Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 01:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A couple of them formed such a brief footnote in our history such as Clark and Campbell, that I would opine they'd be mentioned only briefly in any political science classes.
I thought John Napier Turner was actually the most significant PM, as was Bowell and Tupper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 01:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Canada is not less significant. It's in the G7, NATO, UN, Commonwealth of Nations,and member of the Five Eyes and has it's own space program working in tandem with NASA missions, among other things.

I travelled in USA in a camper for nearly 2 years on the road on the west coast and mid-west.
i have visited the east coast and the South a couple of times. My relatives live in those areas.

How did you get here? Dog sled? I told people I was from Alberta, Canada and was asked "What state is that?" "Do you really live in igloos?" One person wanted to know if we drink cow's milk.
Another asked me if I knew their friend Bob, "he lives up there". "Why would anyone want to go to Canada when they live in the greatest country in the world."

What does bother me is America still thinks they win all the wars. Allies were already engaged for 2 years in WW2 before America entered it.
I don’t disagree with most of what you said, but your first statement is way off. Canada is far less significant than the US in practically everything. Some of the organisations you mentioned like NATO and The Five Eyes were created by the US, others like the UN are universal. It’s worth pointing out that the US is part of the UN Security Council, which gives it far more power than what Canada has. While the CSA has certainly contributed its fair share to space development, it would be ridiculous to claim that’s it’s on a level footing with NASA. Now, most of us will agree that it offers a better life to the average person, but regarding its global presence, despite being respected and part of many alliances, it’s practically a ghost. That actually works in the country’s favour, as it also avoids most of the heat that the US gets.

P.S. The reason Americans believe that they won WW2 is because it’s partially true. Sure, there’s a certain level of propaganda attributed to its involvement on the European front (minimizing the contributions done by other allies), but the war didn’t officially end until Japan’s surrender, which came as a result of the US’s actions.

Last edited by Milky Way Resident; 11-18-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 01:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I know! Mea culpa. I'm so bad. You're so right and I feel terrible about rising to bad bait. I should practise what I preach.

I know what! Maybe I should go back to being a Pollyanna again instead.

Oh no, don't do that! The spunky you is far more interesting and entertaining.

Besides, it was pretty tempting bait.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don’t disagree with most of what you said, but your first statement is way off. Canada is far less significant than the US in practically everything. Now most of us will agree that it offers a better life to the average person, but regarding its global presence, despite being respected and part of many alliances, it’s practically a ghost. That actually works in the country’s favour, as it also avoids most of the heat that the US gets.
Here we disagree. Canada's status as an ally, occupying much of the U.S.'s borders, is highly significant to the U.S.'s development as a prosperous world power. Britain and Spain spent lengthy periods of time trying to destroy the other. France and Germany's enmity, with the collateral involvement of Italy, the Balkan states, Russia and I believe others over centuries contributed to the conflagrations that were eventually named the Great War. Other festivities such as the Napoleonic Wars, the Franco-Prussian War and the Crimean War preceded these. After the War of 1812 Canada (as successor to Great Britain) and the U.S. concentrated on developing their lands rather than killing each other. Canada and the U.S. benefited from the "brain drain" from people tiring of the wasted time, life and resources consumed in the Euro-carnage. Canada's imprint on world history and development was thus extremely significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
P.S. The reason Americans believe that they won WW2 is because it’s partially true. Sure, there’s a certain level of propaganda attributed to its involvement on the European front (minimizing the contributions done by other allies), but the war didn’t officially end until Japan’s surrender, which came as a result of the US’s actions.
I think the U.S.S.R's contribution, while not insignificant, was overstated. They helped themselves to U.S. resources in the Lend-Lease program, and certainly did not assist with the post-war reconstruction efforts and attempts to create a peaceful world outcome.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:49 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,659 times
Sometimes the US lack of knowledge about Canada is a bit annoying and somewhat insulting but the sad reality is that Americans know more about Canada than they do about nearly any other country.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,648 times
Default Being Canadian

While we're on this topic, has anyone seen the fun documentary, "Being Canadian", by Canadian comedic writer Rob Cohen? I recently saw it on Amazon Prime (I think), and it's both humorous and educational, and I'd recommend this as essential viewing for the average (ignorant) American. Among other things, it takes a light-hearted look at how Canadians view America and Americans, and visa versa. I had no idea Canadians felt this way! I also learned a lot about Canadian culture and its provinces. I especially enjoyed the part about the Mounties. Those guys are so HOT! Check it out if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0t...nnel=eOneFilms

Last edited by BijouBaby; 11-18-2020 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 02:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
While we're on this topic, has anyone seen the fun documentary, "Being Canadian", by Canadian comedic writer Rob Cohen? I recently saw it on Amazon Prime (I think), and it's both humorous and educational, and I'd recommend this as essential viewing for the average (ignorant) American. Among other things, it takes a light-hearted look at how Canadians view America and Americans, and visa versa. I had no idea Canadians felt this way! I also learned a lot about Canadian culture and its provinces. I especially enjoyed the part about the Mounties. Those guys are so HOT! Check it out if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0t...nnel=eOneFilms
That was on TV on the PBS channel earlier this week. It's a one hour show. It was a hoot. Yes, the Mounties are hot!

Old 11-18-2020, 03:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Hard to believe, but true. I had people asking me the exact same question about southern British Columbia the first time I visited California in 1965. I was also informed that Canadians don't drink milk or eat beef because Canada doesn't have dairy cows or beef cattle. I've been asked about that on other occassions since then too.

Agree.

It's preposterous to say that most Americans know a lot about Canada. Every Canadian who has travelled knows that the knowledge of Canada can be severely lacking around the world. Some of my funniest stories came from Europeans.

I've often said, that I really don't care if someone can name a province or a PM. I do care when someone insults me by their ignorance. ( Ha, just read that I said this exact thing in this thread earlier on...so ya often ) LOL

You see it here on CD all the time. Canada isn't free, Canada doesn't have free speech, healthcare is awful that you have to travel to the US for care and on and on.

Mostly the ignorance is just funny, in a sad kind of way. Not the ones that are inquisitive and ask honest questions...no matter how silly, but the ones that tell me about my own country and argue when I set them straight.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-18-2020 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-18-2020, 03:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
That was on TV on the PBS channel earlier this week. It's a one hour show. It was a hoot. Yes, the Mounties are hot!

Ha, ha. That looks hilarious. I'm going to see if I can find it to watch.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ha, ha. That looks hilarious. I'm going to see if I can find it to watch.
Looks like you can find it here, Nat:

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/films/being...5a-01257dcfd94
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada