Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jasper should NEVER outside
agree. Jasper should NEVER go outside. 9 50.00%
disagree. Jasper should be allowed out briefly. 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

We all debate the "outdoor" "indoor" cat frequently...okay, what is the definition?

Jasper is in the house all of the time. I don't let him out when I am at work or at night.

Today, I went out to the car, and Jasper wanted some fresh air, I let him "out". I went back inside, closed the door. Ten minutes later, I hear his distinctive "Meow" at the door, he is done being an "outside" cat.

That is pretty much the extent of his outdoor adventures.

Now, some people would say Jasper should be inside ALL the time. His ten minutes of being outside was irresponsible of me. He could get lost or hurt. (Note: he goes under the same bush, and just hangs there).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
He sounds like an indoor cat to me, but I agree that something may happen to him. He really doesn't sound like an indoor/outdoor cat to me at all.

I put a harnish on my kitty for the first time today to go outside and he really didn't like it at all....

Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM

This has occurred in small stages. My last cat, Beau, was too stupid to ever be allowed outside. He had no clue about directions. He would wander.

Jasper has demonstrated consistently that he goes under his bush, does not leave his "stake out".

He does get annoyed though, when he goes out, and I don't chase him any more. That is the "game", he goes out, and I am "supposed" to run around the yard trying to get him.

So, he comes in after ten minutes now.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
I would go out with him and put him on a leash.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Default "Is Jasper an "outside cat"?

The important thing is that he's your cat. . .

I know you've opened this up for discussion, so I will say I voted that I think he can be an "outside cat" as little or much as you think best.

Folks have very strong personal opinions about this issue and some would seemingly make it a morality issue, which it just isn't. I have confidence that you will do whatever is best for your situation and your creature!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We all debate the "outdoor" "indoor" cat frequently...okay, what is the definition?
To me the definition is a cat that comes and goes pretty much at will. Either through a cat door or someone opens it for him. And he or she is free to wander anywhere they choose (no cat-proof fence).

Quote:
Now, some people would say Jasper should be inside ALL the time. His ten minutes of being outside was irresponsible of me. He could get lost or hurt. (Note: he goes under the same bush, and just hangs there).

What do you think?
I would say in time he will tend to wander as he gets more comfortable with the area around your house. At the moment, if he's out there alone, he's an indoor-outdoor cat.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
My cats are always indoor cats, but they -like- being outside, so I let them. I go with them, and supervise. My current cat and I enjoy gardening together. She prunes the catnip plants while I weed the oregano patch. Then she rolls around in the dirt for awhile, which puts her scent on the stones, and keeps the rabbits away from my herbs. Sometimes she barks at garden snakes, which is always entertaining.

The upshot of this is - if you can go out and be WITH your cat, there's no reason why your cat shouldn't ever be allowed past the doorway.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Yes. I agree. He may get more adventurous. Which is why I monitor him.

So, for now, it will stay at ten minutes or less. And with supervision. I worry more about other cats. Jasper is declawed. He would be defenseless against any creatures. He is also very pampered.

It seems okay for now.

He is an indoor cat. I could never just let a cat wander, like all day outside if I was at work. I would worry all day.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Nimbus used to act like he wanted to go outside until the one time I took him out on his harness. I let him wear the harness (no leash) in the house until he got comfortable in it and quit spazzing out. Then I clipped on the leash and out we went. It scared the bajeezus outta him and he wanted to hide. Also it was cold. We were out less than five minutes and it was obvious we needed to go back in.

After that, when I try to come back in the sliding glass door from smoking out on the back deck/porch thing...I tap the glass and he politely backs up about a foot and sits there while I come in. He likes to watch Cat TV but doesn't really want in on the action.

I keep thinking I should expand his world by trying again with the leash when it's warmer, and/or building an enclosure for him...but honestly it's more me wanting to spoil the cat, than any real need I think he actually has. He's happy in his house.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
One of the things I worried about when taking over Fiona's care was that she might bolt out the door when I opened it. Remember, she's front declawed (her previous person did that horrible thing to her. . .) and so I was anxious concerning this.

But my fears were ungrounded; she runs away from that opening door, even when it's just I who am returning. I'm so relieved about this and it's also good because I don't have to worry when guests come, or deliveries, etc. If she' curious enough, after the door is closed, she shows up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats