Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
It is a good step for trans visibility. If there can be shows about pawn shops, pitbulls, out of control breeding and polygamy....why not this?

Whether people want to think about it or not, there are Americans who are dealing with this. Where will they get support or information from? Most transgendered people in media are the butt of jokes. Why shouldn't there be an alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
it would be one thing if Chaz did a show and or wrote a book to help others. I think Chaz is making things public for $$$$ and notarity. Many people have already brought light to this subject and don't think there is anything else to be added. If his last name wasn't Bono and or has a mother by the name of Cher there would be no show and no book. Doubt there would even be a sex change.
Chaz has a show, a documentary actually called Becoming Chaz that chronicles that journey of becoming a man and also has a book out. It is of no surprise that the media seeks him out for interviews because he is the daughter of Sonny and Cher. Chaz seems be honest in his intentions and have seen an interview where he would like to help transgendered youth. The rate of suicide, alcohol and drug abuse is very high in this population. Youth can be very focused on celebrities and the media and if they have someone to relate to, then perhaps a lot of the trouble they experience can be reduced. There have been a few transgendered individuals with no famous ties who have written books on their journey as well. A quick search on Amazon reveals that: Amazon.com: transgender
There are youth out there who are struggling with these issues and if in a small way Chaz's story helps them, then that's a good sign.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times
The youth of today don't know who his parents are. Youth today don't know who Chaz is either. So doubt it will help our youth of today.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The youth of today don't know who his parents are. Youth today don't know who Chaz is either. So doubt it will help our youth of today.
I am aware that the youth do not know who Chaz is (they will know after a quick Wikipedia search or Google search) but he is in the spotlight in part to the media. He can be of great comfort to the youth who feel very ostracized at school and know that Chaz is under a much harsher microscope under national attention than the youth.
I believe anyone who can really get out there and help the youth is needed, push a need for greater resources...too many suffer silently.
There are also many adults who do know who Chaz is who have struggled with their identity for decades that find they can relate to Chaz because they do know who he is and who his parents are.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Skeet09, this is about someone who wants to make money. When Chaz goes for an interview he makes money. If Chaz does an interview he makes money. If Chaz is invited to speak at a school he will make money. To be an activist Chaz will make money.

Youth of today want someone they can relate to, and IMO I just don't see Chaz as being relatable.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Chaz is undergoing hormone treatment and has undergone surgery (possibility more is needed, I am not sure) so Chaz will be completely 100% male.

Hormones DO NOT change your genes!! Hormones make physical changes! She still has 2 "X" chromosomes!!

This is nuts!!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Skeet09, this is about someone who wants to make money. When Chaz goes for an interview he makes money. If Chaz does an interview he makes money. If Chaz is invited to speak at a school he will make money. To be an activist Chaz will make money.
Yes, anyone would make money if they do interviews and speak at a school just like any other motivational speaker who presents different topics.
Of course youth want someone they can relate to but they are also very aware of the constant attention Chaz is receiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Hormones DO NOT change your genes!! Hormones make physical changes! She still has 2 "X" chromosomes!!
You missed the part about the surgery. The surgery will change his anatomy. Please research gender change operations.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM

987 posts, read 1,747,151 times
I caught part of the show Sunday (and on Rosie O'Donnell's Doc Club), and I'm not really going to get into what Chaz's true intentions are, but that I found it interesting & informative, because I was curious, and I liked the portion regarding questions asked by audience, so I gather he's still got more surgery in mind as far as finalyzing (???, for lack of better term) but I guess at this time the technology is still new & slowly progressing, interesting....

Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Again, Chaz is doing this to make money and to be relavent again. No other reason. I wouldn't allow my kids to entertain going the transgender route. Kids just as adults change their mind of who they want to be. CitizenKane makes a valid point, you can change appearances but you can't change your DNA.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't allow my kids to entertain going the transgender route.
Even if you don't allow it, it is still something they believe to be true. A transgendered person truly believes they were born of the wrong gender. No amount of parent authority will change that and they will possibly feel even more troubled. There are many adults out there that for decades have believed they were the wrong gender but felt they couldn't be who they really are because of their parents disapproval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities