Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 39,030 times

Advertisements

Good day,
I have been accepted to study at 2 colleges, Toronto and Vancouver, I would like to know which city is better to study and things such as transport, people, weather, nightlife, etc
I was reading on the internet that Vancouver has warmer climate, however is expensive
And Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermelon View Post
Good day,
I have been accepted to study at 2 colleges, Toronto and Vancouver, I would like to know which city is better to study and things such as transport, people, weather, nightlife, etc
I was reading on the internet that Vancouver has warmer climate, however is expensive
And Toronto?
I think it depends on what you are studying and which schools accepted you. Your education will hopefully open up doors to move anywhere you want for the rest of your life, so focus on that first.

With that said Toronto and Vancouver are very different places but could be equally as great places to live and study depending on your interests.

Public Transportation is strong in both (Based on N. American standards). People are people everywhere, there are slight differences, but there are good and bad people in both. Weather is milder in Vancouver. Nightlife is tame in both, but Toronto's scene is more lively and varied. Finally both are not affordable by any means, but I think Vancouver's COL issues are exasperated by the significantly lower wages and job opportunities as compared to Toronto.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for your answer... I will study Culinary Arts, I think Vancouver has a big asiatic influence, so thats a good thing. On the other hand Toronto should be more "international"
what about job opportunities for chefs in both cities?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,553 times
I think there are good opportunities to find work in the culinary arts in both cities. Toronto is a bigger city so there will always be more opportunities in terms of raw numbers. I think the people will be similar in both cities, both cities are reserved, civil, liberal-minded Canadian cities that have large Asian populations. I think the best place for you will depend on what works best in terms of your interests:

Toronto
-Bigger city so more amenities and businesses
-Have four seasons but will have to deal with winter, you may or may not like that
-Probably could make more money since wages are higher in general
-Better options for nightlife
-Could be more stressful with long commutes

Vancouver
-More moderate climate. Never gets as cold but more grey weather
-More laid back and relaxing atmosphere
-More hippy and west coast feel
-More expensive to live than Toronto with lower wages
-Amazing outdoors activities/beauty with mountains, oceans, etc.

You will have to decide what fits your personality/lifestyle better.

Last edited by johnathanc; 09-26-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Thanks man.
Well I like the nature and I do prefer small cities.
I was reading a lot on this forum and people say that job opportunities are harder to find in Vancouver, so I do not know.
But on Kijiji if you look at the rental prices are the same in TO and Vancouver.
Im Italian and the rental prices are higher and the salaries lower, so lets do it.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermelon View Post
Thanks man.
Well I like the nature and I do prefer small cities.
I was reading a lot on this forum and people say that job opportunities are harder to find in Vancouver, so I do not know.
But on Kijiji if you look at the rental prices are the same in TO and Vancouver.
Im Italian and the rental prices are higher and the salaries lower, so lets do it.
You're Italian....then I would go with Toronto.
Lots more Italians there (500,000?)

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 PM

78 posts, read 275,066 times
Toronto has much warmer summers and real four seasons with snow in winter. Toronto is much larger, more things to see/do, more European population, great lake beaches, lots of buildings and skyscrapers, great food and museums. It's also close to Montreal, Niagara Falls, NYC, Boston, Philly etc. within driving distance or bus ride

Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
Vancouver's summers are nice and many prefer them over Toronto's hot and sticky ones...but I prefer Toronto's summers. Every other season, Vancouver wins, and it is more scenically impressive. Vancouver is just too gray for me, though. Never really explored Vancouver, but I think I'd rather live in Toronto just because it has more sunshine and it the bigger (and cheaper) city. Vancouver seems like one of those places that is 'great for vacation, but not to live'. Toronto seems like it's better to live in, and alright for a vacation.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,230,955 times
Fall in Toronto is amazing and beats fall in Vancouver hands down!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:58 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,926 times
Toronto is hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter but Vancouver has lovely sunny summers but the winters are grey and very rainy to the point of being depressing.

If your Italian, Toronto is by far the best choice and while both are good restaurant cities Toronto offers a far superior variety of ethnic foods whereas Vancouver is so heavily influenced by Asian food that European, African, Latin American foods are few and far between.

If you are a student Toronto has a better nightlife and it's urban vibrancy far outshine Vancouver but if you are outdoorsy then Vancouver offers more options. Both are expensive but their rents are basically the same but food, gas, basically everything else is more expensive in Vancouver but has lower wages. Toronto offers a better student experience all things considered and Vancouver is very isolated so any travel is expensive and a long journey to get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada