Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Just a quick update --
Simon is doing much better. This morning he was very spry although he tired out and is taking a nap now. Every night he sleeps between my dh and myself under the covers, and he really likes that - in fact, I think that this will be a habit that will continue even after he is all better.

Now, as to the debate regarding declawing.
Simon is only the second cat I have ever owned in my life, so it is safe to say that I am not familiar with them as a breed (just as individuals ). When we got our first cat Nellie from the Humane Society she was about four or five months old and had already been spayed and the humane society made us sign a paper promising that she would be an indoor cat and that we would get her declawed. As it turned out we didn't for two reasons - the first being that she has always been very careful about keeping her claws retracted when playing with people and the rabbit and also because the vet said that after six months the window for declawing had closed and to do it then would be extremely painful and the recovery would be harder.

As to why we declawed Simon -(sigh)- of course now I wish we hadn't simply because I feel badly about the pain he has been in. I honestly didn't think it would be that bad. Nellie has had multiple intestinal surgeries (she has a bad Polly Pocket problem, we're thinking of applying for "Intervention") and has always bounced back pretty quickly. I didn't expect declawing to be any different, in fact I would have thought it would have been easier then the surgeries Nellie has been through.

But, whats done is done. I do see both sides of the declawing debacle and in Simons case I do feel mixed about it still. I hate seeing him in pain, but he was pouncing the rabbit with claws out and that certainly was not fair to the rabbit. I have no idea if one can even train a cat to play without claws out.

At anyrate thanks to all for the support - I do appreciate it!
I too, am glad Simon is feeling better, but very sorry you opted to declaw him.
I have never heard of the Humane Society "requiring" a declaw...neuter, absolutely, but not a de-claw. In fact, here is a link on it:
Declawing Cats: More Than Just a Manicure | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/declawing_cats_more_than_just_a_manicure/ - broken link)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I too, am glad Simon is feeling better, but very sorry you opted to declaw him.
I have never heard of the Humane Society "requiring" a declaw...neuter, absolutely, but not a de-claw. In fact, here is a link on it:
Declawing Cats: More Than Just a Manicure | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/declawing_cats_more_than_just_a_manicure/ - broken link)
Yes I was surprised to - the explanation was that cats that come to the Humane Society with claws are harder to adopt out then those without. You can see how I had the impression that declawing was not that big of a deal if my Humane Society approves and demands it.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
SO glad he's doing better! hope the rabbit is happier now!
I think she will be - she weighs about fifteen pounds and has a mean streak in her (even the dogs don't mess with her). As it was whenever she would see Simon she would growl, hiss (who knew rabbits could do that?!) and charge him. Simon of course thought this was great fun - typical boy

Hopefully now they can be friends.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You can see how I had the impression that declawing was not that big of a deal if my Humane Society approves and demands it.
It's done, so please don't fret about it any longer. Just take good care of your kitty, and give him lots of love from me and my two krazy kats!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:43 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Like I said in an earlier post, what is done is done. What I find TRULY sad is that your vet didn't inform you that it is VERY common for young kittens to scratch and bite while being playful.

The WORST is that your vet didn't give you the information as to exactly what declawing involves... the last bone of the cat's claw is removed.

Get a new vet.

Glad Simon is doing well.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
My little boy is home this weekend and recovering from neutering and front declaw. My cat is doing fine and I know the declaw issue is a hot topic on and off the internet but I don't regret it nor should any one who chooses it feel bad or like they have to answer to anyone else. I have had many cats in the last 20 years....usually more than one at once so this one little guy has been a change. Vincent is by far one of the best cats I have ever had. I automatically asked for that special collar because I have had too many female dogs rip stitches out when fixed and it always happens late at night or on the weekend when I am left to go to the emergency vet or with no other options until a vet is in. The collar also prevents the kitten from going a lot of places that normally get them in trouble.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
Smile Declaw

I have had many, many cats in my years as a cat lover. Some I have had the front claws removed on and some not, depending on the kitty and the circumstances. The ones I have had the claws removed from have recovered fine with no lasting problems.
My most recent kitty is from the Humane Society. She is adorable, but I COULD NOT keep her from scratching up my kitchen cabinets, my leather sofa, and last, from climbing up the curtains and pulling them down from the rods.
I just had her front claws removed by laser and it is by far the best recovery of any cat I have had. No bleeding, no tip-toeing around, seemingly no pain. She is her old self and still plays with my dogs, etc. We just had this done day before yesterday. It might not be the ideal thing, but the vet I go to, whom I TRUST and like, has two cats in her home with the front claws removed. I don't think it is a bad as some are making it out to be.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscoco View Post
I have had many, many cats in my years as a cat lover. Some I have had the front claws removed on and some not, depending on the kitty and the circumstances. The ones I have had the claws removed from have recovered fine with no lasting problems.
My most recent kitty is from the Humane Society. She is adorable, but I COULD NOT keep her from scratching up my kitchen cabinets, my leather sofa, and last, from climbing up the curtains and pulling them down from the rods.
I just had her front claws removed by laser and it is by far the best recovery of any cat I have had. No bleeding, no tip-toeing around, seemingly no pain. She is her old self and still plays with my dogs, etc. We just had this done day before yesterday. It might not be the ideal thing, but the vet I go to, whom I TRUST and like, has two cats in her home with the front claws removed. I don't think it is a bad as some are making it out to be.
Sorry but I would get rid of my leather sofa & curtains before removing my cats claws.... I'm also sorry you dont think its as "bad as some are making it out to be"..mostly, I'm just sorry your kitty had to go through the process at all.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I think that if people REALLY thought about what their lives would be like and the pain involved in having the first and second joints of their fingers cut off they would find some other solutions to address the kitten scratching problem(s).

Old 01-02-2010, 03:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Since the cat's surgery was in August and this thread has deteriorated from helping the OP to a debate of declawing, I am closing it for the mod's reveiw.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats