Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry; but I must get this off my chest! I am an animal/cat lover and have a Manx cat. I do not know if this is the forum to post this thread in...so mods. feel free to move it if applicable.

I was inside my house, when I heard 2 dogs barking loudly(close-by) and then that high pitched, yelping scream. I went outside my front door(no shoes) and noticed my loose gravel driveway was strewn about and riddled with "holes"...It looked like a titanic struggle , with 2 dogs, one cat and an owner.

The dogs and owner were initially 25 feet onto my property; but were now just getting back to public roadway. The dogs, about 80 or more pounds each...had the poor cat upside down in both their jaws.

The owner never yelled at the dogs or tried to stop the dogs; but he did have them leashed(we will get back to that). The dogs have now dropped the mortally wounded cat onto my side of the road.

I watched as the cat dragged itself across the road and was dying. I ran inside to get my mobile phone and called the police and was put on hold 3 times.

The cops came but they can do nothing...animal control..same story...cat not on leash; but dogs were...though he had no control over them...... . But what if I had my leashed cat or dog on my property...this man left and he had NO control of his dogs. I could have been me or you or your children. I am sorry for the LONG WINDED RANT...but this has really shaken me up; I never saw an animal mauled ...live.

I think if you have a big dog; than you MUST ONLY walk them one at a time. The man weighed about 150 lbs. and was 5'8" tall. Two 80 lbs. dogs are too strong for any one person...heck I think one big dog is. So what do you think?. PS...this man, assuming we find him...gets a lecture at best according to authorities. I say SHAME ON HIM!!! . Should cities enact such an ordinance?????

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 11-24-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,178 times
Disgusting, but I'm not sure what can be done about it. Sorry Pitt.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,492 times
I'm so sorry you had to see this and why my cat is an indoor cat. I don't give a dam if the dogs were on a leash or not, that poor cat didn't stand a chance and if someone cannot control their dogs, then they should not be allowed to take them out - unless one at a time

Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
That is just horrible. I would not be able to sleep after seeing that. That man is a menace.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
I'm so sorry you had to see this and why my cat is an indoor cat. I don't give a dam if the dogs were on a leash or not, that poor cat didn't stand a chance and if someone cannot control their dogs, then they should not be allowed to take them out - unless one at a time
Thank you...he had no control of the dogs; since they and himself were 25 feet up my drive..."getting" the poor cat. It could have been me just gardening and they would probably go for me too; I would have thrown a rock or something to defend the cat.

And if a child was say playing with her cat or small dog...you know what would have happened...and he did little but pull on their leashes. We are forwarding to our neighborhood association his description..dog info. etc. At least Animal Control will pay him a visit.

But I think something needs to be done..one owner ...one dog...unless they are (say arbritarily) "toy" size...people, their pets and CHILDREN; should not have to live in fear , knowing about this irresponsible "man".I'm going to carry a baseball bat when I garden from now on...sorry way to relax and enjoy gardening.

SORRY..In this rant...the poor owner of the cat...we have seen it before and the same with the dog owner...but only a few times and no name...addresss...but he lives in our neighborhood..we live on a secluded dead end street...PITTS..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
THANKYOU..we have ours indoors...mostly...she is a MANX and we do walk her on a leash..so that scares the hell out of me more; because we would both be mauled.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
That is just horrible. I would not be able to sleep after seeing that. That man is a menace.
I am still shaking and furious at that "man". .

Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Disgusting, but I'm not sure what can be done about it. Sorry Pitt.
THANX..I understand...the cops and Animal control were pretty MAD too...but "hands tied". He should get in trouble for letting a potentially deadly duo of dogs get out of control. Short of that, a warning "strike" for vicious dogs...say 3 strikes and your out...seems reasonable...but IMHO far too lenient!!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Thank you...he had no control of the dogs; since they and himself were 25 feet up my drive..."getting" the poor cat. It could have been me just gardening and they would probably go for me too; I would have thrown a rock or something to defend the cat.

And if a child was say playing with her cat or small dog...you know what would have happened...and he did little but pull on their leashes. We are forwarding to our neighborhood association his description..dog info. etc. At least Animal Control will pay him a visit.

But I think something needs to be done..one owner ...one dog...unless they are (say arbritarily) "toy" size...people, their pets and CHILDREN; should not have to live in fear , knowing about this irresponsible "man".I'm going to carry a baseball bat when I garden from now on...sorry way to relax and enjoy gardening.

SORRY..In this rant...the poor owner of the cat...we have seen it before and the same with the dog owner...but only a few times and no name...addresss...but he lives in our neighborhood..we live on a secluded dead end street...PITTS..
Well I'm pretty, ahem, vocal, and would probably raise all holy hell with the municipality about this. You are NOT ranting - you are like the rest of us on the pet forums; you love animals and things like this just break our hearts believe me you won't be the only one losing sleep about this. I keep my cat inside for just these reasons - saw a hawk carrying one off in it's claws and seems like I cried forever. When I rescued a street cat, I'm on my second one now, I knew they would never go outside so they would be safe. I really am sorry you had to see this - and yeah, keep a baseball bat with you and when you see that dog owner, well . . . I'll just leave it at that. Poor little thing

Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Well I'm pretty, ahem, vocal, and would probably raise all holy hell with the municipality about this. You are NOT ranting - you are like the rest of us on the pet forums; you love animals and things like this just break our hearts believe me you won't be the only one losing sleep about this. I keep my cat inside for just these reasons - saw a hawk carrying one off in it's claws and seems like I cried forever. When I rescued a street cat, I'm on my second one now, I knew they would never go outside so they would be safe. I really am sorry you had to see this - and yeah, keep a baseball bat with you and when you see that dog owner, well . . . I'll just leave it at that. Poor little thing
Thankyou for that WONDERFUL post..I appreciate it...and this is "funny" my partner and I agreed to never go out in the yard without a baseball bat(we have 2) and a homemade...BRASS Shellay for backup..both police and animal control stated we had every right to kill the dogs. This is killing me.....awful...you see it on nature shows; but it ain't "the same". I'm gonna try and start a petition....one big dog per owner while walking...THANX for listening...PITTS. . PS I AM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE HAWK ATTACK....THE WORST PART IS THE GUY NOT DOING ANYTHING AND THEN TAKING OFF>>>>WHAT IS OUR WORLD COMING TO...

AND THANKYOU seaofgrass FOR THE KIND WORDS!!!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 11-24-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats