Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

Newman's Own Organics Premium Pet Food

Newmans Own has a new line, Second Generation, and it's really clean, there appears to be no grain, starches, carrageenan (which is used to induce stomach irritation in lab animal, linked to cancer, and Crohn's disease in humans) the only thing I'm still looking at is which vitamin K supplement is used, still, it doesn't have menadione sodium bisulfite (yeah!)

There are 3 choices, it appears it is only in a 3 oz. size (for now?). I found it at Walmart, but here is their store locator page:Newman's Own Organics Premium Pet Food

The small cans are expensive, even my parameters, but they state you need to feed much less since it is nutrient dense.

It didn't smell bad, or strong, like cat food generally does, I had to stick my nose right near it to really smell it ... I don't recommend that though, it does smell like cat food if your nose is an inch away from it.

Without the binders and fillers it has the consistency of a soft stool, but there are no fake meat looking bits for humans.

Cat Canned Beef Formulas

INGREDIENTS:

Beef:

Organic Beef, Organic Beef Broth, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Carbonate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Iodate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin A, E, E, D3, B12 and K Supplements, Choline, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Pyridoxine, Folic Acid, Biotin).

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein..................12.0% (min)
Crude Fat.........................4.5% (min)
Crude Fiber......................1.0% (max)
Moisture.........................82.0% (max)
Ash.................................1.0% (max)
Magnesium.....................0.02% (max)
Taurine..........................0.07% (min)

CALORIC VALUE:

As fed (Kcal/3oz can)...........156

The FAQ is (unintentionally) a hoot, as well as informative, here's a sample Q&A:
Are the animals [cattle,beef] well cared for?
Yes. The animals are treated extremely well and, according to an animal behaviorist at Colorado State University, exhibit very low stress levels. They even have their feet washed and are bathed regularly.

I liked this aspect of their product development -
Is there any animal testing involved?
No. The only analytical testing done is in a laboratory where animals are NOT allowed. We do "taste testing" with animals awaiting adoption in a local humane society shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
For my kitties, there's only one question that really counts: is it pate style? If so, I'll give it a try.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM

I would say it looks pate style in the can, However, it is not a solid block when you dig into it.

It's looser, but not gravy, looks like a soft stool ... sorry, but it does!

They recommend adding some warm water to it before serving, there are other items in the FAQ that were new to me, I recommend reading it.
Newman's Own Organics Premium Pet Food

The section on the Organic Beef Formulas, the Ingredients section discusses their other (first) line of pet foods.

Last edited by leanansidhex; 03-09-2012 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Hmmm. Maybe it would be close enough to pate for the fussy brats. Probably not, but I'll give it a try. I'd love to get them off that Fancy Feast! They've never been willing to eat anything else, but occasionally take a nibble if it's pate. Any other style, they look at with complete disdain and walk away.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm having the same Fancy Feast dilemma.

I had to "wait them out" on the Newmans by putting out just a very little bit, (they didn't initially eat it, Freddie cried and sat near the Fancy Feast box for awhile before getting bored and taking a nap) and then rescuing the Newmans before it spoiled, then when they asked for food again, I put out the Newmans again.

They finally ate it whole-heartedly, and for the first time, in a long time, I wasn't praying that I wasn't hurting them somehow, now or down the road.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Interesting. I didn't think they were required to list menadione sodium bisulfite even if that was the source of vitamin K. But their FAQ says they don't use it, yet they list vitamin K supplement. I had just pretty much assumed when I saw vitamin K it was menadione sodium bisulfite, but it sounds like maybe some of the cans I've bought could be using something else.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Interesting. I didn't think they were required to list menadione sodium bisulfite even if that was the source of vitamin K. But their FAQ says they don't use it, yet they list vitamin K supplement. I had just pretty much assumed when I saw vitamin K it was menadione sodium bisulfite, but it sounds like maybe some of the cans I've bought could be using something else.
I know, like I said I need to find out what they do use as vitamin K, I'll see if there is an e-mail address for questions and do that now.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 PM

O.K. I just e-mailed them re: vitamin K ~ larger sizes ~ sourcing from China ~ you know the drill. lol

I'm going out for a while but will post with their response, but feel free to e-mail them as well, since they seem to have a conscience, it might actually be beneficial for them to know what you care about when it comes to your pets food.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
If you've read any of that stuff on Truth About Pet Food you'll know that sometimes you have to pester them a few times to get the whole truth so to speak (or you still might not get it). That may not be true with Newman's but if you get a blanket USA-sourced answer on the first try I would be suspicious. Almost all taurine supplement comes from China, for example. This is very difficult to avoid unless you feed raw (with organ meat I believe) or Nature's Logic.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 PM

I get the e-mails from TruthAboutPetFoods.com although I don't always read them ASAP unless the title seems urgent.

Here is the e-mail I sent Newmans Own, their reply, and my response.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 1:25 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Newman's Own Organics - 'Talk To Us'

This was sent from the 'Talk To Us' page of the Newman's Own Organics
website.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What IS the source of vitamin K in your Second Generation line of canned
cat/dog food, if it isn\'t menadione sodium bisulfite.
Also why did you choose it as the vitamin K supplement.

I\'m assuming the taurine is sourced from China as it is difficult to find
another supplier, is that so, and are the rest of the bulk/raw vitamins also
SOURCED from China even if they have an American source for the actual
mix/premix used in your Second Generation line?

When I spoke to the owner of Stella&Chewys she said they had located a
European source of taurine, not originating from China.
Unfortunately their \"raw\" (expensive) freeze-dried products are
pasteurized (so how does that = raw).
Are you planning to roll out a larger size 5.5 0z. and if so, when?

Thank You for your time and effort on our pets behalf, my forum groups are
very interested in your line of pet foods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Their reply:
FW: Newman's Own Organics - 'Talk To Us'
Dr Phil Brown
TO:
CC:
'Peggy Westenhofer'

Message flagged Friday, March 9, 2012 8:40 PM
Leannan,

We do not use menadione in our foods. It was listed at one time as an
ingredients on our labels in error.

L. Phillips Brown DVM
Corporate Veterinarian
Newman's Own Organics

email: philbrowndvm@cableone.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My response:

Thank you for your reply
TO:
philbrowndvm@cableone.net
Message flagged Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:03 PM
What IS the source of vitamin K, I don't see a food source listed on the label. If you would re-read my original e-mail and answer the questions that were asked that would be appreciated. Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats