Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 PM

101 posts, read 193,879 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at job offers from Canada, and wanted to know what the cons of each place are, especially in terms of convenience, safety, climate and atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 76,229 times
I highly suggest you go to Vancouver. Although housing costs are very expensive, it is more safe than Toronto, 3 times smaller, convenient and the winters have much less snow. I am 15 right now and live in Vancouver, I love it here. I'm hoping I can live here for the rest of my life.

Convenience:
3 Local mountains 45 minutes away; Grouse, Cypress, Semour. (Cypress is best)
Then theres a FANTASTIC mountain for skiing and snowboarding 2 hour drive away. It take about 45mins to ski from top to bottom; Whister/Blackcomb.
Safety is a slight concern in East Vancouver, so I don't go there often. In West Vancouver, you don't have really anything to worry about. Even in East Vancouver there are places that aren't bad (just a part of it maybe).
In Toronto, in winter it snows A LOT. In Vancouver, if it snows, there's not much of it.
I have never been to Toronto, but heard from quite a few people that there is a very lively atmosphere, and in Vancouver, the atmosphere is more peaceful.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 76,229 times
I forgot to mention, there is a place called Granville Island (you can drive there and park because it's not really an island), you drive across a tiny bridge to get there)that has a nice market and there is a place close to Downtown calle dStanley Park with nice walking and biking trails. The scenery here is AMAZING too.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Vancouver is definitely better than Toronto in most ways. The disadvantage is that people often have a hard time finding equal work, and real estate is a bit more expensive (but Toronto's pricey to). Vancouver is lush, friendly and sophisticated. It doesn't have some of the things Toronto has in that since it's smaller it has fewer clubs/venues and the museums are smaller, but it still has plenty of these things. I chose Vancouver over Toronto to move from Montreal to, and I think it was the right choice. That's not to knock Toronto, there's plenty to like about Toronto, but I prefer Vancouver if you can get a job that pays solid money.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckslover22 View Post
I highly suggest you go to Vancouver. Although housing costs are very expensive, it is more safe than Toronto, 3 times smaller, convenient and the winters have much less snow. I am 15 right now and live in Vancouver, I love it here. I'm hoping I can live here for the rest of my life.

Convenience:
3 Local mountains 45 minutes away; Grouse, Cypress, Semour. (Cypress is best)
Then theres a FANTASTIC mountain for skiing and snowboarding 2 hour drive away. It take about 45mins to ski from top to bottom; Whister/Blackcomb.
Safety is a slight concern in East Vancouver, so I don't go there often. In West Vancouver, you don't have really anything to worry about. Even in East Vancouver there are places that aren't bad (just a part of it maybe).
In Toronto, in winter it snows A LOT. In Vancouver, if it snows, there's not much of it.
I have never been to Toronto, but heard from quite a few people that there is a very lively atmosphere, and in Vancouver, the atmosphere is more peaceful.

I've lived in both cities, spent the first 27 years of my life in Vancouver and now live in Toronto.

First of all, Vancouver safer? Give me a break. In either city its unlikely you're going to mugged walking down the street - this is still Canada after all, but Toronto and its suburbs have significantly lower property crime rates than Metro Vancouver. This is not my opinion, but a statistical fact.

Snow? Toronto on average gets roughly only double Vancouver's annual snowfall, which is very good by Canadian standards. Toronto's winters are colder, but Toronto experiences much longer and hotter summer, and sunnier spring and fall seasons than Vancouver. Neither city has a great climate, but it really comes down to what you prefer. Do you prefer mild temps most of the year, albeit with rain, or can you put up with a bit of snow and cold if you get 4 distinct seasons.

Convenience - Vancouver probably has more recreational activity within a convenient distant than any other city in the world - if that's your thing, however Toronto offers a different type of convenience. Located in the eastern time zone, travel options are cheaper and more extensive. And being the largest city in the country, choices as a consumer are more convenient - in dining, shopping, housing, employment etc.

Atmosphere - Vancouver has a very laid back atmosphere - comparable to a smaller retirement city. The city is built around recreational activities, and this is reflected in the residents attitude towards most things. Toronto has the fast paced vibe of a major international city. Everything here moves quicker, cars, people, business etc.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 PM

210 posts, read 708,248 times
Personally, I'd pick Vancouver over Toronto.

Both are safe, both are expensive, Toronto might have better job opportunities, Vancouver's climate is milder....dare I say there is less perceived attitude in Vancouver? Vancouver is literally one of the most beautiful cities in the world imo, that alone puts in on the top in my mind.

Obviously the choice is up to you and you must decide what's important. Someone like LiberatedinTO can probably offer you tons of good advice as they have lived in both places. I know plently of people who are happy living in either city.

All the best!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,231,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckslover22 View Post
I highly suggest you go to Vancouver. Although housing costs are very expensive, it is more safe than Toronto, 3
Check your facts, crime rate in Vancouver is much higher than TO and has been for over 20 years.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
That's true about safety. Coming from Montreal, I feel much less safe in Vancouver. There's alot of itinerants and addicts about, and my girlfriend finds she's less comfortable going out at night dressed as she'd like to without being leered at and made to feel as if she's put herself at risk, for what that's worth. I don't know if Toronto's any better than that though, I've only visited it, I've never lived there.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eling View Post
I've been looking at job offers from Canada, and wanted to know what the cons of each place are, especially in terms of convenience, safety, climate and atmosphere.
I'd pick Vancouver if you have offers from both cities. People have already stated with Vancouver amenities and I certainly agree with them.

However, Toronto is much better for corporate jobs (a lot more HQs). So if you have difficulty finding jobs then I suggest you visit Toronto.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Toronto: More bigger and more urban than Vancouver. Probably a bit less laid back than Vancouver. Toronto is a good city, but in some ways it feels less unique than a city such as Vancouver. Toronto has better employment opportunities currently.

Vancouver: Vancouver still has plenty of urbanity and enough urbanity for most people, including me. Also, Vancouver is still pretty big. It also has a much more scenic urban meets nature blend that Toronto does not have.

Both Toronto and Vancouver seem equally cosmopolitan. However, Toronto has more Blacks/Hispanics and Vancouver has more Asians. I guess Toronto is a bit more diverse, even though both cities are equally cosmopolitan.

Vancouver is less affordable than Toronto. Vancouver has quite a bit less good employment opportunities than Toronto and also higher cost of living at the same time.

Toronto and Vancouver seem to have an equally low crime rate. However, in Vancouver it is more concentrated in certain areas while Toronto is more scattered all over the city.

If weather matters to someone, Toronto has more of 4 seasons climate than Vancouver and also with warmer summers. Toronto also gets more annual sunshine. Vancouver is much more mild year round, with much warmer and much more mild winters. However, Vancouver usually has colder summers than Toronto and is cloudier year round.

Vancouver and Toronto are some of my favorite places in Canada (my other favorite places in Canada are Montreal, the nature scenery areas of British Columbia and Alberta provinces, Calgary, and Victoria).

It is difficult to choose between Vancouver and Toronto. It is overall a tie for me.

Last edited by ; 02-09-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada