Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread so I hope the OP's kitty is well and happy but I thought I would add my story.

Years ago I had a cat vaccinated for feline leukemia. It wasn't the first time so I was surprised when she became ill. She just slept the entire next day under the radiator and wouldn't eat which was not like the active little Siamese cat she was. I was very worried since I was supposed to move the day after but didn't want to do anything that would traumatize her.

At the time, I didn't equate the vaccination with her lethargic behavior. I called the vet who told me she was probably reacting to the vaccination and said if she didn't perk up by the next day to bring her in. So I was up all night with last minute packing and watching her every move or lack thereof ready to take her to the vet and keep her there during my move to the new apartment if she didn't appear to get any better.

By the next day, though, kitty did seem better. She was a bit shaky and I decided to leave her with a friend she knew and liked so she wouldn't be upset by the moving commotion. My friend was a vet tech so I knew kitty was in good hands. When I came to pick her up that evening, she was back to her old self running around and playing with her buddy my friend's cat. After a few days she was running around the new place and acting like she owned it.

The next time she had to have a booster shot she was perfectly fine. No reaction at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,887 times
Today I went to the vet with my two kittens 3 and a half month old, to get the final vaccination. We adopt them so we don't know any reactions prior of this one. One of the kitties is dropping a lot of saliva. The other one looks ok, just sleeping, both ate a little, drink water, but that's my concern of my little one. Is late already to call the vet and I don't know what to do.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,618 times
My cat was very droopy and tired after I gave her the vaccine for the first time and she wouldn't eat but then after a few hours she gained her energy and went back to normal. Nothing to worry about unless this occurs for after 24 hours then you will have to take your cat to the vet immediately

Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,495 times
My almost 3 year old cat went to the vet yesterday for a regular check up. She was fine and healthy, and showed no signs of illness. The vet gave her all 3 vaccinations at one time: Feline leukemia, rabies, and distemper.
She also said my kitty's ears were full of gunk, probably from a food allergy, so she had the vet tech clean the ears with an ear wash and swabs. She also prescribed an antifungal/antibiotic cream for me to use on her.

I took her home and she was scared from the visit, but appeared ok. She hid under my bed, but came out to get some treats before I left for work.

Last evening when I returned from work she came out and meowed at me, and I gave her a little food. She came out a few more times last night, but when I went to bed she slept under it instead of next to me like she usually does. This morning she wouldn't come out to eat, and when I put her bowl by her under the bed she moved away from it. I picked her up and she cried a little and was drooling. I put in the ear cream, thinking maybe her ears were hurting.

However, the more I think about it, I believe she may be having a bad reactions to the vaccines. I saw that she threw up during the night last night as well.

I am at work now, but will check on her when I get home this evening. She is a 100% indoor cat, so I don't think I will be having her get shots anymore after this. She is not well, but was fine before she went to the vet yesterday.

Comments please!

Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
My former cat used to be lethargic too the night after shots.

Wonder if these shots are really necessary for indoor cats.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay123 View Post
My almost 3 year old cat went to the vet yesterday for a regular check up. She was fine and healthy, and showed no signs of illness. The vet gave her all 3 vaccinations at one time: Feline leukemia, rabies, and distemper.
She also said my kitty's ears were full of gunk, probably from a food allergy, so she had the vet tech clean the ears with an ear wash and swabs. She also prescribed an antifungal/antibiotic cream for me to use on her.

I took her home and she was scared from the visit, but appeared ok. She hid under my bed, but came out to get some treats before I left for work.

Last evening when I returned from work she came out and meowed at me, and I gave her a little food. She came out a few more times last night, but when I went to bed she slept under it instead of next to me like she usually does. This morning she wouldn't come out to eat, and when I put her bowl by her under the bed she moved away from it. I picked her up and she cried a little and was drooling. I put in the ear cream, thinking maybe her ears were hurting.

However, the more I think about it, I believe she may be having a bad reactions to the vaccines. I saw that she threw up during the night last night as well.

I am at work now, but will check on her when I get home this evening. She is a 100% indoor cat, so I don't think I will be having her get shots anymore after this. She is not well, but was fine before she went to the vet yesterday.

Comments please!
If she's still having a reaction take her to the vet. Even if she's fine, I'd be sure and call the vet and tell them about her reaction so they can make a note in her chart and make adjustments next time she needs her shots. One of my cats had a mild reaction to the shots and the vet's solution was to give him one shot at a time (spacing them out over a period of time) so that his system wasn't having to deal with all of them at once. If it is a reaction to the shots it could be worse next time.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
My former cat used to be lethargic too the night after shots.

Wonder if these shots are really necessary for indoor cats.
In my opinion they aren't, with the exception of rabies vaccinations. The risk for disease for an indoor cat is really minimal. Unless you have an 'escape artist', and have ferals or other critters in your neighborhood, I don't see the need to take the risk of periodic vaccinations. Local ordinances don't differentiate between indoor & outdoor cats when it comes to yearly vaccination requirements (they should), and vets have a vested interest in telling you it needs to be done (despite the low risk you may have).

Old 05-14-2015, 03:33 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
My cat is now going on 6 years old. Indoor cat exclusively. Except for a rabies shot, she does not get any more vaccines since her 1 yr boosters. IMO if your cat *never* goes outside and is not in contact with other animals who do go outside, then vaccines are not necessary. If you do need to vaccinate the cat, then once every 3 years is all that is needed. The titers last much longer in their system and educated vets know this.

My vet is fine with me skipping vaccines (not that it would matter to me if she wasn't), but does feel a 3 yr schedule is a good one for vaccinating adult cats. This assumes, of course, that your cat had all needed shots as a kitten on schedule AND got the boosters at 1 yr old.

Now, that said, a wellness exam is important once a year. Last year I had my cat's teeth cleaned and xrayed. And annual blood tests to check everything is also important. The only thing I skip is the vaccines. All other health care is utilized as needed.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,876 times
My cat had two vaccinations yesterday. She has not been active at all since. She ate only a few snacks from my hand this morning. After that she hid under the dresser and has not been out since. It's my understanding that the injections can cause pain and also make them feel ill for a while. She doesn't want to be near me. I suppose she's afraid I will take her to the vet again.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Zamma View Post
My cat had two vaccinations yesterday. She has not been active at all since. She ate only a few snacks from my hand this morning. After that she hid under the dresser and has not been out since. It's my understanding that the injections can cause pain and also make them feel ill for a while. She doesn't want to be near me. I suppose she's afraid I will take her to the vet again.
Keep an eye on her. Sometimes cats have bad reactions to shots. If she's not back to normal by now I'd take her to the vet.

The next time she needs her shots, I would be sure to mention she had a bad reaction and if it's appropriate for her to have two shots again, have the vet give them on different days with an appropriate interval between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats