Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 AM

18,055 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

My 14 week old rescue kitten was spayed this past Tue. and did great. In fact she came home and you'd never know she had surgery, she was wild/energetic as ever and she did not sleep/rest as I thought she might. I tried to contain her and she was having none of it--yowlling to be with me and the dog. I gave her the prescribed pain meds for the next 3 days in her food. She was eating, drinking, and using litterbox just fine and running around as usual. Her incision is healing well and she hasn't bothered it. She's an indoor-only kitty.

Friday night, 3.5 days post spay, she was kind of subdued and yesterday morning she was heaving as if she was going to vomit. She was listless/subdued all day, didn't eat except for a few little treats, and slept a lot. Last night she meowed in distress and threw up twice. I called the vet who told me to withhold food, which I did. The vet said she doesn't know what could be wrong with her (I was thinking maybe an infection or complication from her spay surgery and/or shots). She drank some water this morning and threw up again.

Obviously something is wrong and she will need IV fluids to make sure she doesn't dehydrate. She's only about 4 lbs.

Naturally I'm worried. She *will* see her vet today as I will insist on it (mobile vet). I've already spent a lot of $$$ on this kitten and I want her to be well. Except for the last 24 hrs she's been otherwise healthy and vigorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Is this the same vet you saw previously that said they didnt know what could be wrong? Withhold food? I dont know about anyone else but the only time I've been told to do that is before surg.
Please keep us posted.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM

Yes this is the same vet and is the only vet this kitten has seen since I got her. Withholding food for up to 24 hrs is a common thing to do when an animal is vomiting. A different vet had me withhold food for 24 hrs when my dog was sick/vomiting several years ago. Their stomachs need the rest when they've been vomiting. The vet hasn't seen her since her spay surgery 5 days ago. The vomiting started yesterday morning and I called the vet last night. Without examing her the vet doesn't know what's wrong with her. So she will be seen today.

Getting fluids into them is the more important thing to do, which is why I believe she'll be getting IV fluids today (and maybe an antibiotic too). She did eat a few treats yesterday when she wouldn't touch her food, but then she vomited several hrs later.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 AM

My vet just called to check in.

She's going to come in a couple hrs or so and get the kitty started on IV fluids. At least I know she won't get dehydrated. Hopefully she'll start feeling better and we'll figure out what's going on.

I'm worried, of course.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 AM

Update: vet just left. Kitty def. was warm & a bit dehydrated. She got an anti-nausea shot, an antibiotic shot, but REFUSED the infusion of fluids. Such screeching! Vet tried 3 times but she fought it with all her might, so the vet used a syringe and infused her with some fluids, but only a fraction of the total.

She's now on antibiotics for the next 10 days. Hopefully that will get her well. Why she got sick, we just don't know.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Is this the same vet you saw previously that said they didnt know what could be wrong? Withhold food? I dont know about anyone else but the only time I've been told to do that is before surg.
Please keep us posted.
I have to agree with Hartwell Girl. Withholding food for 24 hours doesn't seem right. I've only been told to withhold before surgery and only for 12 hours. It's very dangerous for a cat to not eat. This I know from personal experience. I've had 2 sick cats this year and lost both of them. I have seen 7 different vets in the last 8 months and they all stressed how important it is for cats to eat. Not one of them suggested withholding food for any amount of time, even for my cat that was vomiting.

I am in no way blaming you for any thing, you're only doing what they told you. I hope you're kitten is feeling better. Poor little thing. If for some reason she doesn't improve, I would get another opinion. I have found out the hard way that you can't always trust what the vet tells you.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Well kitty's allowed to have food now if she wants it. The vet only said to withhold food overnight...so really it was a mere 9 hrs. She wasn't eating on her own anyway when the nausea/vomiting started yesterday morning.

If you read my update above you'll note that she's now been seen by the vet, who was here about 90 min ago, had a couple shots, incl. an antibiotic, and was also given some subcutaneous fluids since she was a little dehydrated. She's resting right now. She has access to food & water if she wants it (she doesn't want it).

I am watching her closely and will be checking in with the vet again tomorrow morning. She's on antibiotics for the next 10 days.

It's a nonspecific 'illness' in which kitty is feeling sick, is running a slight fever, has been vomiting and up until 24 hrs ago was fine.

If one of you know something I should be doing right now that I'm not doing, and something the vet hasn't done so far but should be doing, then please speak up.

Getting "a 2nd opinion" right now is probably not needed since other than fluids, antibiotics, rest and access to food & water, I don't think any vet is going to try something different.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
I did read your update and only mentioned getting a second opinion if she doesn't show any improvement. How long has it been since she has eaten? If it's been longer than 12 hours I would try to get her to eat. You could try tuna fish or baby food. Just make sure it is the pure meat baby food, no seasonings. My cats love the baby food. It works great for sick kitties. If she won't eat on her own you'll have to force feed her. If you need help with that, just send me a dm, I'd be more than happy to help you! If a cat doesn't eat it does something to their livers and that is when it gets dangerous. Since the vet gave her an anti-nausea shot she'll probably start eating on her own and I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

It sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of her! I hope you don't think I was being critical of you. I have little trust in the vets these days after the last 8 months I've been through. And I know I'm not the only one on here who has been misguided by their vets. We're here to look out for each other and lend support.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:13 PM

It's been about 16 hrs since she ate. She has had water but threw that up this morning. Since then the vet has been here on a housecall, gave her meds, subcutaneous fluids, and also gave me 10 days of antibiotics (Clavamox) to give her. She also has some diarrhea too.

I'll get some pure meat baby food at the store and see how she does.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,973 times
Maybe an x-ray might be useful. Something going on in the intestinal tract perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats