Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the concern and prayers.

I'll take the questions one at a time:

1. Yes Kitty has had bowel movements--she has some diarrhea but is using her litterbox. She is also urinating.

2. She's on Clavamox, which is what most vets prescribe. It's supposed to be safe for kittens and cats. Are you telling me it is not safe? This is in addition to the antibiotic shot she received yesterday and the anti-nausea shot she received. She did receive subcutaneous fluids via injection. I started feeding her baby food with warm water a few hrs after the subcutaneous fluids. She has not gone more than that initial 12 hrs without food & water and I'm now feeding her about every 4 or 5 hrs.

3. I got some Nutri-Cal paste (high calorie supplement) on my lunch hour today and with several squirts of that, some warm filtered water, some pure beef baby food, some of her (no grain) wet kitten food, and some probiotics, blended it all together into a liquid consistency and fed her about 20 cc's during lunch using the syringe. She wasn't interested in licking the NutriCal paste on her own, so I resorted to making the nutritious mixture and doing assisted feeding with the syringe. So far she's keeping it down. She will get 3 more feedings of that today/tonight.

4. I saw her drink some water. She's keeping that down too.

5. She seems a little bit perkier; she came running up to me when I got home for lunch and was meowing.

6. There's a dedicated feline veterinary practice and I'm going to call and get her established with care there and transition from the mobile vet.

7. Obviously 14 weeks is too young to spay...well now I know. Should have waited until she was at least 20 weeks. Can't undo that. Gotta keep moving forward and give her the best chance I can and keep getting food, supplements, and water into her.

8. I will setup an appt with the new feline vet and have them run a full battery of tests, bloodwork, xray, scans and anything else they think she needs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,328,604 times
Thanks for the update. Sounds like kitty is doing better.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Clavamox is fine..mine have been on it any # of times.
Sounds as tho your little one is feeling a bit better.
Keep us posted.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,040,178 times
Did you get any other flavors of the baby food? I've had a lot of success with the turkey and lamb flavors. I have 4 cats and none of them care for beef in their canned food. I hope the baby feels better soon.

Just saw your update. Glad she's making some progress!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Glad she's doing better!

Also glad you're going to a new vet, and no I didn't mean that Clavamox is bad, just that when cats or dogs are vomiting we usually opt for something IV like Unasyn because there's no chance of them throwing it up, they'll be sure to get the full dose and be onto a speedier recovery. Clavamox (usually the drops for kittens or puppies) are usually what we would prescribe when we send the animal home, after the vomiting has stopped and regular eating patterns have been established.

I forgot to mention canned pumpkin is also good & they usually like it...helps with diarrhea too.

Good luck with the new vet, please do keep us posted!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM

FYI, the kitten did have an antibiotic shot yesterday, along with the anti-nausea shot. What that antibiotic was I don't know. So obviously she did not vomit up that antibiotic. And fortunately she did not vomit the liquid clavamox last night either. Hopefully we'll have as much success with tonight's clavamox dosage as well and in the remaining 8 days.

The kitten's wet food is chicken/turkey, and I also purchased a jar of turkey baby food in addition to the beef one. The beef baby food I'm using mixed in with the chicken/turkey wet food, and the nutri-cal paste and water, so the beef is not the dominate flavor in that mixture. I only purchased 1 tiny jar of the beef baby food and that will be gone within a couple more feedings.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 10-26-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
sounds like she is making progress and feeling better..... so happy to hear it.... keep up the good nursing.... she'll be fine before ya' know it........

Old 10-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Just to be safe I'm dropping off kitty at the specialty cat vet tomorrow morning @ 7:30am. This practice only services cats and they are known to be excellent. She will be there all day and they can run any tests they deem necessary.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,328,604 times
Sounds like you got it figured out. Hope the best for you.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,137,645 times
Lottie its good to hear your baby is doing a little better, sounds like all your love and dedication are doing what you intended--getting her healthy. I am sure you are super stressed over this and that greeting you got at your lunch break was your thank you from her, it would have warmed my heart to see that. My husband finds is annoying that the cats all meet me at the door when I come in, but that's why we all love them so much isnt it? Please keep us posted, the people on this forum are so supportive and I found their help wonderful during Sidneys sickness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats