Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,101 times

Advertisements

I've never understood travel trailer "camping" and really don't consider it to be camping. Doesn't having the travel trailer with all of the same amenities that you have at home sort of defeat the purpose of being out in the woods? Not saying it's wrong or anything, I'm just curious as to the rational of the folks that haul all of their creature comforts with them in a travel trailer or toy hauler when heading out into the wilderness as apposed to setting up a tent and building a camp fire. If you're going to watch TV and cook on the stove in the travel trailer, why not just stay home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,997,958 times
Just because you use a trailer doesn't mean your not camping. We still do all our cooking outside and have a camp fire. In fact, the only time we are inside is to sleep and to potty. Granted, you can go more places in just a tent, but camping is camping. Just do it.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,668 times
From my perspective.....
My husband and I always tent camped at least 5 times a year. With the dogs and kids/grandkids. We had lots of fun. Now, we're older and retired and want to be able to camp but still would like a little more comfort. We're in PNW where rain happens a lot. We just got back from Champoeg on the Willamette and dodged the rain and hail, but still had a great time. We still cook outside on the coleman and roast weenies in the fire.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I've never understood travel trailer "camping" and really don't consider it to be camping. Doesn't having the travel trailer with all of the same amenities that you have at home sort of defeat the purpose of being out in the woods? Not saying it's wrong or anything, I'm just curious as to the rational of the folks that haul all of their creature comforts with them in a travel trailer or toy hauler when heading out into the wilderness as apposed to setting up a tent and building a camp fire. If you're going to watch TV and cook on the stove in the travel trailer, why not just stay home?
Obviously you've never owned a travel trailer. We started out tent camping, then went on to a pop up camper, and now to a travel trailer, and we totally enjoy camping. There's noting wrong with having a few extra comforts, especially as you get older (LOL).

Tent camping works for you-now; who knows what the future will hold for you, but in the mean time, instead of finding fault with us travel trailer campers, just enjoy camping with us.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
We do both.

We boondock with ours, I don't see going to a campground just to have neighbors closer than we do at home, that's socializing not camping.

We use our camper as a base-camp then we hike into the wilderness or go Mountaineering, then we use the tent.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
There's noting wrong with having a few extra comforts, especially as you get older (LOL).
I guess I can understand that.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,997,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I guess I can understand that.
I hope you are enjoying it enough to understand what we are saying someday.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
Ditto to what the other said about having comforts as we get older. (arthritis hurts enough without the dampness and hard ground under a tent)

We do all our camping in the wilderness, NOT in a trailer park with neighbors on each side.

Just being up off the ground on a bed is wonderful. Cupboards instead of boxes for supplies, a table instead of squatting on the ground (really roughing it), a furnace for those chilly nights or cold, rainy days, a flush toilet and a sink with hot running water to do dishes in makes life much easier.

BTW, we never watch TV when we're camping in our trailer. We don't even have one in our trailer. The beautiful call of the loons on the lake are entertainment enough in the evenings.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Here's another oldster that prefers a little more comfort while camping in our 5th wheel. No, we don't have a tv either, and as long as fires aren't banned due to high fire dangers, we always have a campfire going, at least from mid-afternoon until late into the night. We cook on it and just sit around it to keep warm and enjoy the fire.

Then it's into the cozy camper with the furnace, electric lights and running water with a flush toilet and warm shower. We're pampered campers.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,668 times
And.....when we're traveling to visit friends/family or just traveling, we prefer to stay in our trailer in a lovely campground as opposed to renting a motel room. Some might say..."why are they choosing to rough it in an RV instead of staying in the comfort of a hotel room?"
I guess it's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing