Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM

35,309 posts, read 17,201,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
During the lifetime of the last generation (those dying in their 90s today), Canada was closely connected to European countries. Ukrainian jokes were the thing in Alberta until the early 1970s. Ukranian was replaced with another ethnic group until it became politically incorrect to recognize cultural similarities - it was labeled (e.g.: racism).*************There's a joke about the Germans, Italians and French ... today is it racist, derogatory, or stereotyping to put words to a statement about cultural group similarities?
It sounds like you are drinking the Kool-Aid served up by the Human Rights Commissions of the kind that electronically lynched Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn. To my mind groups and people that are successful and happy don't seek victim status, and endlessly whine about slights. The Jews have suffered slavery, and then deadly persecution. Are we hiding behind the nanny state? When a synagogue or graveyard is desecrated with swastikas, we are at the police department, not some HRC.

Quote:
Many Germans and Dutch immigrated to Canada after WW2 due to fear of Russian communism and German nationalism. That's why some Canadians pay more attention to countries other than the USA first - history. That doesn't mean that Canadians take their eye off the ball. China, Russia, USA - always in turmoil threatening Australia, Ukraine, EU & Canada.

It's nothing unusual for the USA to yell hey, you know all about me because I'm so important, but I know nothing about you. If I pay attention to you, you should feel honoured. The USA is always yelling about something selfish.
The USA is a country with political upheaval, social unrest, admitted deception, economic aggression and big bombs. What else should people from other countries know about the USA? Canada is not like the USA and does not want to be like the USA aside from a small gang of mentally ill people in Manitoba.

Canadians only know what the rest of the world knows about the USA, which is different from what people in the USA know since USA news is fake - according to the outgoing president.
Yuo mentioned immigration. I'm so glad you did. The U.S. has over the last two centuries attracted far more immigrants that stayed than Canada, though I must share a personal story which makes me grateful towards Canada. In 1895 or 1896 Jacob Osavsky (sp) was a successful shoemaker (i.e. shoe repair man) in the Czar's army in modern Ukraine, now Russia. The Russians liked his work so much that his conscription was "renewed" for another five years. He and Lena Osavsky hit the ground, I mean deck, running, and boarded a ship. I always assumed it was to the U.S. until my 91 year uncle discovered a photo in a photo album that my late mother kept a photo developer's stamp--from Montreal. In other words, Canada gave him refuge and taught him English. Shortly thereafter, Jacob and Lena moved to Yonkers, New York (just north of NYC, at the end of the trolley from NYC, because the "country air" was better for his asthma. Jacob and Lena were two of my great-grandparents; if not for Canada I would not be here. But I digress.

The U.S. has been a great magnet for immigration from the sewers of the Old World. We are really not such a bad country.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
To answer your implicit question, I only google when I want information I don't know offhand.

If you ask me or most Americans who Canada's first PM's were they would know it was Macdonald followed by Mackenzie followed by Macdonald. I didn't know that until I recently read Pierre Berton's The Impossible Railway. I venture to guess that most Americans know that from childhood, as well as American Presidents and Canadian Prime Ministers in order. I first learned about Pierre Trudeau when I read Trudeau; Son of Quebec, Father of Canada. I first learned about Brian Mulroney by reading On the Take.
That was hilarious. I can't believe that people are dumb enough to think southern Alberta has igloos.
You are mistaken. If someone asked me about the first Prime Minister of Canada, I might say Laurier. It sounds like remembering the names of former presidents is something that is taught in school in the USA. Remembering Prime Minister names is not taught in Canadian schools.

The USA is just another foreign country when it comes to Canadians - one that is not appealing today.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss snow forts in Alberta.
As for memorizing the names of Presidents and Prime Ministers, it was nothing that was drilled into me at school. Despite what you consider to be my stupidity, I am a major history buff. The people in charge are some part of the historical process. As far as the U.S. "being "not appealing" I caution you that a large percentage of the world would give their eyeteeth to come here. I can tell you that my first Hebrew school teacher, one my childrens' former doctors, and several prestigious lawyers with whom I practice are Canadian ex-patriot, as well as per-eminent rabbinical leader Lawrence Hoffman and the late, great economist John Kenneth Galbraith. That being said, Canada does not have a large brain drain to the U.S.

The U.S. and Canada, as I have posted previously owe their greatness in substantial part due to their peace with each other. Please skip the vitriol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 07:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,149,445 times
Does the American flag on that map have 48 or 50 stars?

Old 11-21-2020, 07:27 PM

7,316 posts, read 9,363,913 times
Quote:
It sounds like you are drinking the Kool-Aid served up by the Human Rights Commissions of the kind that electronically lynched Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn.
I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question on Lieneke's part.

Quote:
During the lifetime of the last generation (those dying in their 90s today), Canada was closely connected to European countries. Ukrainian jokes were the thing in Alberta until the early 1970s. Ukranian was replaced with another ethnic group until it became politically incorrect to recognize cultural similarities - it was labeled (e.g.: racism).
The interesting thing about your Ukrainian comment is that I'm of the generation where we all called each other names, French, Mennonites, Ukrainians and it was never seen as racism or even meant as racism. Sometimes I wonder if I imagined that and then I remember Hunky Bill. Then I wasn't sure I remembered what I thought I remembered about Hunky Bill, native son of Manitoba, and so I Googled him https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5246712

Old 11-22-2020, 12:31 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,129,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It has 50 but it's supposed to be 48 for that time period.

Alaska and Hawaii didn't become states until 1959.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,309,970 times
Quote:
And please educate me as to the error. Is it the Mapleleaf flag which didn't come into play until either 1963 or 1964 (again my appalling ignorance about Canada) as opposed to the ensign?
Correct. And as was pointed out, the US flag should have only 48 stars.

The Red Ensign is relevant in another way here at the time of WWII - Canada was still a Dominion of the United Kingdom with extremely strong ties (Canada really only gained its full independence in 1931). British subjects resident in Canada could vote in Canadian elections until 1984.

Look at this document - it asks the king for permission to declare war.

So while Canada acquitted itself admirably in WWII, I think its entry (only a week after the UK declared war) was a forgone conclusion.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 17,201,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My reading glass prescription is not powerful enough for me to count.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
My reading glass prescription is not powerful enough for me to count.
You can tell by the alignment

Old 11-22-2020, 10:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,129,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

The Red Ensign is relevant in another way here at the time of WWII - Canada was still a Dominion of the United Kingdom with extremely strong ties (Canada really only gained its full independence in 1931). British subjects resident in Canada could vote in Canadian elections until 1984.

So while Canada acquitted itself admirably in WWII, I think its entry (only a week after the UK declared war) was a forgone conclusion.
Okie dokie then. So everything is settled now, right?

Old 11-22-2020, 01:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,619,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

That was a formality, since the very letter you posted stated that a declaration of war in Canada had already been declared and he is asking for an official proclamation. It's not asking permission to declare war, since that had already been done. If that official proclamation wasn't granted, pretty sure the declaration of war against Germany would haves stood up, but perhaps Chevy can elaborate.

As for it being a forgone conclusion, yes I agree. At that time the UK/Canada connection via the commonwealth was much stronger.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That was a formality, since the very letter you posted stated that a declaration of war in Canada had already been declared and he is asking for an official proclamation. It's not asking permission to declare war, since that had already been done. If that official proclamation wasn't granted, pretty sure the declaration of war against Germany would haves stood up, but perhaps Chevy can elaborate.

As for it being a forgone conclusion, yes I agree. At that time the UK/Canada connection via the commonwealth was much stronger.
I think it was somewhere between a formality and truly asking permission. But I too am interested if it would have stood up had George VI not formally assented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada