Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I am barely comfortable getting my cat her rabies vaccine. I'm now almost 4 months late on it, but am waiting for the $5 rabies clinic rather than pay the $20 to $30 fee for seeing the vet, on top of an office visit.

I'm getting contacted by my cat's vets, with notices that she is overdue for her yearly vaccines, but I'm not going to do it anymore. She had all her kitten shots, then her shots one year later, and that's enough.

She is a 100% indoor cat. She literally is never allowed to go outside. She's also the only pet I have, so unless she's at risk for getting a disease from me or by laying on the couch, she will forgo future shots. And I take off my shoes immediately upon entering my house, so no dirt or stuff from the outside is tracked around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,128 times
My cats are indoor cats and ten years old. I am moving house and they will have to go into a chattery for a couple of days and they won't take them without a vaccine cert. now my cats won't eat and are unwell the day after the vaccine. I feel so sad I was forced to do this to them and to give the vet £160 . It is so unnecessary as they will still be indoor cats where I am going to. Thought that going into a chattery would soften the trauma of moving on the day.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 9,128 times
That should read cattery! That's what the i pad does automatically changes your words!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,159 times
Unhappy My cat Reaction to injections

My neutered female cat, 4 yrs old (we received reminder card for vaccinations), got her rabies and the other shot the one with a list of other diseases repeated to me so fast, and when we got home, she started racing around the house with her tail twitching and licking at the site of the injection. I called the vet and they offered anti inflammatory oral one dose. I went back to the vet and brought it home and administered it to her. She was angry again. She hid everywhere. In the closet, under the bed, in the basement. I felt so bad especially after reading bad reactions here. When I found her in the basement, she reached out and touched my hand. Then she curled up and closed her eyes. She seems ok, but I feel horrible as the reminder card from the vet simply said rabies vac. Then I allowed the dr. To give my cat another shot. I feel so bad for my kitty as she is indoor only. Don't feel she should get any more shots. I will check her in the morning. Thanks for all the posts!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Always get vaccinations separately. And each one should be on a different leg.

Jannsee - I think your cat is probably more pissed than anything. But just keep an eye on her.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Always get vaccinations separately. And each one should be on a different leg.

Jannsee - I think your cat is probably more pissed than anything. But just keep an eye on her.
My vet has gone to the one vaccination at a time protocol, too, especially with the rabies vaccination. They also now give kitties the 1 year version of the rabies rather than the 3 year vaccinations that dogs get.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 PM

62 posts, read 295,074 times
My previous cat, Tally, was given vaccine by the vet, he went into anaphylactic shock. He had to be rushed back to the Vet and kept there for a few days. They almost killed the poor guy. They didn't but he never got another shot. He lived to be 15.
I will never give a cat shots.
I was furious with the Vet because the had the nerve to charge me for causing the anaphylactic shock. I lost faith in Vets that very second.
I am forced to trust them because I have a sick cat, but I really truly don't.
Cats do not need vaccines, they cause more harm than good. My cat Bob is suffering from vaccine reaction to this day.
Herpes.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I here ya bob&willy...no cat shots for my little friends either. My oldest gal (19 or 20 now) got to that age because she never had them....I feel real bad for the kitties that have no choice.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 9,159 times
Well, our little female (spayed I meant to say), continued with a bad reaction to the two shots she received on thurs. November 14. she was not herself Friday and front left leg began to swell. On Saturday Nov. 16th her front left leg was very swollen and pointed outward as she walked. By the time I got her to the vet that day her temp was 104.2. The owner, Dr. D" was very concerned. She didn't know the new dr. at this clinic injected in the front leg! D" said she would have done it differently....there was no charge for this visit. Our kitty received an injection of something similar to Benedryl to reduce fever and the size of her leg. She is doing very well now. I have another kitty and the two of them are strictly indoor. I don't want them to receive any more vacc's. I feel for all of the posts I have read re: your poor pets and the serious reactions! Our pets are special to all of us. Thank you all for your kindness and support! Greatly Appreciated!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
I called the vet and she asked me to bring her in since she was hot and lethargic. She had a temp so they gave her some fluids and a steroid to counteract the reaction. As soon as she got home she had a little food but she is now back to hiding in the closet. I'm keeping a close eye on her and in the future...if she gets shots...I'll separate them. It's strange she'd have a reaction like this after 10 years problem-free. Thanks for your posts!
There is a lot of information online about the over-vaccinating of cats and dogs. If she's an indoor-only cat there is no need for constant booster shots. The only ones who benefit from all these vaccinations are the dug companies and the vets.

Last edited by =^..^=; 11-30-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats