Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM

129 posts, read 244,130 times

Advertisements

vancouver is way milder in the winter, friendlier, cleaner decent transportation (not much traffic) Vancouver any day of trhe week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM

311 posts, read 1,140,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
These reports bother me because they are usually pretty far removed from reality. I can't speak for what the cost of living would be like for say a single person living in the downtown core, but all I can say is that for a family of 3 in the suburbs - living in the the GTA is significantly less expensive than living in Metro Van. We spend about 30% less here for basics like housing, groceries, daycare, transportation etc, and have increased our standard of living as well.

Toronto and Vancouver may be close in terms of what cities are expensive looking at pure dollars going out, but in terms of affordability (which is expenses in relation to incomes), Toronto comes out way ahead of Vancouver.

Vancouver and Honolulu are probably the only two cities high on the list of most expensive in the world that do not have the employment base and business opportunity to support it's ridiculous cost. This is not a problem in London, New York, Toronto etc.
Yeah that's true. I guess they meant just renting probably.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,140,007 times
I'd much rather have a hot summer over a cool one, rather than a mild winter over a cold one..... But that's just me.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,978 times
Hi Guys,

I read all yours comments. I appreciate for your time and efforts to express your views which is certainly helpful for those who would like to compare and find the best place that suits them. However, as for me the most beautiful place is in your mind. If you mind is beautiful, every thing, everywhere, everyone will be beautiful. And mind can be beautiful when you have good financial income source, comfortable living, loving people around you, good health etc. these are some of the most important factors that always affect in our beautiful life. There are challenges every where. There are crimes every where. There are bad people every where. There are good people also every where. There is nowhere 100% perfect anywhere, neither VANCOUVER, NOR SWITZERLAND. We need all bad and good, sun and rain, happy and sorrow, pain and gain, we need all these to make our life interesting. There is nothing permanent in this world-Neither good times nor bad times. Good times and bad times both come and go. We should learn to enjoy in both situation. We should always try for the best and accept the worst keeping ourselves happy and content. No matter what, LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. And this life is the final opportunity to live on this earth. We can not live even one day twice. Living today with immense joy and happiness watching all pain and gain is the only way to live this life happily. But everyone is free to chose to live happily or sadly. Both are available and it is equal to everyone without any discrimination/ Cheers! and wish you all a BEAUTIFUL LIFE.
Life is beautiful! Yes, it is.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,597,184 times
I'd pick Van for three reasons. Mountains, ocean and flora. These things Toronto does not have. The flora is, giant trees, huge flowering plants that do not grow in TO and just the vast difference in bushes and flowers. Everything else is a wash.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM

482 posts, read 2,421,348 times
Believe it or not, rent is lower in Vancouver once you get outside the downtown "cool" areas. Food and automotive (inc. gasoline) are much more pricy though than Toronto but still doesn't make up for the rent savings.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 66,354 times
Default Jobs in Canada

There is plenty of work in BC but you have to decide if not having friends, be treated like an unwanted immigrant, coldness is communication is what you want for yourself.

There is high competition for work in Toronto but if you do find a job, you will have to battle the distinct four seasons and this is not easy for anyone.

Quebec is very european. You can find work there but it's easier if you speak french fluently.

The maritimes is tough all around.

After living and working in BC for a few years now, I made a very uncomfortable trade off for milder weather to live in a backwards place that tries to act modern.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,184,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToronto View Post
There is plenty of work in BC but you have to decide if not having friends, be treated like an unwanted immigrant, coldness is communication is what you want for yourself.

There is high competition for work in Toronto but if you do find a job, you will have to battle the distinct four seasons and this is not easy for anyone.

Quebec is very european. You can find work there but it's easier if you speak french fluently.

The maritimes is tough all around.

After living and working in BC for a few years now, I made a very uncomfortable trade off for milder weather to live in a backwards place that tries to act modern.
In what ways would you consider British Columbian society 'backwards'?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 PM

984 posts, read 1,317,743 times
I personally wouldn't call British Columbians "backwards" but they are very very parochial. The difference is even more glaring when comparing Toronto to Vancouver. Toronto is an important international city with a worldly outlook while Vancouver is very much a regional city who's citizens are often self absorbed and very insecure.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I personally wouldn't call British Columbians "backwards" but they are very very parochial. The difference is even more glaring when comparing Toronto to Vancouver. Toronto is an important international city with a worldly outlook while Vancouver is very much a regional city who's citizens are often self absorbed and very insecure.
Thanks for sharing, mooguy. It's always interesting to hear others' views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada