Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 11:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
To be fair, due to Priscilla's savvy, she did increase Elvis' estate to 100 mil but yeah, she doesn't know how to let go. She needs to wise up. You can't take it with you and she's not getting any younger.
Yes—she did to that because Elvis had so many hangers-on and scavengers feeding off him that his fortune was not so fortune by the end of his life—
But Lisa Marie did ok when she managed (even if selling off most of Elvis’s estate might have been a mistake—she needed the infusion of cash and that was the only way to get it)
If Lisa Marie was unbiased she would trust Lisa Marie’s wishes
Riley is almost 40 and has had a career for years—she is not a newbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 11:30 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
My point was Priscilla pursuing the legality of the amendment.

Disclaimer: I am going by memory of when I first read about this issue between Priscilla and Riley. I still stand by Priscilla until it is sorted out legally.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:40 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I was a kid when Elvis died and I had only seen him as a fat middle aged weird guy. Oddly enough, I do remember where I was when I heard of his death. Not because his death was all that impactful to me, but because of the reactions of some of the other people I was with who were blindsided and in shock over his death.

I have since developed an appreciation for Elvis, his music, his legend and his life. If I'm ever near Graceland I will be sure to take a tour. As for my young adult children, I think they have a vague idea who Elvis was but I don't think he's really on their register. They could walk right by Graceland and not be curious enough to tour it. And my kids like museums, music and enjoy history.

I was almost 12 when Elvis died and I was crushed; I loved his voice and his sheer beauty (younger).

My parents took me and my sister to his show in Hawaii in 1973 (I was 7) and was awed.

The man couldn't act, but I watched all of his movies and had almost every album. My kids and grandkids have grown up knowing many of his songs (Kentucky Rain is a favorite since they live in KY).

His "In the Ghetto" and "If I Can Dream" are (unfortunately) still relevant today.

Priscilla needs to try to be a terrific grandmother to Lisa Marie's children and try to have a better relationship with them than she had with her daughter.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:10 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I was almost 12 when Elvis died and I was crushed; I loved his voice and his sheer beauty (younger).

My parents took me and my sister to his show in Hawaii in 1973 (I was 7) and was awed.

The man couldn't act, but I watched all of his movies and had almost every album. My kids and grandkids have grown up knowing many of his songs (Kentucky Rain is a favorite since they live in KY).

His "In the Ghetto" and "If I Can Dream" are (unfortunately) still relevant today.

Priscilla needs to try to be a terrific grandmother to Lisa Marie's children and try to have a better relationship with them than she had with her daughter.
We were around the same age when he died and I think I saw Elvis in a parade or something like that. I really do not remember. The Elvis that drew in the women and the crowds when he was young, handsome and flying up the charts wasn't the same guy that we saw live on t.v. And my parents weren't big Elvis fans so that probably had something to do with my lack of exposure to his early stuff.

Donny Osmond, Leif Garrett, David Cassidy and even John Travolta were more my speed back then.

I don't really remember watching any Elvis movies until after he died. Like I said, later on I did come to appreciate his music and legend.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Ok so here's my story:

I was fifteen when Elvis died. I didn't care a fig about him (or the Beatles, but I digress). However, what I remember about that summer day was that when my cousins and I (we were visiting cousins in Baton Rouge, LA) left the house, the grownups were all gearing up to BBQ outside and drink beer and all that. When we got back, what struck me the most is that all the blinds were drawn throughout the house. The grownups were talking in hushed tones and they said "Elvis is dead." What? Where's the BBQ? The good thing was that they left us cousins alone for at least 24 hours so we had a great time.

Anyway, fast forward about 35 or 40 years and I FINALLY went on a tour of Graceland - because heck, I was in Memphis anyway. I was impressed by the historic value of it, and I admit that I downloaded a bunch of Elvis songs after I left there, but like others have said, the house itself wasn't all that impressive, and the area CERTAINLY wasn't (though I am sure the area has changed). I mean, it was a bigger than average house but it wasn't crazy big.

Personally, I think it was a nicer than average home for its time and I also thought that Elvis was probably easily impressed.

I think Priscilla should butt out of her ex husband's life once and for all.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:36 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We were around the same age when he died and I think I saw Elvis in a parade or something like that. I really do not remember. The Elvis that drew in the women and the crowds when he was young, handsome and flying up the charts wasn't the same guy that we saw live on t.v. And my parents weren't big Elvis fans so that probably had something to do with my lack of exposure to his early stuff.

Donny Osmond, Leif Garrett, David Cassidy and even John Travolta were more my speed back then.

I don't really remember watching any Elvis movies until after he died. Like I said, later on I did come to appreciate his music and legend.

We're the same age, I've watched Elvis's movies, probably more than one time because they were on TV when we were younger. He was older at that point and over weight, not sure why they played the movies, he hadn't died yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok so here's my story:

I was fifteen when Elvis died. I didn't care a fig about him (or the Beatles, but I digress). However, what I remember about that summer day was that when my cousins and I (we were visiting cousins in Baton Rouge, LA) left the house, the grownups were all gearing up to BBQ outside and drink beer and all that. When we got back, what struck me the most is that all the blinds were drawn throughout the house. The grownups were talking in hushed tones and they said "Elvis is dead." What? Where's the BBQ? The good thing was that they left us cousins alone for at least 24 hours so we had a great time.

Anyway, fast forward about 35 or 40 years and I FINALLY went on a tour of Graceland - because heck, I was in Memphis anyway. I was impressed by the historic value of it, and I admit that I downloaded a bunch of Elvis songs after I left there, but like others have said, the house itself wasn't all that impressive, and the area CERTAINLY wasn't (though I am sure the area has changed). I mean, it was a bigger than average house but it wasn't crazy big.

Personally, I think it was a nicer than average home for its time and I also thought that Elvis was probably easily impressed.

I think Priscilla should butt out of her ex husband's life once and for all.

Ex-husband exactly. She has no business doing anything.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:29 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,149,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

Thank you for sharing this.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Personally, I think it was a nicer than average home for its time and I also thought that Elvis was easily impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

I’m just a simple retired builder/construction worker, my place I built for us is nowhere near as nice as that place by any means but my living room is probably larger.
That’s what I mean by humble for who he was.
Maybe he just had bad taste or it spoke of who he was and where he came from.
I dunno.
I think you both are missing a lot of details about the purchase of Graceland.

Elvis didn’t choose Graceland. His parents did. They needed a more private home because they were getting overrun by fans. Elvis was on his way back to Tennessee after filming “Jailhouse Rock” when his parents saw exactly two houses, and decided on Graceland. They told Elvis that they liked it, he saw it the next day, and they signed the contract. The purchase price was $100,000, or just over $1 million in today’s money. Not bad for a 22 year old.

Graceland was built on land left over from a 500 acre farm. They got a 19 acre parcel of land with the house—originally built in 1939—and Elvis always regretted not buying up all the land around it. But this was a home that Elvis bought for his parents. Gladys wanted chickens and a garden and she got them. Elvis added the swimming pool and made many additions and changes over the next 21 years.

I’m sure Graceland was the height of luxury compared to the shotgun shack with no plumbing or electricity that was their first home in Tupelo, or the projects that they lived in when they first moved to Memphis. You have to remember, these people were poorer than dirt. More to the point, I’m not sure how many luxury properties with 19 private acres were floating around the outskirts of Memphis in 1957.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:55 PM

2,967 posts, read 1,641,416 times
We were in a tea room in England a few years back, having a cream tea.

Our waitress, probably 20 at most, heard our American accents and said she'd always wanted to go to the US.

We asked her where she wanted to go, she got this dreamy look in her eyes and said "Graceland. I've been in love with Elvis since I was 12." Which was probably all of 8 years previous.

Hope she got to see it.

None of the Presleys have a lick of business sense, including Elvis and his parents. Riley's not that young but does she have business experience.

Performers are notorious for choosing crooked business managers.

We'll see.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:03 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post

None of the Presleys have a lick of business sense, including Elvis and his parents.
Considering Elvis’s parents were functionally illiterate and didn’t have so much as a high school education, that’s understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities