Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most potential?
Vancouver 2 11.11%
Toronto 16 88.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM

70 posts, read 82,043 times

Advertisements

Which city has the most potential for a World-Class Electronic Dance Music Nightclub. Breakdown the the good, the bad, the ugly of both city, and ease of business, crime/safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,545,267 times
Toronto is much, much bigger and is generally more friendly to things that are gigantic. Vancouver would be afraid of a world's biggest anything, while Toronto is all about that. Build the world's biggest nightclub in Toronto, it loves that sort of thing.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM

311 posts, read 1,140,343 times
Definitely Toronto.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,603,345 times
Definitely Toronto over Vancouver, hands down. Don't even bother looking at Vancouver, the population alone will not support it.

But I think your business idea is highly risky in Toronto. I'm not really in this scene anymore given my age but I find there are very few cities that can support mega-large night clubs. Some things to think about:

-From what I recall, Toronto already has two very large clubs being Guvernment and The Docks (forgive me if there is more but my knowledge is old) therefore I question whether it can support another. Both these places tend to get more busy in the summer or during special events and primarily draw from a big contingent from the suburbs.
-I find the trend is towards smaller venues in Toronto. Even when I was in my party days, large clubs would open but wouldn't last. The hip spots tend to be smaller, mid-sized from what I see nowadays.
-Also, the cost of opening a mega club would be huge (given real estate prices) and you'd have to rely on lots of tourists as well, and Toronto is not like a NY or London where the tourist foot traffic alone can be counted on to fill up a venue.
-Also focusing on Electronic Music alone can limit the crowd. Definitely popular in the city but it seems Bands via live music and hip hop, reggae, etc. are popular too. Toronto has ecletic tastes in music and so having a big venue focusing on just one form of music may not work.
-Remember too this is North America and not Europe. I have a feeling you may be looking from abroad. People go out and party here but not to the same degree as Europe (in my experience, which is a more social work-life balance). A mega nightclub will be only filled with people with an average age of early 20s here. So I would be concerned with getting this demographic. The downtown crowd will be younger professionals in mid-late 20s and 30s and I don't see them going to a 'mega' club.

Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt because I still go out but not so much to nightclubs anymore but based on what I know and what you said, I find it risky. Perhaps someone who is more in this scene can provide a better overview of the landscape.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 PM

48 posts, read 64,737 times
I think Toronto. Vancouver is restrained by its geography. Toronto could in theory grow all the way up to Barrie someday.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM

21 posts, read 30,730 times
I'm hardly a fan of Toronto, but it beats Vancouver by a long shot. Vancouver is essentially a giant generic yuppie's paradise, albeit in a very beautiful region. Overall, Toronto is a big mess. But that's what makes it interesting, thus it's ability to provide potential. Vancouver doesn't strike me as interesting, just very generic.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM

311 posts, read 1,140,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
I'm hardly a fan of Toronto, but it beats Vancouver by a long shot. Vancouver is essentially a giant generic yuppie's paradise, albeit in a very beautiful region. Overall, Toronto is a big mess. But that's what makes it interesting, thus it's ability to provide potential. Vancouver doesn't strike me as interesting, just very generic.
That's why Montreal is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada