Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,908,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A travel trailer is that -- it's easier to "camp" out in someone's driveway in a travel trailer than in a tent. You can go to someone's wedding much easier if you stay in a travel trailer than if you stay in a tent.

I would love to tent camp again -- but if it rains the whole time then a tent isn't always that great a time -- since I work, my vacation time has to be fun enough. Plus out in bear country it's a bit safer in a trailer. And like the poster above said, it's a lot easier if you're traveling with dogs, cats or whatever -- you can't go out and do something without taking the dogs along if you're in a tent. You're then limited to only that where dogs are allowed.
Depending on how fastidious you are, the opposite is true.
A bear will rip through a trailer in no time if it thinks there is a meal in there.

Most people store food in their trailer. Food attracts animals.
Lots of people stupidly store food in their tent too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,361,260 times
I have a travel trailer, tent trailer and tents, I use whatever suits my need at the time. I still enjoy camping in a tent the most, mainly because I like to go to secluded areas where a trailer is not practical. I bought the trailer so I can be ready and gone in a hurry. tent, trailer or whatever it's all about getting away.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
I still do both!

There's my truck camper and there's my friends tent. It was a really, really hard decision to decide where to sleep at hunting camp. Camper or tent.. camper or tent.. decisions, decisions...

Ahh well- sleeping in my bed won out over having to sleep in a cot next to a dirty old woodstove, lol

Last edited by Threerun; 06-05-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,009,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Ahh well- sleeping in my bed won out over having to sleep in a cot next to a dirty old woodstove, lol
A woodstove in a tent? Does he LIVE in the tent or haul the woodstove on his back to the camping site?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,908,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
A woodstove in a tent? Does he LIVE in the tent or haul the woodstove on his back to the camping site?
Big ole outfitter tents like that have full provisions for stoves built in - zip out floors, heat-shielded roof openings, etc.
You aren't hiking anywhere with one of those tents though! Besides being huge, even small ones weigh over 30 lbs! Big ones (much bigger than that one) can weigh 75-100 lbs.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It's a hunting tent, so yes it has a wood stove. It's very cold by the time hunting season comes around.

It's a wall tent. Those are set up as a base camp for hunters, so it is like having a very small cabin. They are hauled in and set up at the start of hunting season and taken home at the end of hunting season.

It's common for a group of buddies to be sharing the wall tent.

They are too much trouble to set up to be used for regular family short stay camping trips. Could someone live in one? Sure, if they owned a spot to leave it set up, but the wood stove doesn't indicate full time habitation. The stove is hauled in and set up with the tent and hauled out at the end of the season.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
That tent has been hauled into the Bob Marshall Wilderness on horseback many times. Same with the stove.

Two days after that picture was taken we were hit with this:

My truck never moved from the first photo. I stayed put. 3-4 ft of snow and −17 and I kept that stove rockin' and kept very comfortable in the tent.

No jacket required!

Last edited by Threerun; 06-06-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Big ole outfitter tents like that have full provisions for stoves built in - zip out floors, heat-shielded roof openings, etc.
You aren't hiking anywhere with one of those tents though! Besides being huge, even small ones weigh over 30 lbs! Big ones (much bigger than that one) can weigh 75-100 lbs.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought because my Aunt and Uncle had one much like that one in the 1950s. They set it up on my parent's property for the summer months - May to October. But they didn't have a woodstove in it. They mainly used it for long weekends but my Aunt would stay there for a few weeks at a time with my cousins. I remember it taking several men to get it put up on that wood platform they built for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

......They are too much trouble to set up to be used for regular family short stay camping trips. Could someone live in one? Sure, if they owned a spot to leave it set up, but the wood stove doesn't indicate full time habitation. The stove is hauled in and set up with the tent and hauled out at the end of the season.....
I know they can be lived in because my Aunt had one similar that they used as a summer place on Long Island in the 1950s. They had those gas lanterns for light. A Coleman stove on a crude wood table. They had some kind of old army cots they slept on. A hand pump for water... but took their showers in my parent's bungalow just down the slope (not daily). They were as independent as possible, using an outhouse further off in the woods. We wont mention the smell and flies.... Oddly enough, I can't remember an ice cooler but they must have had one, but then I was just a kid.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That tent has been hauled into the Bob Marshall Wilderness on horseback many times. Same with the stove.
I didn't know something like that was allowed on Public Lands, but then I'm from the east coast.

Quote:
My truck never moved from the first photo. I stayed put. 3-4 ft of snow and −17 and I kept that stove rockin' and kept very comfortable in the tent.

No jacket required!
I believe it. Those wood stoves put out a lot of heat. How long were you "stuck" there with the heavy snows? Surely you couldn't hunt in snow that deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing