Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody. Many of you may know that I already have 4 cats and 2 dogs. This weekend we found a gorgeous little taby in the backyard stuck in between fences and scared to death. We took her in but she's bruised and limps. I took her to the vet yesterday and she has a fractured femur. He gave her a shot of antibiotic and antiinflammatory to try to help a little until we figure out what to do. If I take her to a shelter, they'll kill her. If I keep her, the surgery costs a lot, probably around $700.00 She's about 3 mths old and the sweetest thing. I guess she's feeling better this morning and was even trying to play with the other cats, who have not really welcomed her. I can't put her to sleep or just let her go die somewhere.
Question- does anybody know of a place that would do the surgery for a reduced fee or what could I do?
I'm in Miami and I'm staying home today to do some cat surgery legwork, so any ideas would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
Have you asked your vet if there is any alternative to the surgery? Could the break be splinted until it heals? A cat I have had for a long time had two broken legs when I got her and my vet suggested that I confine her so she would not jump so I put her in a really large dog cage with food, water & litter and she stayed in there for several weeks while the bone knit. It was so hard to keep her confined but it was the right thing to do and she healed like a champ and never had any problem associated with the broken legs. It may not work for you but it is a thought.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,032 times
I hope you find a place that will help you!
Sounds like that kitten wondered into the right back yard.!!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Have you asked your vet if there is any alternative to the surgery? Could the break be splinted until it heals? A cat I have had for a long time had two broken legs when I got her and my vet suggested that I confine her so she would not jump so I put her in a really large dog cage with food, water & litter and she stayed in there for several weeks while the bone knit. It was so hard to keep her confined but it was the right thing to do and she healed like a champ and never had any problem associated with the broken legs. It may not work for you but it is a thought.

Thank you. My vet had given me the name of this lady who works at a Vet Supply company and is into all these rescue things. I spoke with her this morning and she referred me to another "retired" vet who helps people out. I just came from there. First he did a HIV/leukemia test, which came out negative and then after looking and looking at the x-ray I had and examining her, decided that this was an old fracture already because it was calloused so he said we could splint first instead of surgery and then check again in about 3 weeks (with another x-ray). He says the fracture should heal. She might limp forever but that she should be okay, and it would save a lot of money. So he gave her a little anesthesia and spent about an hour just doing the bandaging and cutting the splint to size, etc. The cat is very feisty and strong.
I just let her out of the carrier and she was going bonkers trying to walk with this one stiff leg and use her litter. Well, I had to clean her up but now she's eating and resting again.
I'm glad I went out of my way and was able to get her some help. Looks like it will be a happy ending!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:58 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Awww, I'm glad everything worked out! She was lucky you found her...

Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Awww, I'm glad everything worked out! She was lucky you found her...
Yeah My big dog was the one who actually found her. He barked and barked and barked until we came out, looked, and picked her up. Now he watches her and the other kittens like a hawk. He's a very protective dog. And I forgot to say before that I do have her sort of confined. She's in the guest bedroom with food, water, litter and a big bed (which can actually climb onto )

Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM

Thank You Cabin Fever!!! I'm a softy when it comes to animals. Glad my husband is too :-)

Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
When I was single and living in an apartment I fed all the stray cats and one day came one and found one was hurt so took him to the vet and he became mine. Someone had thrown him out because he was declawed and nutered (sp) and I thought this is great then I found out he had a kidney problem and needed major surgery. I had him three months and loved him so much I said do it and it gave him 14 extra years to live and bring me great joy. He passed away in 2003 from kidney failure but I never regretted spending the money on him.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM

As soon as I can, I'm going to take a picture of Tabatha with her humongous green leg (the bandage over the splint is green for Christmas :-) ) and send it out. She's figured out how to get into her litter box without getting IT all over her and she's really funny walking on three legs and this green thing trailing on her side. Sometimes she plops and has to rest but boy, she's got spunk! :-)))

Old 12-13-2006, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 44,896 times
I'm glad there was a good outcome!

For future reference, usually states have an animal assistance type of program to help with veterinary cost on a case by case basis. Here is CA it is the "Animal Assistance League" (along with other programs but that's the most popular). Call around to vets offices and see what info they can give you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats