, but when Southwest came in 2011, everything changed.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:24 AM

U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Cities to Live In list has Charleston at #42. Greenville’s at #32. Spartanburg’s #35. Myrtle Beach is #26. Charlotte’s #6.
https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live

Last edited by Charlestondata; 05-16-2021 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area