Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times

Advertisements

I have a kitten that is about 4 months old. I have had him since he was about a month old and bottled fed him. He is the cutest, friskiest and most loving guy ever...until I got him neutered and declawed.

That was on Wednesday and I was able to bring him home late Thursday. Today he has done nothing but sleep and hasn't eaten since early this morning. He is making sad little sounds while he sleeps and frankly I'm worried sick about him.

It doesn't appear that his paws are hurting him as much as his 'privates'. Does neutering hurt? For days afterward, I mean? My dogs were neutered at the humane society before we ever got them, so I am very unfamiliar with the healing time for this.

Sigh, I spoke with the vet this afternoon and they advised to bring him in tomorrow morning if he still seems 'off', but I just can't help but worry.

Does this sound abnormal to anyone else? Or is just part of the healing process?

Thanks for letting a newbie cat mommy worry

Old 08-29-2009, 01:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I've never had a cat declawed so I can't answer about that. None of my males had trouble being snipped, except one who was adversely affected by the anesthesia. He shuddered for several days but the first night was terrible. It changed his personality immediately. I hope your little guy is OK.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
(((Hugs to you and your kittty baby))). My boys just stumbled around, and I've never had a cat de-clawed, so I 'm not sure about that. If your little fella isn't doing any better take him back to the vet. Good luck to you and let us know how he is.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
I had my cat declawed and nuetered when it was a young kitten. I knew it would always be an indoor cat. It slept for 3 days except for eating and going to potty. And mostly it just drank water and nibbled at food.
It laid around for about a week before it started acting normal and then it was a little slow.
Four years later it is a healthy, happy, ornery critter.
Yor cat will problably be fine. But if you are concerned it never hurts to have it checked.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
If you are worried about your little guy, I would take him back to the vet. However, I would take him to a different vet.

What's done is done. My next statement isn't to make you feel badly... I would find a vet that does not declaw OR neuter before 6 months of age.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:37 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
Having had several pets neutered they never had any reaction. I suspect the paws are hurting. Maybe he needs some pain meds. Call the vet. The poor little thing.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the advice all -- nothing like the empathy of fellow animals lovers

I did take him to the vet this morning (same one), and while Simon did have a temp he didn't have any obvious infection in his paws or his neutering area. So, they put a sub-Q pack in (he was dehydrated), injectable antibiotic and some kind of shot to take the pain away for about three days.
What is interesting is that they noticed when he would purr there was a crinkling noise in his upper chest by the base of his neck. The vet feels this is an injury he sustained the first day he was home, that maybe he slipped when jumping high on a counter/table/bed whatever. That makes a lot of sense since he was originally feeling fine when we first brought him home on Wednesday. Luckily he doesn't have any broken bones or signs of internal injuries - the vet feels it is like a big bruise.
So, we are to keep him in the bathroom with soft food close by and let him heal. My poor little boy! I just hope the worst is over and now he can heal and be the mischeavious little devil that he always had been.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
If you are worried about your little guy, I would take him back to the vet. However, I would take him to a different vet.

What's done is done. My next statement isn't to make you feel badly... I would find a vet that does not declaw OR neuter before 6 months of age.
Really? Wow, why is that? The vet told me that the earlier the better for declawing as the cats rebound quicker. In fact, he said Simon was a little too big to have it done and didn't recover as quickly as the smaller (though samed aged) kittens that also had it done on the same day.

Simon is only the second cat I have ever owned and is the first one I have ever had declawed. My other cat is two years old yet she is more....mmm, responsible?... with her claws intact. My legs look like I have been hiking in thorns for miles due to that little guy.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
SO glad nothing serious is wrong! And happy for Simon that he has a 3-day pain control shot (I had one when I had my toenail removed and it ws wonderful!).

Old 08-29-2009, 06:58 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Really? Wow, why is that? The vet told me that the earlier the better for declawing as the cats rebound quicker. In fact, he said Simon was a little too big to have it done and didn't recover as quickly as the smaller (though samed aged) kittens that also had it done on the same day.

Simon is only the second cat I have ever owned and is the first one I have ever had declawed. My other cat is two years old yet she is more....mmm, responsible?... with her claws intact. My legs look like I have been hiking in thorns for miles due to that little guy.
There is some concern that neutering earlier may have adverse effects. I had my little guy neutered at 12 weeks and he hasn't had any problems. It's been my experience that the younger cats are declawed the less traumatic it is for them. Declawing is a hot topic around here, just to warn you.
I'm glad your little guy got some pain meds and fluids! That should help him feel a lot better. Just keep a close eye on him as I'm sure you are. It's actually not uncommon for newly declawed kitties to sustain injuries within the first few days of surgery. They need time to adjust to not being able to grab onto things with their claws when they climb and jump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats