Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,630,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm sorry that I am not giving in to the panic mentality. Especially when scientists who take a different position are bullied.

I keep pointing out the obvious; that there have been other, warmer periods and colder periods that have come on suddenly and abruptly. And while we're at it no on e has supplied me with an example of a single First World city with continual records going back at least a century where there have been any consistent warming, aside from where reporting stations have moved. Or are not in the middle of an urban heat island?
Ask people who live in areas of forest and brush fires. The season starts earlier and lasts longer.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0728100043.htm

Ask people who live in the north of Canada who have never seen ice melting at a faster rate, and where ice has never melted before.

100 years is nothing in the scheme of things, and yes the earth has warmed and cooled in the past BUT not at the rate it is now. How do we know..well one way is

"We know about past climates because of evidence left in tree rings, layers of ice in glaciers, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. For example, bubbles of air in glacial ice trap tiny samples of Earth’s atmosphere, giving scientists a history of greenhouse gases that stretches back more than 800,000 years..."

"Models predict that Earth will warm between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius in the next century. When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual."

Global Warming : Feature Articles

They know, and they have a pretty good idea as to why the rapid change recently. What has changed on planet earth in the last 120 years?

Someone said you are a lawyer. Where is your critical thinking on this? Do you believe , as has been mentioned, that there is some huge worldwide conspiracy out there? Or, do you have no faith in the majority of scientists?
You somehow know better than them?

I'd hate to be your doctor.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-09-2016 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 10:55 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,655,056 times
does it bother Canadians that Americans basically know nothing about them?

Does it bother who?

Old 11-16-2020, 11:09 PM

909 posts, read 1,157,878 times
Canada is superior to the US anyway. So they really don't need to know anything about us nor do we want them to lol. Leaving them be as they are works best. And it makes Canada look a lot more desirable at the same time.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:39 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,519,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
does it bother Canadians that Americans basically know nothing about them?

Does it bother who?
Why bring back an old thread to say absolutely nothing.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:36 PM

35,324 posts, read 17,230,887 times
It bothers this American that Canadians think most Americans know nothing about them. True, there is a gap in my knowledge of the order of Canadian PM's from Macdonald to Laurier, roughly 1891 to 1896 or 1897. I don't know most of the Canadian GG's except Byng, Vanier, and a few more recent ones. But why do Canadians assume we know nothing?

Old 11-17-2020, 02:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,144,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Why bring back an old thread to say absolutely nothing.
I've noticed that kind of thing (necro-posting) happens a lot. Really a lot. Necro-posters do it when they're bored stiff and have nothing worthwhile to say to anyone but they want to get some attention. So they go looking for long dead ponds that they can go trolling in and muddy up the waters. It's an attempt to raise a gaseous stink and attract bottom feeders to come stir up the mud and fling a bit more of it around. It works too, and gives the necro-posters something to smirk about. LOL.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,144,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It bothers this American that Canadians think most Americans know nothing about them. True, there is a gap in my knowledge of the order of Canadian PM's from Macdonald to Laurier, roughly 1891 to 1896 or 1897. I don't know most of the Canadian GG's except Byng, Vanier, and a few more recent ones. But why do Canadians assume we know nothing?
I don't understand why you would make the above post. This thread was posted 5 years ago and it has more than 400 posts. Then it ran out of steam and it died. The answers to your question are already there within those 400 posts and they have nothing to do with what other people may or may not know about the order of PM's and GG's. So why wouldn't you just read through the thread instead of trying to start the whole thread over from the beginning again and consequently feed into the necro-poster's objectives? It doesn't make sense to not read it first.

PS - if you look at post # 209 you'll see it's one of your own, so you've clearly participated in this thread when it was active and must be familiar with it already. You even mention your knowledge of PM's there too.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-17-2020 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-17-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
PS - if you look at post # 209 you'll see it's one of your own, so you've clearly participated in this thread when it was active and must be familiar with it already. You even mention your knowledge of PM's there too.
You are out of your mind if you think I am going to remember today what I wrote on January 9, 2016. Tell me, what was the weather in Whitehorse that day?

Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 PM

1,551 posts, read 1,207,770 times
Quote:
I've noticed that kind of thing (necro-posting) happens a lot. Really a lot. Necro-posters do it when they're bored stiff and have nothing worthwhile to say to anyone but they want to get some attention. So they go looking for long dead ponds that they can go trolling in and muddy up the waters. It's an attempt to raise a gaseous stink and attract bottom feeders to come stir up the mud and fling a bit more of it around. It works too, and gives the necro-posters something to smirk about. LOL.

Well, (s)he got YOUR attention, so I guess it's working. You shouldn't rise to the bait, or gaseous stink, as it were...

Old 11-17-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Quote:
I've noticed that kind of thing (necro-posting) happens a lot. Really a lot. Necro-posters do it when they're bored stiff and have nothing worthwhile to say to anyone but they want to get some attention. So they go looking for long dead ponds that they can go trolling in and muddy up the waters. It's an attempt to raise a gaseous stink and attract bottom feeders to come stir up the mud and fling a bit more of it around. It works too, and gives the necro-posters something to smirk about. LOL
Well, (s)he got YOUR attention, so I guess it's working. You shouldn't rise to the bait, or gaseous stink, as it were...
For both of you if necro posting is your most serious problem you have a good life.

A more serious answer is the rather bigoted and unfounded assumption that Americans know nothing about Canada. Rick Mercer's "This Hour Has 24 Minutes" played on that belief and belittled Americans as being morons. My Walter Mitty dream was to have Rick find me, and take him on a merry tour of Canadian history, government and politics on camera. Of course, though, he wouldn't use the footage of the tables being turned. I might ask him, for example:
  1. The proposed name for the combined province that was supposed to take in the land or the current Alberta and Saskatchewan;
  2. The difference between Vimy Ridge and Dieppe;
  3. Whether PM Campbell or Tupper served less time;
  4. To explain the workings of the King-Byng affair; or
  5. The name of the dead dog PM King seanced with (OK, I don't know that one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada