Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Harls is down to about 9 pounds now. He's not eating much and his eyes have lost their brightness. He's always been a solitary cat but now he wants a lap...it's like he's saying good-bye... I think my daughter is right. She says "He's dying mom, let him eat Kentucky Fried Chicken". KFC is his favorite food. My dad used to feed it to him off his plate at least twice a week. The low protein diet may keep him alive longer but he'll enjoy the chicken more.

He's lived a long life. Time to spoil him for whatever time he has left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Harls and his trouble. He should be taken to a vet if you can asap. It may be something other than terminal. Also, go ahead with the higher protein as it can only help. The low protein diet is't really healthy from what I see nowadays, too.

How old is he and how many lbs lost? These give more clues to what is going on. Please keep us posted asap. May God Bless you and Harls during his time of need.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
He is HyperT and CRF, isn't he? Are you giving him subQs? How old is Harl now?

Our boy alternates between a CRF diet (Hi-Tor Neo) and a Fancy Feast Classic diet. He can be finnicky. When he starts losing weight, I think it is more important for him to eat something, as opposed to just looking at the healthy food. Our boy will be 19 tomorrow, he has earned the right to enjoy life. We have also added Azodyl, which is supposed to help reduce the toxins that get into the blood but reducing the toxins in the gut. It seems to be working for him. He has be CRF for almost 5 years.

Fluids can help get that spark back.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Harls and his trouble. He should be taken to a vet if you can asap. It may be something other than terminal. Also, go ahead with the higher protein as it can only help. The low protein diet is't really healthy from what I see nowadays, too.

How old is he and how many lbs lost? These give more clues to what is going on. Please keep us posted asap. May God Bless you and Harls during his time of need.
Harls is hyperthyroid (on medication) and his kidneys are failing. The thyroid medication accelerates the kidney failure so he's on too low a dose (hence the continued weight loss). That's why he's been on a low protein diet but now he won't eat...unless it's a treat. It's hard for him to process the protein. But, he's 17. He's lived a long life. His real owner (my dad) passed before him over 5 years ago. I figure, at this point, anything he eats is better than nothing even if it's not the prescription diet he's supposed to be on.

I think my daughter is right. It's time to accept that he's dying and let him eat what he wants to eat. She wants to pamper him until his time comes. You know, I think I'd like to go the same way when my time comes. Forget the carrots and roughage...bring me a hot fudge sundae... Harls is getting chicken for dinner tonight.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
He is HyperT and CRF, isn't he? Are you giving him subQs? How old is Harl now?

Our boy alternates between a CRF diet (Hi-Tor Neo) and a Fancy Feast Classic diet. He can be finnicky. When he starts losing weight, I think it is more important for him to eat something, as opposed to just looking at the healthy food. Our boy will be 19 tomorrow, he has earned the right to enjoy life. We have also added Azodyl, which is supposed to help reduce the toxins that get into the blood but reducing the toxins in the gut. It seems to be working for him. He has be CRF for almost 5 years.

Fluids can help get that spark back.
Yes. No SubQ's for Harls. He's 17 and I'm not going to put him through a lot. He's been on medication and a special diet but he's lost more weight because he's just not eating now. My gut tells me he knows the time is near. He's not acting like himself. He's not eating, sleeps almost all the time and when he isn't, he wants a lap and to be petted.

Harls was a very overweight cat for a long time. It's surprising he's made it this long. He was 25 pounds when I inherited him when my dad died.

He has a vet appointment next week for a rabies shot but I'm thinking we'll skip the shot. There's not much left of this cat. He's a bag of bones in a fur coat.

Harls likes Fancy Feast too but he tends to just lick the gravy off of the meat these days. That's ok. If that's what he wants, that's what he gets. We'll see what the vet says but I'm not putting him through repeated trips to the vet. He HATES the vet.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
I am very sorry to hear about your little guy Harls. 17 is pretty old in cat years and I think you know him best. If I were in your shoes I know that I too would be looking to just make him comfortable and let him do what feels good to him. From what you said, it truly does sound like he is winding down - you just "know" when something is wrong. We have a senior who is around 15, also HT, also a bag of bones in a fur coat. I know that his time too, is winding down. A few weeks ago I was combing him and his skin actually "tore", but did not bleed. I took him to the vet because I had NEVER seen anything like that happen before. Apparently it is "normal", just like older people whose skin gets really thin and bruises easily. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and my prayers - and I wish Harls a comfortable and easy passing, when the time comes. It is never easy to say goodbye, but just make sure he knows you are near him and that you love him. You can never give him enough loving and kisses. Please let us know how you and he are both doing, and God bless you for loving him and giving him a home after your Dad passed. You know - that must have given him much comfort, knowing his boy had a home and someone who would love him. Thank you for that.....

Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I'm very sorry about Harls. I think you're right to pamper him and let him eat what he enjoys now. I also think you're right to skip any vaccinations. They aren't appropriate for a sick animal. I hope what time he has left will be peaceful. Hugs for you and your daughter.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
So sorry about Harls. Maybe he would enjoy some all meat baby food. I give it to my kitties when they no longer care to eat and they always lap up at least a little bit. It comes in chicken, turkey, or ham. It used to come in lamb, which my cats liked the best, but I never see it anymore.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Just be sure the baby food doesn't have onions in it. When one of my cats was sick and not eating I was amazed how few of the meat baby foods were free of onions.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Sadly, there comes a time. Decide if maybe a quick return to the rainbow would be better than a long, drawn out illness. If he is ill, this might be a decision to ponder.

They just don't live long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats