Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 01:07 PM

2,070 posts, read 891,306 times

Advertisements

TMZ claims priscilla requested to be buried next to the "love of her life" ...but it appears she did not get her wish.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/othe...st/ar-AA1bn0d5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 05:00 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPickel View Post
TMZ claims priscilla requested to be buried next to the "love of her life" ...but it appears she did not get her wish.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/othe...st/ar-AA1bn0d5

I'm rolling my eyes as much as you, but I think it won't hurt anyone if Priscilla is also buried there, at least as a way to respectfully say thanks for all she had done since Elvis passed away. Graceland is what it is, a super money making machine due to her.

It would not surprise me if we see an online petition about allowing her to be buried at Graceland.

Maybe it would make sense to start a 2nd "coffin/crypt location" for Priscilla and anyone else who would not fit where Elvis, his parents, Lisa and her son are buried.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:25 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
It was Priscilla whose spearheaded the resurrection of Graceland and turned it into a profit making enterprise. She deserves to be buried there, whether next to Elvis or on the property somewhere.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm rolling my eyes as much as you, but I think it won't hurt anyone if Priscilla is also buried there, at least as a way to respectfully say thanks for all she had done since Elvis passed away. Graceland is what it is, a super money making machine due to her.

It would not surprise me if we see an online petition about allowing her to be buried at Graceland.

Maybe it would make sense to start a 2nd "coffin/crypt location" for Priscilla and anyone else who would not fit where Elvis, his parents, Lisa and her son are buried.

Priscilla is infinitely tied to the Presley legacy, so the family may someday bury her remains at Graceland. Her daughter Lisa Marie and Priscilla’s grandson Benjamin Keough rest directly across from Elvis’ grave.

Flanking Elvis’ grave are his parents, Vernon and Gladys Presley. Also buried in the same row is the singer’s grandmother, Minnie Mae. A plaque memorializing Elvis’ twin, Jesse Garon, is also nearby.

Therefore, one of his parents’ graves would have to be moved for Priscilla interred next to the King. However, a plot could be made available for Elvis’ only wife within Graceland’s Meditation Garden.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/priscilla-presley-denied-request-buried-next-love-life-elvis-negotiations-lisa-marie-trust.html/

Old 05-18-2023, 07:45 PM

Default Elvis Presley Was Found Crying Before His Wedding to Priscilla

Here’s Why:

https://outsider.com/entertainment/e...lla-heres-why/

Old 05-20-2023, 08:35 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPickel View Post
He probably would have been crying before his marriage to anyone. I'm a huge Elvis fan, but it's obvious that he had a very unhealthy relationship with his mother. No one was going to be able to live up to her.

Biographer Alma Nash said: "Elvis was always looking for that young girl he could mold into the image of Gladys who had died when he was in the army. In a way, he dressed young women to resemble her. He picked out their clothes. Priscilla was perfect."

They met in 1959 when Priscilla Beaulieu was just 14 and The King was doing his military service in Germany. This was a pattern for the star. Another girlfriend, Sandy Martindale was the same age when they started seeing each other a few years after Elvis returned to the US.

Nash said: "In the American South at that time it wasn’t that unusual for a man of his age to date a girl of her age." However, that didn't mean it would play well to a wider market.

Nash added: "When Priscilla moved into Graceland, the Colonel lost his mind. It hadn’t been that long since Jerry Lee Lewis married his under-age cousin – and people went crazy."

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...vis-girlfriend

Old 05-20-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
He probably would have been crying before his marriage to anyone. I'm a huge Elvis fan, but it's obvious that he had a very unhealthy relationship with his mother. No one was going to be able to live up to her.
I agree.

I always saw him as a deeply troubled man. Not marriage material. After 6-7 years living w/him & traveling w/him before marriage (against her parents wishes), she knew that. Or maybe she's just easily duped, like she was w/the father of her son, Navarone -- Brazilian Marco (Garcia) Garibaldi.

Quote:
Biographer Alma Nash said: "Elvis was always looking for that young girl he could mold into the image of Gladys who had died when he was in the army. In a way, he dressed young women to resemble her. He picked out their clothes. Priscilla was perfect."
They met in 1959 when Priscilla Beaulieu was just 14 and The King was doing his military service in Germany. This was a pattern for the star. Another girlfriend, Sandy Martindale was the same age when they started seeing each other a few years after Elvis returned to the US.
WADR it seems odd to me that the author would suggest Elvis dressed priscilla to resemble Gladys. I always heard it was he who liked her hair piled higher than a country western singer, & wearing that gaudy, overly exaggerated eye makeup.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...akeup-on.html/

She claims in Elvis & Me that it was exhausting trying to keep up & that he'd make her go back upstairs & put on more eye makeup, if he didn't consider it was enough. She describes him as a bit of a tyrant. Obsessed w/always appearing perfectly coiffed while relaxing around the house. He was molding her alright, but I disagree it was in Gladys' image.

Also odd I'm not able to find a single image of her dressed in a matronly fashion. Maybe this was cosplay behind closed doors?

Quote:
Nash said: "In the American South at that time it wasn’t that unusual for a man of his age to date a girl of her age." However, that didn't mean it would play well to a wider market.
Apparently it hasn't changed much in rural areas, they just keep it on the down-low.

Before the eighteenth century, children as young as eight or nine married in America, and children in their teenage years have been marrying in the United States since then. The practice is most common today in rural areas, where it remains hidden from most urban and suburban dwellers, who tend to assume that teenage marriage is a relic of the past.
https://www.cpr.org/show-segment/chi...ersists-today/

Quote:
Nash added: "When Priscilla moved into Graceland, the Colonel lost his mind. It hadn’t been that long since Jerry Lee Lewis married his under-age cousin – and people went crazy."

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...vis-girlfriend

He famously idealised youth and innocence in women. He was obsessed with cuddling and baby talk and apparently insisted Priscilla remain a virgin. Once a woman became a wife and a mother, it changed the way Elvis looked at her.

Priscilla, herself, was not pleased when she immediately fell pregnant, fearing it would disrupt the way Elvis saw her - and she was right. She later said that he stopped coming to her bed at all.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...Colonel-Parker

Old 05-21-2023, 04:44 AM

Priscilla Presley Attends Twin Granddaughters' Graduation But Remained Separate From Family

After they struck a deal, Priscilla told ET that she was ready to move on.

"My family has resolved all confusion as it relates to our plea to the court and request for document interpretation after my daughter Lisa Marie's untimely passing," Priscilla said in a statement to ET. "Although some media identified such a plea as a lawsuit, I want to make clear that there was never any lawsuit filed against my beloved granddaughter."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...D=ansmsnnews11

Noticeably absent was Riley Keough.

How odd.

Priscilla claimed they were all closer than ever.

I've often wondered how much of what she says is truth, or marketing.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:34 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Gonna try to add some thoughts. I lost my original reply because it was written early yesterday but never posted.

I tried to look to see if there were any details about Priscilla's unsuccessful bid to be buried at Graceland but am not seeing specifics. It will be sealed when it is filed by June 14th. I am seeing that there is no room next to Elvis, he is buried next to his grandmother and parents. According to an article I'm seeing, the twins father Michael Lockwood has also been added as a guardian ad litem so he can represent the twins' interest. This article says Priscilla will walk away with millions per the agreement they made.

I do wonder why Priscilla never had a "burial spot" claimed at Graceland all of those years that she did have her hand in it. It's typical that people have their names and birth info on headstones for their family like my mother in law with her husband and son.

At one point I mentioned that Graceland could eventually lose it's appeal as the older generation died off. I wonder what will happen to things such as the grave yard there. Will everyone be "exhumed" to be buried at a local cemetery so that Graceland can be sold? IIRC they're all above ground in crypts so it won't be a huge project to move everyone.

Below is an article saying that Graceland will not appear as grand as it was in the 70's when Elvis was alive. Elvis being over the top having things such as his TV room with 3 TV's which was not typical then, compare it to now, people do more than watch TV on one, having multiple TV's in one room is not so uncommon either. These days, even a homeless person can have TV and internet on their cell phone.

The younger generation is a disposable generation. They are not interested in saving things from the past such as their parents and grand parents have done. IMO it will be sad if they're not interested in things like the first cars, motorcycles and airplanes, airplanes such as what our military used in the wars. These airplanes were a game changer.

Economic Growth Makes Graceland Less Impressive

Quote:
If you embrace the conventional wisdom about income trends over the last few decades, you know that almost all the gains from economic growth have gone to those at the very top of the income distribution. The super-rich got super-richer, and they left the rest of us behind to make do with our stagnating incomes.

Except that what you know just might not be so. First, research by Vincent Geloso, Phillip Magness, John Moore, and Philip Schlosser shows that inequality hasn’t changed as much as a lot of people believe (you can read a shorter summary of their paper here). Second, data on inequality and the difficulties of comparing what a dollar buys now to what a dollar buys then obscure some of the ways we have become more equal over time. You can see this by going to Graceland.

My family lived in Memphis for six years while I taught at Rhodes College from 2006-2012. During that time, I only visited Graceland — Elvis Presley’s famed mansion and Memphis tourist attraction extraordinaire — once. It was as garish as you might expect, but in a lot of ways, economic growth meant it wasn’t as impressive in 2012 as it would have been when Elvis lived there in the 1970s. First, just a picture of the place doesn’t look like anything that special if you’re familiar with palatial modern suburban homes. The TV room in particular is quaint. In the 1970s, it would have been very impressive to own three TVs. In the 2020s, where everyone basically carries three TVs in their pocket and backpack — phone, laptop, tablet — it’s a lot less so. What was once Elvis’s unimaginable luxury is available to homeless people walking around with smartphones.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:11 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
I do agree about the part that Graceland might lose its appeal. When I drove by there last year the area wasn't great. You can barely see the house up on the hill through all the trees. There is a place to pull over, get out and try to view from the gate. Four lane road with lots of traffic. There is a nice area of houses to one side but the rest is all downscale older office buildings, gas stations etc., and half a mile away an entrance to the freeway it just didn't do much for me at all. Reminded me of what happened to Disneyland after many years in Anaheim. If it weren't for Graceland, that area would have gone to pot years ago.

(By the way, apparently voice activation thinks that an apostrophe is needed in the "its" in the first sentence. I had to go back and correct it. Whats up with that??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities