Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
ETA: it's good to see you maclock. Hopefully you've been well.
I can't complain, netwit. Keepin' 'er between the ditches. You know how it goes.

I hope that all is well with you and yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 08:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
True. What was the point of a hockey game if you couldn't call the opposing team the swear words in another language that they themselves had taught you at a Manitoba social?

I think, though, that almost everyone recognized when something was meant in a funny way and when it was meant in a malicious way. And when it had gone too far, the way someone might tickle you and for the first seconds it's funny, and after that it's intended to make you cry.

And I think when teasing was done among equals there was also a difference between that and 3 people picking on another one.
Exactly so. It was also common during the formative years for parents to step in and admonish the teasers, more often than not their own progeny.

I think today it might be more difficult due to the distancing of family units caused by lifestyle demands. Yesterday's parents had more contact and control over their children for a variety of reasons. Father maybe worked with any number of other fathers from the same community so he would get "reports". Mother perhaps attended rather routine parent teacher meetings. Neighbours actually spoke to each other and socialized together.

The kids just spent far more time interacting with each other outside of school with any number of recreational activities other than sitting at another table at the fast food court in a mall and texting each other from 8 feet away.

Not to mention the old issue of malicious gossip coming back to bite your butt and maybe resulting in an embarrassing "calling-out" of the perp in front of his entire peer group which with today's anonymous internet capabilities, that just does not happen with any frequency to be of a "teaching/learning" aspect.

Your formative years decades ago were rife with learning the damage that could be done by the spoken word, today; not so much. There is just no way to actually get a clue of the intent by the sender from looking at an I-phone screen.

Signs of the times.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:21 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
I would put forward that the general view in Canada is that some Americans know very little about anything going on outside their own borders, so it shouldn't shock us to learn that we're no exception.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:40 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I would put forward that the general view in Canada is that some Americans know very little about anything going on outside their own borders, so it shouldn't shock us to learn that we're no exception.
Some Americans know very little about anything going on outside their own state lines or general region.

I come from New Jersey. I learned long ago that the image most people have of my home state comes from TV shows and movies.

That may be the answer right there, come to think of it. There aren't all that many TV shows and movies about Canada on US television. Schitt's Creek may have broken that barrier a bit.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:17 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some Americans know very little about anything going on outside their own state lines or general region.

I come from New Jersey. I learned long ago that the image most people have of my home state comes from TV shows and movies.

That may be the answer right there, come to think of it. There aren't all that many TV shows and movies about Canada on US television. Schitt's Creek may have broken that barrier a bit.
Do you know any Jersey Shore types?

Old 12-10-2020, 06:13 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
When I think of New Jersey I think of the movie "Lean on me".

Old 12-10-2020, 06:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Media, especially entertainment, is probably the biggest factor in building stereotypes. We are all victims!!

When ever I meet someone excited about visiting Paris for the first time, I always tell them, that it's not the Paris of the movies or TV. Yes it's lovely, but it's still a big dirty city in the 21st century. You can find the Paris you want to a degree...if you plan accordingly. I admit though that my first visit to Paris was kind of magical, way back in the 1980's. Must have loved it, since I've been back a few times.

When I think of New Jersey, I think of the hey days in the late 19th century and early 20th, of boardwalks and huge hotels by the beach. Only because I love looking at old photography.

I did get to the airport in Newark once. Wasn't the same. LOL

Old 12-10-2020, 07:17 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
When I think of New Jersey I think of the movie "Lean on me".
Lean on Me was set nowhere near the Jersey Shore. It was set, if I remember correctly, in inland Paterson. Do tell me about the Saskatchewan and Alberta shore communities.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Lean on Me was set nowhere near the Jersey Shore. It was set, if I remember correctly, in inland Paterson.
Where did I say it took place near Jersey Shore? I am aware it took place in Paterson. I have met people from Paterson that actually went to the East side high where the movie took place.

Quote:
Do tell me about the Saskatchewan and Alberta shore communities.
WTF?

Old 12-10-2020, 09:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I think he wants to know about Lake Louise and Fort Chipewyan in Alberta, and Uranium City, Eldorado, Camsell Portage, Fond-du-Lac and Stony Rapids in Saskatchewan.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada