Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 AM

291 posts, read 548,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advent Fence Company View Post
A good reason to move to Summerville is the people of Summerville.
Really?

I lived and worked in Summerville for a while, and while you will find nice people anywhere you decide to reside, I felt that place was extremely pretentious. Don't get me wrong, there were some nice people there.

On several occasions I had conversations with different people about living in/around Charleston. All the folks I spoke with were Summerville residents. Nearly all of them immediately scoffed at the idea of living in Mount Pleasant. One couple even laughed out loud at the idea, saying those people in Mount Pleasant felt they were too good for everyone else. When West Ashley was mentioned, most would scoff at that idea as well. The typical reaction would be, "I'd never live in West Ashley". The conversation then led into why they were too good for West Ashley living.

Really?

In my observation, every Summerville resident I questioned on the matter that denounced Mount Pleasant residents for being "uppity" immediately acted uppity themselves when questioned about West Ashley.

I did not like Summerville and the majority of residents I came in contact with. Those I did not care for, ALL were pretentious and felt they were better than others. Many, but not all, were from the north. Some were just rednecks that ended up with decent jobs and felt they were elite for some strange reason.

Sorry for my honesty. Everyone has an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 AM

115 posts, read 222,183 times
Dear Unknown2You:

I agree with most of the other posters that Summerville is a good place to live. I have found the people to be extremely nice, regardless of whether they came from the north, any other part of the country, or if they are home grown.

I hope that you have found an area that you like.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 AM

20 posts, read 47,651 times
Lots of people move to Summerville because of the school systems. Since that doesn't apply, you might want a different beach town? Access to charleston is fantastic from summerville however.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM

180 posts, read 406,791 times
Thanks for being forthright! Summerville does seem to be a lower class area than Mt. Pleasant. I have been coming to the area for 40 yrs. to see family around Charleston. Upon seeing old shopping strips, rundown houses, etc. like Summerville, we joke and say "another Summerville". Hardly an upscale location for the Del Webb Cane Bay project. Maybe in 5yrs.+++

Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 PM

180 posts, read 406,791 times
We are very familiar with greater Charleston area, especially Mt. Pleasant. Unfortunately there are a minimum number of age-restricted active adult communities. The Ponds seems like a nice place, but is an open-neighborhood. We like to have a community that we can relate to such as the 55+ crowd.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 PM

5,283 posts, read 6,221,083 times
If you think Summerville is beneath you- why would you consider moving there in the first place? To spread your joy?

FWIW- the Northern end of Mt Pleasant doesn't feel a darned thing like Charleston or Mt Pleasant to me. Its simply any nice, generic suburban ara in any part of the country taht defines itself by its retail. There is the the bonus of nice coastal air.

And in 5+++ years parts of Mt Pleasant are going to look a little ragged as well if this economy doesn't pick up. I think you might be happiest in a Hilton Head or around Orlando where everything is sanitized for your protection. Plastic as all heck but sanitized none the less.

BTW- the Charleston area has great food options but limited retail for higher end or 'true' shoppers so keep that in mind.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Bait taken --- yeah there are as many Summerville snobs as there are Mount Pleasant (maybe more -- like you I've heard more snubs of MP from Summerville residents than I have heard from MP residents and anywhere else).....You want coastal living -- Summerville is not for you. You want a great community kind of close to Charleston and the ocean...then it is great.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 13,264 times
Who wants to live in a 55+ neighborhood anyways? Yeah, Summerville is not for you.

Godspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Thanks for being forthright! Summerville does seem to be a lower class area than Mt. Pleasant. I have been coming to the area for 40 yrs. to see family around Charleston. Upon seeing old shopping strips, rundown houses, etc. like Summerville, we joke and say "another Summerville". Hardly an upscale location for the Del Webb Cane Bay project. Maybe in 5yrs.+++

Old 10-17-2010, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 13,264 times
I think he wants the Summerville price right on the water, with no kids anywhere near him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Bait taken --- yeah there are as many Summerville snobs as there are Mount Pleasant (maybe more -- like you I've heard more snubs of MP from Summerville residents than I have heard from MP residents and anywhere else).....You want coastal living -- Summerville is not for you. You want a great community kind of close to Charleston and the ocean...then it is great.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM

780 posts, read 1,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
We are very familiar with greater Charleston area, especially Mt. Pleasant. Unfortunately there are a minimum number of age-restricted active adult communities. The Ponds seems like a nice place, but is an open-neighborhood. We like to have a community that we can relate to such as the 55+ crowd.

Simply stay where you are. It is senseless to post negative points on an anonymous message board asking someone to talk you in to living somewhere.

Have you considered assisted living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area