Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I had a cat, now deceased, that got almost comatose after her vaccinations - she also drooled while lying on the floor. I started seperating her shots by a week. It was more trouble for me but the vet only charged for the first viit - the techs gave the shots and I only paid for the shot itself. She was fine after that.
This is true, some pets get very ill after vaccinations, some cannot get all the shots at one time, most tolerate the shots, some owners just get tetters which is more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,773,265 times
When Shadow was 13 weeks old, he was due for his second round of baby shots, which consisted of the ones for upper respiratory, and other stuff, and his rabies shot.

When he got home, he was snoozing on the couch. I sat down with him, and picked him up and he began screeching, not just meowing, screeching. I took him back to the vet immediately, and it was determined that it was his own body building antibodies up.

He's an indoor cat. Not sure he'll get anything further than rabies every three years from now on. Never saw any of my cats react that badly to their shots.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,805 times
My grandbaby girl kitty who is 8 months old had a feline leukemia and distemper shot on friday. Saturday started having neuro symptoms, lethargic, bumping into stuff. My kids took her to the vet, vet says he had never seen a reaction from a shot like this, probably a head injury. I say Peeshaw, it seems like serum sickness to me. Vet tech says blood pressure is up to 180/120. I said could it be she is having a seizure and the muscle spasms are giving a false high reading. Still they put her on calcium channel blocker and steriods and are going to see her again today. Mild improvement since Saturday. She is eating and walking around some and toileting. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM

157 posts, read 587,302 times
I would think this is all just a reaction to an overload of vac's for a young kitty and hopefully she'll continue being more herself with the side effects passing. Don't let the Vet talk you into anymore steroids please..Vets like to use steroids as a 'cure all' for anything and everything. all they do IMO is cause even more health problems such as diabetes.
I would also think she really doesn't need the channel blockers....maybe someone else has more experience with these.
good luck to kitty...

Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 8,805 times
Default immunization reaction

Thanks patricats!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
The day after her shots she was lethargic. The next day fine.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 PM

18,048 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Since my cat is indoor-only and the only pet, after her kitten shots and then the 1 yr old boosters, I decided no more shots for her.

She is now 3 months overdue for her rabies vaccine and I don't even want her to have that. She is literally never outside. But I know it's the law, and any vet visit she does have will require she be rabies vaccinated. I will wait for a local rabies clinic in the spring where the cost is only $5.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,580 times
There are vets that can/will "waive" rabies and other booster vaccines if they feel they may be harmful to your cats health.

I don't have the info readily available but Google and also try Pubmed and veterinarian professional sites, there is usually a page for owners.

Many cats have health problems that just haven't been diagnosed yet. Wink, Wink.

ParallelJJcat has experience with this because of JJ immunity issuses.

My current vet and I haven't discussed this issue, I was advised of this by a former vet.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM

78 posts, read 144,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeerlady View Post
I second, third and fourth this! Vaccinations are a way for vets to make money, and they will push them for that reason. If your cat is indoor-only, there is definitely no need to do any but the ones absolutely required by your state. Be an advocate for your cat, who can't tell you how sick they make them feel by avoiding any future vaxes. 10 years old is way too old to be giving boosters, sheesh. It is so maddening how blithely vets dole out the meds and vaccinations fully knowing and seeing the reactions that come back in waaay too often. My 10 year old Siamese went to the vet's for her yearly checkup last year and the vet wanted to give her a booster. I said how I was concerned with the rising trend of cancer happening at the vax site and she offered an intra-nasal vax instead (goes up their nose, supposedly safer -NOT!), which I dumbly allowed. My poor girl was at the emergency vet's office that night, having breathing problems and drooling. Several hundred dollars later, I was back home with her watching her like a hawk. I missed a day of work and she suffered - not good. I called the vet that day and told them what happened. I got the indifferent "wow, that's very odd". I will never just let any vet tell me what is good for my kitties again without doing massive research. The Internet is a godsend for cat/dog info. Arm yourself with more knowledge before your next vet visit. I know routinely inform my vet of things about food/meds/vaxes that she totally wasn't aware of. I suppose it says good things about her that she admits to not being able to keep up, but for Pete's sake that's their job! I see this all the time
We lost one a couple of years ago to Vaccine associated sarcoma at the age of 18,so we are VERY cautious now about vaccinations. We don't want to under vaccinate,but don't want to over vaccinate either.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:24 AM

930 posts, read 1,817,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
This is true, some pets get very ill after vaccinations, some cannot get all the shots at one time, most tolerate the shots, some owners just get tetters which is more expensive.

our cat's temp spiked very high after getting her shots and had to spend the night in the pet hospital. she did finally recover but it was scary. the next time shots were due, the vet suggested one shot at a time but the same reaction occured and another night in the hospital. Vet then wrote in her chart.."no more shots".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats