Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 AM

39 posts, read 215,706 times

Advertisements

I plan on grooming my long hair Hymmalian this weekend and i called the vet to ask for some tranquillizers. She gave me 5 pills of something called Ace. She said to give him a half an hr before i plan to do it, and the other half like 15 mins before. She said it's not dangerous and it will make him "drunk".
Has anyone else given their cats this?
He will not let me get near him w/ a scissors to just trim some hair, never mind a clipper. And the grooming places/vet charges too much for what i can afford now.
Also, does anyone have any tips on grooming him?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri0380 View Post
I plan on grooming my long hair Hymmalian this weekend and i called the vet to ask for some tranquillizers. She gave me 5 pills of something called Ace. She said to give him a half an hr before i plan to do it, and the other half like 15 mins before. She said it's not dangerous and it will make him "drunk".
Has anyone else given their cats this?
He will not let me get near him w/ a scissors to just trim some hair, never mind a clipper. And the grooming places/vet charges too much for what i can afford now.
Also, does anyone have any tips on grooming him?
Thank you
I used Ace for both my cat and dog in the past when we had to travel with the pets. My vet recommended I give it to them approx. 1-2 hours before leaving. The reaction does make them appear to be drunk. Mind you, Ace doesn't knock them out, just relaxes them somehwhat.

If your cat is very afraid of the clippers, Ace may not be enough. I used it with my cat when I took her to the groomer once and she was so scared of the clippers, she still got pretty worked up.

If cost is an issue, perhaps you can buy clippers and groom your pets yourself. I learned how to do it but it does require a calm pet.

Have you looked at taking your pet to a groomer that is at a vet's office? In the event a pet gets to worked up, they can administer another tranquilizer and there is a veterinary staff to monitor her reaction. Make sure you find out what they charge for the additional tranq's if they are needed.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I used Ace for both my cat and dog in the past when we had to travel with the pets. My vet recommended I give it to them approx. 1-2 hours before leaving. The reaction does make them appear to be drunk. Mind you, Ace doesn't knock them out, just relaxes them somehwhat.

If your cat is very afraid of the clippers, Ace may not be enough. I used it with my cat when I took her to the groomer once and she was so scared of the clippers, she still got pretty worked up.

If cost is an issue, perhaps you can buy clippers and groom your pets yourself. I learned how to do it but it does require a calm pet.

Have you looked at taking your pet to a groomer that is at a vet's office? In the event a pet gets to worked up, they can administer another tranquilizer and there is a veterinary staff to monitor her reaction. Make sure you find out what they charge for the additional tranq's if they are needed.
The fisrt time i groomed Feurious (my cat) the vet did it and they charged me $100 bc they had to sedate him. @ the momnet i can not afford that (rent and bills are really kicking my butt). The grooming places i've called all said they would charge me $125+. One place actually told me that she has to charge me $200 bc she has to close the shop down bc cats and dogs don't get along .
I do have clippers from someone and that's what i plan on doing this weekend. I just don't want to scare my little man too much.
I know u said your cat doesn't like it, but do u have any technics you can share with me on shaving him? Thank you

Old 10-17-2008, 07:31 AM

See how well the ace works first. He may need a second dose before you start. Give it plenty of time to set in.
If you groom him yourself, make sure the blade on the clippers is new or recently sharpened. Comb or brush out the tangles first, then carefully cut out any matts that you can't work through with the comb.
I always shaved my cat completely so my method may not work for you. Depends on what you want.
I used the smallest guide that came with my clippers and started at her neck. (Make sure you use a guide because you may inadvertantly snip her skin otherwise) Slowly and gently go from neck to behind in one "swoop." Keep repeating the process all the way around. Keep going until you have him trimmed up the way you want. If you can get a second person to help hold the cat and pet them while you do the clipping, that would be good.
Since you are a beginner to this, don't expect "Groomer Quality" results!

By the way...........The first time I "groomed" my cat myself, my hubby came home, looked at the cat and gasped in shock! He say's, "What in the H**L happened to Isabelle?" I said, "I trimmed her some." He spent the rest of the evening laughing at the cat.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
See how well the ace works first. He may need a second dose before you start. Give it plenty of time to set in.
If you groom him yourself, make sure the blade on the clippers is new or recently sharpened. Comb or brush out the tangles first, then carefully cut out any matts that you can't work through with the comb.
I always shaved my cat completely so my method may not work for you. Depends on what you want.
I used the smallest guide that came with my clippers and started at her neck. (Make sure you use a guide because you may inadvertantly snip her skin otherwise) Slowly and gently go from neck to behind in one "swoop." Keep repeating the process all the way around. Keep going until you have him trimmed up the way you want. If you can get a second person to help hold the cat and pet them while you do the clipping, that would be good.
Since you are a beginner to this, don't expect "Groomer Quality" results!

By the way...........The first time I "groomed" my cat myself, my hubby came home, looked at the cat and gasped in shock! He say's, "What in the H**L happened to Isabelle?" I said, "I trimmed her some." He spent the rest of the evening laughing at the cat.

HAHAHA...lol. well, when we fisrt had him groomed, my boyfriend picked him up from the vet, so when he came home i didn't know if i should cry or laugh @ him...the poor baby was COMPLETLY shaved, except his head and neck (like a lion, not sure what you call it) liltte booties and a small patch of fur on the tip of his tail. Poor guy didn't know what to do. I cried a bit and said i wanted my handsome man back...lol. He looked like an old man, the skin on his tummy was saggy.. (i dont know if that's how cats are in general on their tummy). He spend the first few days under the cover bc he was cold, but then we got used to him.

I will have help shaving him. Both my boyfriend and his mom (she has one cat and 3 shaggy dogs, so she knows what she's going) will be helping. If i don't freak out i will be the one petting him and talking to him. That's like my little baby. I'll take a pic of him after and i'll post it...i have pics of him now under the "cat picutres" thread and in my profile if u wanna see

Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Just don't make the poor little guy look like "Edward Scissorhands" had a go at him! LOL

Old 10-18-2008, 04:46 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri0380 View Post
One place actually told me that she has to charge me $200 bc she has to close the shop down bc cats and dogs don't get along .
That is ridiculous... any halfway decent groomer could handle having cats & dogs together in the shop. I have a Persian cat who also HATES being groomed, and I can't go near him with a comb or clippers. My local groomer charges around $80-85, and that is considered steep even for San Francisco (because he's a "difficult case"). So I'd keep checking around - have you called a pet store, like Petco or PetSmart? They usually groom for reasonable prices, and do a good enough job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats