Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'd say life without parole for an innocent person is just as tragic as the death penalty for an innocent person.
You can undo a life without pare sentence. How about the death penalty? Texas has, without much doubt, killed an innocent man, Cameron Todd Williams.

Quote:
The death penalty works, just not in the way we like to claim it does. We don't use the death penalty to save money and the deterrent effect is useless when we allow decades long appeals processes. The death penalty is used to provide the victim's families a sense of justice. When Bin Laden was finally killed, did everybody care how much it cost or if it properly acted as a deterrent?
Yeah, comparing war criminals to Americans covered by due process and the Constitution is not worthy of discussion.Come on man, I know you're way smarter than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 03:35 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You can undo a life without pare sentence. How about the death penalty? Texas has, without much doubt, killed an innocent man, Cameron Todd Williams.

Yeah, comparing war criminals to Americans covered by due process and the Constitution is not worthy of discussion.Come on man, I know you're way smarter than that.
That's a consequence of the conviction process failing.

The point isn't the legality of it. Texas death row inmates got due process. I'm simply pointing out the sense of justice is what people are actually looking for, regardless of what they may tell you. It's not saving money or deterrence. If somebody killed a loved one, I could care less what country they're a citizen of.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That's a consequence of the conviction process failing.

The point isn't the legality of it. Texas death row inmates got due process. I'm simply pointing out the sense of justice is what people are actually looking for, regardless of what they may tell you. It's not saving money or deterrence. If somebody killed a loved one, I could care less what country they're a citizen of.
Again, I give you more credit than that. That's Clint Eastwood stuff.

True, were anyone to hurt my kids or grand kids, I'd probably kill the person, if I new for sure who did it. But then I'd turn my self in. (After a weekend in Vegas with booze, broads, and whatever other trouble I could get in.)

But due process, and in fact, our entire legal system doesn't work on emotion. It must work on pure, unadulterated logic.

And further, the Charleston Nine demonstrated that anger and hate is not the answer. Forgiveness is the answer.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Again, I give you more credit than that. That's Clint Eastwood stuff.

True, were anyone to hurt my kids or grand kids, I'd probably kill the person, if I new for sure who did it. But then I'd turn my self in. (After a weekend in Vegas with booze, broads, and whatever other trouble I could get in.)

But due process, and in fact, our entire legal system doesn't work on emotion. It must work on pure, unadulterated logic.

And further, the Charleston Nine demonstrated that anger and hate is not the answer. Forgiveness is the answer.
Where did you get them impression I was arguing against due process? Due process and the death penalty are two different things.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Where did you get them impression I was arguing against due process? Due process and the death penalty are two different things.
Right here:
Quote:
The death penalty works, just not in the way we like to claim it does. We don't use the death penalty to save money and the deterrent effect is useless when we allow decades long appeals processes. The death penalty is used to provide the victim's families a sense of justice. When Bin Laden was finally killed, did everybody care how much it cost or if it properly acted as a deterrent?
And no, you certainly didn't come out and say you were against due process, and I'm not saying that. I'm just saying you blurred the lines.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Right here:

And no, you certainly didn't come out and say you were against due process, and I'm not saying that. I'm just saying you blurred the lines.
Still don't get what you're getting at. I'm agreeing with you that it's not a deterrent and I'm stating my opinion on why.

Why do you think we have a death penalty?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Still don't get what you're getting at. I'm agreeing with you that it's not a deterrent and I'm stating my opinion on why.

Why do you think we have a death penalty?
I suppose we might be talking past each other. I took the above quoted stuff differently. My apologies. I didn't think you were specifically against due process. Maybe a better choice would be that you seemed to be rationalizing it.

Bloodlust is the reason for the death penalty. .

Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I suppose we might be talking past each other. I took the above quoted stuff differently. My apologies. I didn't think you were specifically against due process. Maybe a better choice would be that you seemed to be rationalizing it.

That's what I'm getting at. In this country we have due process before the bloodlust can be begin. We might try to rationalize unit with money savings or deterrence, but in the end we just want to see someone get out down.
Going back to my earlier post, I just don't see why we can't get some badly needed organs out of the deal while we're at it. It's one of the few times you actually know exactly when somebody is going to die, and you know it's not from a wasting disease that's made their organs take a beating.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 AM

244 posts, read 231,250 times
Quote:
That's what I'm getting at. In this country we have due process before the bloodlust can be begin. We might try to rationalize unit with money savings or deterrence, but in the end we just want to see someone get out down.
Going back to my earlier post, I just don't see why we can't get some badly needed organs out of the deal while we're at it. It's one of the few times you actually know exactly when somebody is going to die, and you know it's not from a wasting disease that's made their organs take a beating.
It would be their way of giving back to society. Especially if they had taken another's life

Old 04-27-2016, 08:41 AM

480 posts, read 504,492 times
Quote:
I think justice is the reason for the death penalty. Although you could argue the effectiveness or morality of the death penalty.

Quote:
True, were anyone to hurt my kids or grand kids, I'd probably kill the person, if I new for sure who did it.
Would this be out of bloodlust or to seek justice and closure? I think most good people would have the same feelings. This is natural to the human thought process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area