Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 141,781 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to south carolina. We have 3 girls and 1 boy my daughters are in elementary and my son in high school.
I am an aircraft mechanic and bonder. My wife a bartender/ resturant manager. We love movies, bowling, the beach, and just relaxing together along with walks.
My wife I are wondering as to wether or not to move to summerville or charleston and are open to suggestions.
I am sorry if someone has posted this question before.
We are looking to rent for the first year before we buy dont want to rush into anything.
Long story short we are looking for a decent safe area for our kids and family.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,461 times
You decision to buy or rent in the area will depend on the price range in which you would be looking to purchase and/or rent and the size and type of home in which you might have an interest. There are many Charleston area that I feel sure you and your family would love and feel comfortable in. I am sure I and other members of this forum will be glad to give you all sorts of recommendations.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM

28 posts, read 121,621 times
To coincide with your activities, I would strongly suggest you look into the downtown Charleston area, even Mt. Pleasant and James Island are priced decent and near the beach.
Take a look at Visit.sc and CharlestonCityPaper.com for in depth info.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Thank you so much for all the help you have provided for me so far. Once again I am glad to be coming home after such a long time.
My family and I will be looking to rent a 4 bed room 2 bath ( my girls need space). We are trying to not go over 1200.00 a month in rent or even lower. But like we all know location location.
Thank you

Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 AM

9 posts, read 32,675 times
Default Summerville!!!!!!!!!

I strongly suggest Summerville. Downtown Charleston has an extremely high crime rate and for decent housing you will pay way to much. The islands and Mt Pleasant are nice, IF your rich, a 2 bedroom can go for $1200/m rent or more, tiny houses are several hundred thousand dollars.
Summerville has a fairly low crime rate, which varies by neighborhood, what you need to do is call the police non-emergency number when you find a neighborhood your interested in, they have an officer whose sole job is to determine and give out crime statistics.
Also since you have kids you want to keep in mind school systems. South Carolina as a whole has the LOWEST school system ratings in the country, and most of the Charleston area is at the bottom of Sc schools, however Dorchester county (Summerville) is the exception and has some really good schools, at least compared to the rest of SC. Dorchester county is rated the highest in all of SC, whereas Charleston county stays near the bottom.
Summerville has some nice parks, free! and with the interstate running near by it is not hard to go anywhere, beaches, downtown, etc. Summerville Medical center is a pretty good hospital, and its not real far to go to the 3 large hospitals if neccessary.
Also keep in mind that Charleston area has the highest auto-accident per capita rating in the country, and N Charleston frequently has the highest murder rate in the country. I moved her about 2 years ago and lived in N charleston first, and I was scared to stay in my house, and more scared to go outside I really regretted moving here. I live in Summerville now and it is much better. Honestly I'd still rather go home to Florida, but at least I feel my kids are safe in Summerville, and when they get to school age they will get a decent education.
Let me know if you want anymore info.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Thank you for all the info Treblerose81.
Have you heard of a sudivisin called Sangaree in summerville, I have located a few house's and was wondering if it is good or bad, maybe even decent. thank you so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area