Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 PM

5,909 posts, read 6,125,265 times

Advertisements

Regarding climate, I guess it depends on what kind of climate you like. I personally prefer the kind of winters Toronto gets. I don't like when it's barely cold enough to rain, especially if there's lots of rain like in Vancouver, I'd rather have slightly colder weather but snow instead. Short daylight hours bother me more than cold/rain though.

Ethnically, while Toronto has more Blacks and Latinos and fewer Asians than Vancouver, South Asians and Chinese still make up a larger portion of Toronto's population than blacks and there are still more Filipinos than Latin Americans.

Toronto is bigger and feels like it. It's more hectic/bustling with the pros and cons of that, it has a bigger downtown and bigger inner city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Regarding climate, I guess it depends on what kind of climate you like. I personally prefer the kind of winters Toronto gets. I don't like when it's barely cold enough to rain, especially if there's lots of rain like in Vancouver, I'd rather have slightly colder weather but snow instead. Short daylight hours bother me more than cold/rain though.
+ 1 The cold and snow is quite agreeable.
The temperature can be -6 degree Celsius, but it feels like -11°C or -13°C outdoor. Because it is dry and sunny, people enjoy the outdoor activities.

Quote:
Ethnically, while Toronto has more Blacks and Latinos and fewer Asians than Vancouver, South Asians and Chinese still make up a larger portion of Toronto's population than blacks and there are still more Filipinos than Latin Americans.
This one will be interesting, when the data is made public later this year.
2011 Census release schedule
October 24, 2012
Language
Quote:
Toronto is bigger and feels like it. It's more hectic/bustling with the pros and cons of that, it has a bigger downtown and bigger inner city.
Therefore, harder to manage, plan and implement policies.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM

1,043 posts, read 901,282 times
Toronto if you are looking for nightlife, dining, more cosmopolitan vibe.
Vancouver if you like outdoorsy, quiet, laid back vibe.
They are way different cities - each with their own pros/cons. But the biggest differences (IMO) are above.
Personally I say Toronto all the way

Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM

47 posts, read 86,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckslover22 View Post
i have never been to toronto..........
lol!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 18 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,932,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Toronto if you are looking for nightlife, dining, more cosmopolitan vibe.
Vancouver if you like outdoorsy, quiet, laid back vibe.
They are way different cities - each with their own pros/cons. But the biggest differences (IMO) are above.
Personally I say Toronto all the way
I disagree with aspects of that.

Why do some people not realize that Vancouver still has plenty of urban amenities and urban cultural events?

Vancouver has a ton of annual/monthly cultural events. 2012 Festivals in Vancouver | BC Passport

Some of many examples that website link shows:

Vancouver International Film Festival: 2012 dates TBA
VIFF is among the five largest film festivals in North America. We screen films from 80 countries on 10 screens. The international line-up includes the pick of the world’s top film fests and many undiscovered gems.”

Vancouver International Writers Festival: October 16-21, 2012 on Granville Island
The Vancouver International Writers Festival is one of North America’s premiere literary events, held annually over 6 days in late October. It was inaugurated in 1988 as the brainchild of founding Artistic Director Alma Lee.”

Vancouver Fringe Festival: 2012 dates TBA
The Vancouver International Fringe Festival is BC’s largest theatre festival and North America’s most international Fringe Fest. This year’s Fringe Festival will feature over 600 performances by more than 80 groups over 11 days.”

Dine Out Vancouver: January 20-February 5th
Have fun eating cuisine that defines Vancouver’s regional and international restaurants. The over 200 participating restaurants offer discounted prix fixe menus for mostly dinner and some for lunch.”

Vancouver also has a great cosmopolitan vibe, plenty of great dining options, and the nightlife is good enough.

There is plenty of things to do in both Vancouver and Toronto. They are both great cities.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 PM

984 posts, read 1,317,014 times
Depends on what you like.
Wages are definately lower in Vancouver and the cost of housing is the most expensive in the English speaking world. Toronto has the lower crime rate.
If you like the outdoor lifestlye then Vancouver is your place.
If you are a true urbanite than it's Toronto all the way...........better restaurants and better variety, better shopping, theatre, the arts, museuems, nightlife, and tons of festivals. Cpmapred to Toronto, Vancouver is still a very sleepy little town.
Like I said, depends on what you like.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,139,737 times
I hear everyone saying Vancouver is less affordable than Toronto but just last year Toronto was named the most expensive city in Canada and it surpassed Vancouver.......

Toronto trumps Vancouver as country's most expensive city - The Globe and Mail

However, in my opinion Toronto is a much better city to live. Largest country in Canada, Better economy, More culture, Better location (To many other large cites), Better weather, Better restaurants and more entertainment and more things to do in Toronto. The only disadvantage I see is the high cost of living. I find Toronto much better and more of a funner place to live. To be honest I'm actually not a fan of Vancouver at all but that's a different topic. Toronto for me.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 AM

377 posts, read 1,696,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
I hear everyone saying Vancouver is less affordable than Toronto but just last year Toronto was named the most expensive city in Canada and it surpassed Vancouver.......

Toronto trumps Vancouver as country's most expensive city - The Globe and Mail

However, in my opinion Toronto is a much better city to live. Largest country in Canada, Better economy, More culture, Better location (To many other large cites), Better weather, Better restaurants and more entertainment and more things to do in Toronto. The only disadvantage I see is the high cost of living. I find Toronto much better and more of a funner place to live. To be honest I'm actually not a fan of Vancouver at all but that's a different topic. Toronto for me.
These reports bother me because they are usually pretty far removed from reality. I can't speak for what the cost of living would be like for say a single person living in the downtown core, but all I can say is that for a family of 3 in the suburbs - living in the the GTA is significantly less expensive than living in Metro Van. We spend about 30% less here for basics like housing, groceries, daycare, transportation etc, and have increased our standard of living as well.

Toronto and Vancouver may be close in terms of what cities are expensive looking at pure dollars going out, but in terms of affordability (which is expenses in relation to incomes), Toronto comes out way ahead of Vancouver.

Vancouver and Honolulu are probably the only two cities high on the list of most expensive in the world that do not have the employment base and business opportunity to support it's ridiculous cost. This is not a problem in London, New York, Toronto etc.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM

984 posts, read 1,317,014 times
Those survey are quite useful for most things but their one glaring downfall is that they use RENTALS. That is of course fine if you are going to rent but if you are intending to buy then Vancouver is MUCH more expensive. Not only are wages lower but buying even a small condo is obscenely expensive and is you want to and you end up spending 70 to 90% of your income on your shelter it doesn't matter how expensive everything else is, the bottom line is that you are still living like a palper.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 PM

142 posts, read 443,164 times
Vancouver is a first impression city, scratch the surface and you're not going to uncover much in the way culture. Toronto's bigger and uglier but as a person who likes big cities and all that goes with living in one, i'd choose Toronto over Vancouver any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada