Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times

Advertisements

I have never had a cat declawed but I imagine that the two procedures being done simultaneously is very stressful, especially for a kitten. I think after 1 year is a better age for these procedures. And I wouldn't do them simultanously.
I agree with taking him to a different vet. You need a second opinion.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have never had a cat declawed but I imagine that the two procedures being done simultaneously is very stressful, especially for a kitten. I think after 1 year is a better age for these procedures. And I wouldn't do them simultanously.
I agree with taking him to a different vet. You need a second opinion.
I respectfully disagree. These surgeries are much harder on older cats than they are on kittens. I would much rather see a neuter done at the same time as another surgery than to expose the cat to another bout of anesthesia in order to do them separately.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Really? Wow, why is that? The vet told me that the earlier the better for declawing as the cats rebound quicker. In fact, he said Simon was a little too big to have it done and didn't recover as quickly as the smaller (though samed aged) kittens that also had it done on the same day.

Simon is only the second cat I have ever owned and is the first one I have ever had declawed. My other cat is two years old yet she is more....mmm, responsible?... with her claws intact. My legs look like I have been hiking in thorns for miles due to that little guy.
I apologize but I would call to make an appointment to get MY fingers cut off at the knuckles before I would call to get my cat declawed. My kitten climbs on my legs too, that is what kittens do and they grow out of it.

If you kitten is not feeling better soon, take him to a different vet. Being dehydrated and hearing a clicking noise, I'm sure the doctor will be the last one to fess up to something being wrong due to complications from the double surgeries. Better safe than sorry....I have much more respect for vets who offer alternatives to declawing...

I'm sorry, like someone else said, what's done is done but more people need to do research on cat declawing. DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
I apologize but I would call to make an appointment to get MY fingers cut off at the knuckles before I would call to get my cat declawed. My kitten climbs on my legs too, that is what kittens do and they grow out of it.

If you kitten is not feeling better soon, take him to a different vet. Being dehydrated and hearing a clicking noise, I'm sure the doctor will be the last one to fess up to something being wrong due to complications from the double surgeries. Better safe than sorry....I have much more respect for vets who offer alternatives to declawing...

I'm sorry, like someone else said, what's done is done but more people need to do research on cat declawing. DECLAWING: What You Need to Know
I hope your baby feels better soon.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I respectfully disagree. These surgeries are much harder on older cats than they are on kittens. I would much rather see a neuter done at the same time as another surgery than to expose the cat to another bout of anesthesia in order to do them separately.
As I said, I have never had to declaw a cat (and quite frankly, I don't agree with declawing.) You make a good point, though, about the anesthesia. But I still think that it is better to wait until at least a year to neuter.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
As I said, I have never had to declaw a cat (and quite frankly, I don't agree with declawing.) You make a good point, though, about the anesthesia. But I still think that it is better to wait until at least a year to neuter.
Only if you're planning on keeping the cats under lock and key as they're sexually mature at 6 months. All my cats have for years been early spay/neuters and never a problem of any kind at all.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Only if you're planning on keeping the cats under lock and key as they're sexually mature at 6 months. All my cats have for years been early spay/neuters and never a problem of any kind at all.
Very true. The kitten we just adopted, his mama was 5 months old when she gave birth. She was very young.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I hope Simon is doing better.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Just a quick update --
Simon is doing much better. This morning he was very spry although he tired out and is taking a nap now. Every night he sleeps between my dh and myself under the covers, and he really likes that - in fact, I think that this will be a habit that will continue even after he is all better.

Now, as to the debate regarding declawing.
Simon is only the second cat I have ever owned in my life, so it is safe to say that I am not familiar with them as a breed (just as individuals ). When we got our first cat Nellie from the Humane Society she was about four or five months old and had already been spayed and the humane society made us sign a paper promising that she would be an indoor cat and that we would get her declawed. As it turned out we didn't for two reasons - the first being that she has always been very careful about keeping her claws retracted when playing with people and the rabbit and also because the vet said that after six months the window for declawing had closed and to do it then would be extremely painful and the recovery would be harder.

As to why we declawed Simon -(sigh)- of course now I wish we hadn't simply because I feel badly about the pain he has been in. I honestly didn't think it would be that bad. Nellie has had multiple intestinal surgeries (she has a bad Polly Pocket problem, we're thinking of applying for "Intervention") and has always bounced back pretty quickly. I didn't expect declawing to be any different, in fact I would have thought it would have been easier then the surgeries Nellie has been through.

But, whats done is done. I do see both sides of the declawing debacle and in Simons case I do feel mixed about it still. I hate seeing him in pain, but he was pouncing the rabbit with claws out and that certainly was not fair to the rabbit. I have no idea if one can even train a cat to play without claws out.

At anyrate thanks to all for the support - I do appreciate it!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
SO glad he's doing better! hope the rabbit is happier now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats