Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 10:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times

Advertisements

^That must be it..or maybe hes talking about this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1ePMXCMAE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 11:11 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Do you know any Jersey Shore types?
Lol, no.

Those "types", if they are real, are from NYC, like most of the cast of the show.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
^That must be it..or maybe hes talking about this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1ePMXCMAE
That looks like fun.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:08 AM

35,137 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do tell me about the Saskatchewan and Alberta shore communities.
WTF?
You are ignoring a rich oceanic culture of those provinces' shore beaches. Rick Mercer detailed the seal-hunting escapades that marred that heritage.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Lean on Me was set nowhere near the Jersey Shore. It was set, if I remember correctly, in inland Paterson. Do tell me about the Saskatchewan and Alberta shore communities.
Isn’t the shoreline where you can get genuine Saskatchewan seal skin bindings?

Old 12-11-2020, 08:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
When I think of New Jersey I think of the movie "Lean on me".
My superficial images of New Jersey are dual.

On the one hand you have the blue collar forsaken urban industrial angst of Bruce Springsteen.

On the other you have the beach towns with boardwalks, midways, 1960s style motels of the Ocean City-Wildwood-Cape May area.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:55 AM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My superficial images of New Jersey are dual.

On the one hand you have the blue collar forsaken urban industrial angst of Bruce Springsteen.

On the other you have the beach towns with boardwalks, midways, 1960s style motels of the Ocean City-Wildwood-Cape May area.
Hmm. I never thought of Bruce that way. He was the shore/beach guy. Now he lives on a huge six-million-dollar horse farm. He was never urban, but some of his music might have given a nod to that world.

But the bigger reality of New Jersey is seemingly endless suburbia, particularly in the northern half of the state. Most of north Jersey is leafy suburbs with manicured yards. The northwest corner is rural and wooded. The western reaches toward Pennsylvania, as well as much of the southern part of the state is farmland. The part along the Hudson, "across the creek" from Manhattan, is the industrialized, urban area of the state. It's a relatively small part of New Jersey, but I think it's what gets shown the most in movies and TV shows, and people who drive up the NJ Turnpike past the oil refineries and see the industrial areas and the seaports appear to assume that most of the state looks like that.

It is true that our cities are rundown and in sad shape. Cities like Paterson, where Lean On Me takes place, were once thriving industrial centers and are now suffering from poverty, drugs, and crime. NJ really is a microcosm of America, with ocean and mountains, cities and farmland and everything in between, and extreme poverty dwelling not far from extreme wealth. The bulk of New Jersey, however, is still middle class to upper middle class suburbia.

However, it's movies and TV presenting the image that the industrial areas largely represent NJ, the same way some people believe that we pronounce the name of our state as "Joisey". We say our Rs, kids. I've lived in NJ for 62 years and never met one single person who says "Joisey". If you come to NJ and say that to a resident, they will immediately dismiss you as being anything other than an idiot. Heck, if you come to the City-Data Jersey forum and TYPE that, you will be run off the board.

About a quarter million of NJ residents commute to NYC next door for work, as I did for forty years, but that's changed drastically this year, of course, with WFH taking over.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-11-2020 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. I never thought of Bruce that way. He was the shore/beach guy. Now he lives on a huge six-million-dollar horse farm. He was never urban, but some of his music might have given a nod to that world.
Yeah, I was thinking more of his music than the guy. Stuff from his early years like Born to Run, Thunder Road, Jungleland...

To me he sounded like the bard of people to whom America always promised a great life, but ended up getting a raw deal.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

But the bigger reality of New Jersey is seemingly endless suburbia, particularly in the northern half of the state. Most of north Jersey is leafy suburbs with manicured yards. The northwest corner is rural and wooded. The western reaches toward Pennsylvania, as well as much of the southern part of the state is farmland. The part along the Hudson, "across the creek" from Manhattan, is the industrialized, urban area of the state. It's a relatively small part of New Jersey, but I think it's what gets shown the most in movies and TV shows, and people who drive up the NJ Turnpike past the oil refineries and see the industrial areas and the seaports appear to assume that most of the state looks like that.

It is true that our cities are rundown and in sad shape. Cities like Paterson, where Lean On Me takes place, were once thriving industrial centers and are now suffering from poverty, drugs, and crime. NJ really is a microcosm of America, with ocean and mountains, cities and farmland and everything in between, and extreme poverty dwelling not far from extreme wealth. The bulk of New Jersey, however, is still middle class to upper middle class suburbia.

However, it's movies and TV presenting the image that the industrial areas largely represent NJ, the same way some people believe that we pronounce the name of our state as "Joisey". We say our Rs, kids. I've lived in NJ for 62 years and never met one single person who says "Joisey". If you come to NJ and say that to a resident, they will immediately dismiss you as being anything other than an idiot. Heck, if you come to the City-Data Jersey forum and TYPE that, you will be run off the board.

About a quarter million of NJ residents commute to NYC next door for work, as I did for forty years, but that's changed drastically this year, of course, with WFH taking over.
Reminds me of friends that lived in St Louis, Missouri, complaining how some people pronounced their city.

For us Canadians, it's people chirping aboooot, and plastering " eh's " all over the place when they try and imitate us.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Reminds me of friends that lived in St Louis, Missouri, complaining how some people pronounced their city.
I assume it's "lewis" and not "louis"?

They also say "mizzooruh" don't they? I say "mizzouree".

Kinda like "uh-hayuh" for Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada