Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:45 AM

480 posts, read 504,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So you're saying the reason we built the pyramids and sent men to the moon was because some alpha males told us so?
No, they built the pyramids because there was no xbox.

Kids can pull themselves out of a bad situation, but it's rarely without some adult coaxing. I agree, most kids don't have that 'go to work' gene. If I didn't wake my kids and take them to school, they'd be in front of the tv in their pajamas right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,015,075 times
Well then, in the absence of parenting, that leaves the teachers, unfortunately, to try and instill some motivation and good and ethics. BTW, whatever happened to Truant Officers when kids didn't show up at school?

The mother of this Green kid still on the run for killing Eric Brantley said "He stopped going to school". Huh? He's 17. How does HE get to decide he can stop going to school?

Some of these kids need a big dose of discipline. And if it has to come from the criminal justice system so be it. But it needs to be serious punishment. I find it abhorrent that this Green kid laughs in the face of being arrested for something serious, saying it doesn't bother him, because he knows he'll be out the next day.

Letting people out on bail, giving them light sentences and giving them parole needs to stop. It's become a revolving door.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,959,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
No, they built the pyramids because there was no xbox.

Kids can pull themselves out of a bad situation, but it's rarely without some adult coaxing. I agree, most kids don't have that 'go to work' gene. If I didn't wake my kids and take them to school, they'd be in front of the tv in their pajamas right now.
Honestly I'd be the one in front of the Xbox if it were my choice. I go to work because that's what's paying for the Xbox.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
BTW, whatever happened to Truant Officers when kids didn't show up at school?

The mother of this Green kid still on the run for killing Eric Brantley said "He stopped going to school". Huh? He's 17. How does HE get to decide he can stop going to school?
Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the Truancy laws and Green stopping school.
There needs to be some fix for this.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Honestly I'd be the one in front of the Xbox if it were my choice. I go to work because that's what's paying for the Xbox.
I want to be in my pajamas playing Xbox.
I think it's about 30 years old when the responsibility gene starts to outweigh the lazy gene.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Well then, in the absence of parenting, that leaves the teachers, unfortunately, to try and instill some motivation and good and ethics. BTW, whatever happened to Truant Officers when kids didn't show up at school?

Some of these kids need a big dose of discipline. And if it has to come from the criminal justice system so be it. But it needs to be serious punishment. I find it abhorrent that this Green kid laughs in the face of being arrested for something serious, saying it doesn't bother him, because he knows he'll be out the next day.

Letting people out on bail, giving them light sentences and giving them parole needs to stop. It's become a revolving door.
The answer is more policing, more stops, more lock ups, and stricter sentencing. New York and LA had already been down this road a few decades ago. Their turnaround happened by more enforcement. Somebody does something stupid, just take them out of the equation so they can't pass on their stupidity to others. Eventually the only one's left are those who can actually make a difference.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:18 PM

244 posts, read 231,283 times
Quote:
The answer is more policing, more stops, more lock ups, and stricter sentencing. New York and LA had already been down this road a few decades ago. Their turnaround happened by more enforcement. Somebody does something stupid, just take them out of the equation so they can't pass on their stupidity to others. Eventually the only one's left are those who can actually make a difference.
Thus has been needed for years

Old 05-06-2016, 02:56 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
So you're saying the reason we built the pyramids and sent men to the moon was because some alpha males told us so?
I beg to differ. Every species that live on this Earth has a job to do. It doesn't typically end well for those that don't.
Your comparisons are invalid. The number of people who worked on the moon mission isn't even .000001 of the population. The pyramids were built with slave labor. Probably not a great subject to bring up in SC.

Alpha males set the standard for behavior. Equally, alpha males are the ones that rudderless kids follow. Too often in crappy communities, that's the biggest, baddest criminal.

The point I was attempting to make, apparently badly, is that without other human beings to teach generations of kids about right and wrong, we have a big chunk of the population that is doomed from birth. And while high murder rates are dominated by blacks, there are many other groups who are failing as well.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Your comparisons are invalid. The number of people who worked on the moon mission isn't even .000001 of the population. The pyramids were built with slave labor. Probably not a great subject to bring up in SC.

Alpha males set the standard for behavior. Equally, alpha males are the ones that rudderless kids follow. Too often in crappy communities, that's the biggest, baddest criminal.

The point I was attempting to make, apparently badly, is that without other human beings to teach generations of kids about right and wrong, we have a big chunk of the population that is doomed from birth. And while high murder rates are dominated by blacks, there are many other groups who are failing as well.
The biggest baddest criminal alpha males should be in jail. This kid is only 17 and has already committed 2 acts of attempted murder and one actual murder. I can't imagine what crimes he'd rack up just walking the street his whole life.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:47 PM

244 posts, read 231,283 times
Quote:
The biggest baddest criminal alpha males should be in jail. This kid is only 17 and has already committed 2 acts of attempted murder and one actual murder. I can't imagine what crimes he'd rack up just walking the street his whole life.
He has become acclimated to that life style and it would take a restructuring of his mind set to ever make a change BUT nonetheless he had to answer for his crimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area