Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:35 AM

480 posts, read 504,285 times

Advertisements

I was across the street when the 15 year old boy was killed outside Olive Garden. It's kind of shocking how little attention these things attract. It's daylight, rush hour traffic, LOTS of people around, kid shot and killed and because it's a drug deal there's no big news story. No politicians making statements, no outrage, nothing... It's shocking and sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
Not sure what rock you've been under but it has been all over local news, every single broadcast. Social media has been blowing up.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,696,002 times
It's dominated the P&C for the last two days. It's all over the TV news. Not sure how much more coverage you want???

Old 03-20-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
how much more coverage you want???
I'm sure I missed the article. What did Summey say, what did Clyburn say, where did the kid go to school, where did the gun come from...

Old 03-20-2016, 10:14 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Oh, I see where you are going with this. Sorry, I won't play along.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I'm sure I missed the article. What did Summey say, what did Clyburn say, where did the kid go to school, where did the gun come from...
Typical....

Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM

624 posts, read 693,011 times
We forget that North Charleston is a dangerous place. 10 years ago, it was the most dangerous city in the US. It's better now, but there is still a lot of drug crime.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
No politicians making statements, no outrage, nothing... It's shocking and sad.
At least they are starting to acknowledge the problem. I guess the first step is finger pointing.

"Mayor Keith Summey blames the criminal-justice system for the way the young man’s life ended. A community activist blames Summey for not funding programs to give disadvantaged youth alternatives to selling drugs. And a City Council member says the black community needs to be doing more to keep young men from shooting each other."

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...urse-as-a-teen

Old 04-06-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
No politicians making statements, no outrage, nothing... It's shocking and sad.
You have to give credit where credit is due. I applaud the effort gentlemen.

Black male community leaders say they have a plan to address black-on-black crime, and it starts with gang leaders in North Charleston giving them a call. Councilmen and activists gave their personal cellphone numbers at a Tuesday news conference; community activist Jerome Heyward, North Charleston City Councilman Sam Hart and County Councilman Teddie Pryor.

When asked why the group decided now to reach out, Pryor said, “Why not now? We have to start somewhere.”

Community leaders to black N. Charleston gang members: Let’s talk ‘mature men to young men’ - Post and Courier

Old 04-06-2016, 05:57 AM

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish. Race-baiting?

The fact here is this....until individuals decide that they want change and want to change their behavior, this will continue. No matter who gives their "personal" numbers, writes laws or cries out the loudest, it will not change a person's heart. You can not legislate morality. You can not legislate appropriate behavior. What we are seeing is a "sin" problem and until individuals want to step up and accept responsibility for their behavior AND want to change, nothing will. Fighting sin is tough.

So enough of the race baiting. Enough of the it's "soandso's" fault. Enough blaming it on politicians. Enough.

Demand better from your brothers and sisters.....advocate and fight for accountability and demand that the offenders get their act together, instead of looking for someone to fix it for them. That certainly hasn't worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area